The kingdom of God.

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

The kingdom of God.

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

Some seem to think it is entirely future, while others give the impression they are always thinking of it as present, and to not be looking at the future in kingdom terms at all.

Jesus had much to say about the kingdom, including this:
Luke 16:

6 The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is being zealously urged into it.
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: The kingdom of God.

Post #1221

Post by JehovahsWitness »

MissKate13 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:42 am There is much being done around the world to feed the poor.

Okay so has hunger been eliminated? Will it be? You have already indicated that you do not believe it will. Indeed to sum up your theology, despite the numerous scriptures that speak of an idyllic earth with no suffering (a return to the paradise garden conditions Adam and Eve originally enjoyed on this planet earth in the flesh) ...

your theology concludes ...
1. God will NEVER directly intervene in the rulership of this literal planet EARTH .
2. Christ will never literally kill off all the wicked
3. The govenment Jesus leads will NEVER fully resolve all the problems that plague mankind.
4. Life in heaven is the only hope for the meek to live in idlyllic conditions.
The biblical teaching
1. God will directly intervene in the rulership of this literal planet EARTH (see Rev 21: 1-3)
2. Christ will literally kill off all the wicked (Isaiah 11:4)
3. The govenment Jesus leads will fully resolve all the problems plague mankind (Isaiah 9:6, 7; Mat 6:10)
4. Life on EARTH is the hope for most the meek to live in idlyllic conditions (Mat 5:5)

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #1222

Post by 2timothy316 »

MissKate13 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:42 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:03 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:54 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #1216]

That is a heartbreaking image and starvation as got to stop. So far the 'kingdom inside people' has done nothing for that little boy and the millions of others that starve to death every year. I personally need to see something that is REAL and actually does something. I can't do it, people with 'the kingdom inside them' can't do it. If there was only someone here that could tell us from the Bible of a government that will do something... ;)
I have to agree, and therein lies the real harm of the "the kingdom is in our hearts" theology not only does it lead to callous indifference of human suffering but it distracts from the simple but powerful message of hope.
There is much being done around the world to feed the poor. Christians are very generous, particularly here in the USA. I know the congregation I worship with is very involved with supporting children and others in our community. As individuals we do much to help the homeless.
It's pitifully, drastically, woefully, not enough as long as we are supposed to rely on people to do it.
Remember what Jesus said. The poor will always be with us. The kingdom is here, my friend. It is spiritual in nature, but its works can be seen throughout the world.
Being poor and starving to death are not the same. I can be rich and starve to death and I have seen many over wight poor people. Changing the context of a scripture is not valid and I don't care if it is here or not, this 'kingdom within people' you speak of is impotent compared to The Kingdom that the Bible speaks of will be able to cure all the things that this 'kingdom within' can't do.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #1223

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #1221]

I ask again. Is the kingdom here now? Yes or no. It’s a simple question. Either it is or it is not. Which is it?

You claim that numerous scriptures speak of an idyllic earth with no suffering (a return to the paradise garden conditions Adam and Eve originally enjoyed on this planet earth in the flesh) ...

Please quote your two favorites passages that say what you’ve claimed above so we can discuss them.
Last edited by MissKate13 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

MissKate13
Sage

Post #1224

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #1222]

You wrote: “Being poor and starving to death are not the same. I can be rich and starve to death and I have seen many over wight poor people. Changing the context of a scripture is not valid and I don't care if it is here or not, this 'kingdom within people' you speak of is impotent compared to The Kingdom that the Bible speaks of will be able to cure all the things that this 'kingdom within' can't do.”

Kate’s Response: Some translations have Jesus saying “the kingdom is within you.” Others have Jesus saying, “the kingdom is in your midst.” I’m no Greek language expert, so I can’t say which is the better interpretation.

What I can say with all certainty is that the kingdom is here now Jesus is KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS! You can choose to accept that truth and be in His kingdom, or you can reject it, and be in the kingdom of darkness. I have repeatedly provided Scriptures which show the kingdom is present now and Jesus reigning over it from His throne in heaven.

You have not so much as attempted to refute the Scriptures I’ve provided below. Until you do, you have no argument. All your talk about poor starving people proves nothing. It does not negate the words of the following passages. The kingdom is here!!!

Colossians 1:13-14
“He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of His beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption,d the forgiveness of sins.

Revelation 1:9
I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance that are in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and my testimony about Jesus.

Hebrews 12:28-29

28 Therefore, since we are receiving an unshakable kingdom, let us be filled with gratitude, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe. 29 “For our God is a consuming fire.”

Is the kingdom here? Yes or no? It’s a simple question.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #1225

Post by 2timothy316 »

MissKate13 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:38 am [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #1222]

You wrote: “Being poor and starving to death are not the same. I can be rich and starve to death and I have seen many over wight poor people. Changing the context of a scripture is not valid and I don't care if it is here or not, this 'kingdom within people' you speak of is impotent compared to The Kingdom that the Bible speaks of will be able to cure all the things that this 'kingdom within' can't do.”

Kate’s Response: Some translations have Jesus saying “the kingdom is within you.” Others have Jesus saying, “the kingdom is in your midst.” I’m no Greek language expert, so I can’t say which is the better interpretation.

What I can say with all certainty is that the kingdom is here now Jesus is KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS! You can choose to accept that truth and be in His kingdom, or you can reject it, and be in the kingdom of darkness. I have repeatedly provided Scriptures which show the kingdom is present now and Jesus reigning over it from His throne in heaven.

You have not so much as attempted to refute the Scriptures I’ve provided below. Until you do, you have no argument. All your talk about poor starving people proves nothing. It does not negate the words of the following passages. The kingdom is here!!!

Colossians 1:13-14
“He has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of His beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption,d the forgiveness of sins.

Revelation 1:9
I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and kingdom and perseverance that are in Jesus, was on the island of Patmos because of the word of God and my testimony about Jesus.

Hebrews 12:28-29

28 Therefore, since we are receiving an unshakable kingdom, let us be filled with gratitude, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe. 29 “For our God is a consuming fire.”

Is the kingdom here? Yes or no? It’s a simple question.
No, it is not here on the earth yet and it is not in people. When God's kingdom comes to earth everyone will know it.

“In the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed. And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever." Dan 2:44

It clearly states that God's kingdom will not be passed to people at all and that it will crush all other human governments. A 'kingdom in people' could never accomplish this.

The 'kingdom in people' is a weak and false kingdom that can't do anything but mislead people from the real government that will actually be able to do something about the world's problems.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1226

Post by onewithhim »

OneWay wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:52 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:51 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:11 pm 3. The world will be destroyed.
Do you mean the planet earth? If God destroys the earth how can he rule over it forever?
How come you do not believe all things are possible to God?
That is a cop-out. Just answer the questions. There are things that God cannot do......he cannot die; he cannot build a mountain so high that he himself cannot go over it; he cannot lie, and I would be willing to bet that he cannot say he will rule over the earth forever and yet not. Jehovah wants us to use our God-given powers of reason and not rely on circuitous smoke-and-mirrors attempts at explaining something (that you really can't explain and are just throwing anything on the wall to see what will stick).

onewithhim
Savant

Post #1227

Post by onewithhim »

OneWay wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:02 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:55 pm
OneWay wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:52 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:51 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:11 pm 3. The world will be destroyed.
Do you mean the planet earth? If God destroys the earth how can he rule over it forever?
Including lie?

See edit above.
If it were not possible for God to lie then
it would be a lie to say all things are possible to God.

Oh wait a minute

All things are possible to God.

That's just it----ALL things are not possible to God. See my post above.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #1228

Post by JehovahsWitness »

MissKate13 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:14 amYou claim that numerous scriptures speak of an idyllic earth with no suffering (a return to the paradise garden conditions Adam and Eve originally enjoyed on this planet earth in the flesh) ...Please quote your two favorites passages that say what you’ve claimed above so we can discuss them.
Why two? Are you afraid of the rest of the bible? Jehovahs Witnesses don't pick and choose scriptures in isolation in order to try and make the bible say what we want it to say, unlike some, we take a wholistic approach. See below...

THE BIBLE SAYS ....

DESTRUCTION OF ALL WICKED PEOPLE

PROVERBS 2: 21, 22

For only the upright will reside in the earth and the blameless will remain in it. As for the wicked, they will be cut off from the earth ...
ISAIAH 11: 4 ESV

but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth; and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked.
PSALMS 37:10, 11

Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, and they will not be there. But the meek will possess the earth, and they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace
ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT
ISAIAH 9:6 ESV

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
MATTHEW 6:10

Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth
DANIEL 2:44

... And this kingdom will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms,+ and it alone will stand forever

AN END TO WAR
PSALM 46:9

He is bringing an end to wars throughout the earth. He breaks the bow and shatters the spear; He burns the military wagons with fire.
ISAIAH 2:2-4

They will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore.
EARTHWIDE UNENDING PEACE
ISIAIAH 9:6b , 7

His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. To the increase of his rulership And to peace, there will be no end, On the throne of David and on his kingdom In order to establish it firmly and to sustain it Through justice and righteousness, From now on and forever
PSALMS 72: 7

In his days the righteous will flourish and peace will abound until the moon is no more.
ISAIAH 11

They will not cause any harm Or any ruin in all my holy mountain, because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters cover the sea..

AN END TO FAMINE AND FOOD SHORTAGES

PSALMS 72:16

There will be an abundance of grain on the earth; On the top of the mountains it will overflow; His fruit will flourish as in Lebanon, and in the cities people will blossom like the vegetation of the earth.
ISAIAH 65:21, 22

They will build houses and live in them and they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat. For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree, And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full.
AN END TO SICKNESS, OLD AGE AND DEATH

ISAIAH 33:24

And no resident* will say: “I am sick.” The people dwelling in the land will be pardoned for their error
JOB 33: 25 - Good News Translation

Their bodies will grow young and strong again
REVELATION 21:4

And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

THE KINGDOM, THE MILLENIUM and ...THE EARTHLY PARADISE

VARIOUS TRANSLATIONS : PLANET EARTH

Psalms 37:29 "The righteous themselves will possess THE EARTH, and they will reside forever upon it."
Isaiah 11: 9
There shall be no harm or ruin on all my holy mountain; for THE EARTH shall be filled with knowledge of the LORD, as water covers the sea." -- New American Bible

Proverbs 2 v 21, 22 Douay-Rheims Bible
"For they that are upright shall dwell in THE EARTH, and the simple shall continue in it. But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it. -- King James Bible

Matthew 5: 5 American Standard Version
"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit THE EARTH."

Matthew 6 v 10 Young's Literal Translationn "Thy reign come: Thy will come to pass, as in heaven also on THE EARTH."

Isaiah 11: 9 " They will not do any harm or cause any ruin in all my holy mountain; because THE EARTH will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters are covering the very sea." NWT

PSALMS 72v8
May he also rule from sea to sea And from the River to the ends of THE EARTH. New American Standard Bible

Psalms 37:11:
"But the meek ones themselves will possess THE EARTH, and they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace."
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:11 pm, edited 11 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #1229

Post by myth-one.com »

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:40 am Some seem to think it is entirely future, while others give the impression they are always thinking of it as present, and to not be looking at the future in kingdom terms at all.

Jesus had much to say about the kingdom, including this:
Luke 16:

6 The Law and the Prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is being zealously urged into it.
So, where do you stand as to whether it is present, future, or has both a present and a future aspect?

On what basis?

According to which scriptures?

Two type of bodies are defined in the Bible -- natural and spiritual.

Likewise, there are two different worlds or kingdoms -- the natural (or physical) world and the spiritual world.

Mankind is restricted to life in the physical world.

Spirits are unrestricted.

God is a Spirit and existed from the beginning -- so the Kingdom of God has always existed and will exist forever as spirits are immortal.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #1230

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #1228]

I asked for two so we could discuss them at length. I don’t know about you but trying to discuss a whole lot of Scriptures in one post can be overwhelming, for me anyway. So if you’d like to give me a couple, great. If not, I’ll move on.