"I do not fear death because I am in Christ."

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

"I do not fear death because I am in Christ."

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

I just heard this statement by a person who is much in the news these days.

Is this a valid statement?

Does anyone have the right to express such confidence?

What would qualify one to feel this confidence?

I'll refrain for now from reveling the identity of the person who made this claim. If a robust discussion develops, I'll reveal their identity and then we can discuss if that changes any opinions.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Re: "I do not fear death because I am in Christ."

Post #31

Post by William »

bjs1 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:46 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:07 am [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

What we find in this case is a Christian who believes that they are "in Christ" and therefore doesn't fear the consequences of their murderous actions. They consider this lifetime a brief prelude to an eternal life they'll spend with some of the individuals they murdered in the previous one. So much for the superiority of Christian morality.
This is a strange statement. Do you know a lot of Christians who regularly commit murder? If you mean this in the historical sense then it is worth remembering that atheists have killed far more people in the name of ending religion than religious people killed in order to spread their religion.
Shouldn't the point be, that whatever a murderers claimed position is, the action of murder isn't related to the position claimed?

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #32

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Tcg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:48 pm .
No one should ever have the right to express such things. Its an abomination.

But the dictators in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of the United Nations would think otherwise
Article 19
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

We need to have a revolution... these tyrannical authorities are enslaving people to liberty. its outrageous
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Tcg
Savant

Post #33

Post by Tcg »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:55 pm

But the dictators in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of the United Nations would think otherwise
Article 19
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

We need to have a revolution... these tyrannical authorities are enslaving people to liberty. its outrageous
I worded that question poorly. People have the right to express it, what I really intended to ask is if people are correct to have such confidence. In this case it is complicated by the fact that the person expressing such confidence is a convicted murderer responsible for 6 deaths and 61 serious injuries. One would think that would give one reason for doubt.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #34

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Tcg wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:40 pm

Article 19

I worded that question poorly. People have the right to express it, what I really intended to ask is if people are correct to have such confidence. In this case it is complicated by the fact that the person expressing such confidence is a convicted murderer responsible for 6 deaths and 61 serious injuries. One would think that would give one reason for doubt.

Tcg
Murderous Paul expressed the same things

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #35

Post by Shem Yoshi »

I dont know the man you talk of, but let us question this.

Can God save anyone?

Lets amuse salvation.... If someone can be saved only because they are polite, then what did Jesus die for? If God can not save a wretched sinner, the worse of men, then who can be saved?

If even one man's sins is too great for Gods salvation, then every mans salvation is brought into scrutiny, and so is the power of God.

Tcg
Savant

Post #36

Post by Tcg »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:47 pm

Article 19

Tcg
And whoever wrote the gospel of John.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by Purple Knight »

Tcg wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:48 pm "I do not fear death because I am in Christ."
Yes he does. That's all I have to say to this.

Yes, he does.

Everyone does.

Some people claim they don't eat and poop too, but they do.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #38

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Tcg wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:14 am
Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:47 pm

Article 19

Tcg
And whoever wrote the gospel of John.

Tcg
So should any man fear death? For what reason should a man fear, or not fear death?
Last edited by Shem Yoshi on Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DJT_47
Student

Post #39

Post by DJT_47 »

"In Christ": What does it really mean?

The words “in Christ” and similar, i.e.; “in Jesus Christ”, “in Christ Jesus”, “in him’, are used ad nauseam within the Christian world with hardly anyone ever giving any thought whatsoever as to what the words really mean or entail, thus relegating them to nothing more than Christian “buzz words” that sound good and Christian-like.

So what do these words really mean? What does it mean to be “in Christ” and how does one get “in Christ” or into Christ? Is there a specific way stated in the bible? Are there unique benefits for being “in Christ” once one has achieved that state of being “in him”? Are there benefits available to those not being “in Christ”? Can you receive spiritual blessings without being “in Christ”?

These are logical questions that should be asked or considered when one sees or uses these or similar words inferring the same.

There are 146 references in the New Testament (may not be all inclusive, but close if not) using these exact or similar words as those mentioned above. If mentioned that frequently and to that extent, it must be of great importance, so likewise, all should render like importance to these words when using them, clearly understanding what they truly mean and entail.

Consider the suffix “ian” attached to the word “Christ” to become the word Christian; what does "ian" attached to the end a word mean or indicate? One of its meanings is 'from or belonging to'. As it pertains to Christ, it indicates that a Christian is from or belonging to, or in other words, owned by Christ! It should be noted too that the word “Christian” doesn’t mean a believer in or follower of Christ, but rather really means owned by Christ. So, you could be a believer in and follower of Jesus, practice some form of “Christian” religious worship, be devout, moral, etc. etc, but not be owned by Him, not “in him”.

Note that the bible says the following:

1 Cor 6:20 "For ye are bought with a price:"

Acts 20:28 “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood."

The above clearly states that Christ purchased or bought the church with His own blood, so it's clear that Christians, those owned by Christ, those that are part of his body (the church), have been bought and paid for by his blood which was the price he paid for them who are now “in him”. Therefore, those that are “in” the church are His, and are “in him”.

What are some of the benefits that being owned by or “in Christ” bestowed upon you that are unable to be conferred in any other way according to scripture?

• Be saved, receive redemption, have your sins remitted and added to the Lord’s body which is the church
• Be buried/planted with Him in the likeness of his death thus enabling like resurrection
• Put on Christ and become a Christian and child of God
• Receive the Holy Spirit, spiritual gifts, blessings, have hope, and be made alive in Him

So, how do you become owned by, “in Christ”, and part of the church? The fact of the matter is, there is one specific way mentioned in the bible as to what one must do to be “in Christ” as well as benefits for being “in him” that can only be realized thereby: by baptism.

Rom 6:3 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death”?

Gal 3:26/27 “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ”.

1st Cor 12:13 “For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Rom 6:4 “Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life”.

Col 2:12 “Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead”.

Rom 6:5 “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection”:

Acts 2:38 “Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost”. 41 “Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls”. 47 “Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.”

• Christ’s body is the church of which He is the head (Col 1:18, Eph 5:23);
• You become part of the church by becoming a part of His body. You become part of His body by being baptized into it.
• In it (His body, the church), you obtain spiritual blessings (Eph 1:3).
• Are you really a Christian without being part of His body, the church, which you are added to upon being baptized (Acts 2:41, 47)?
• If you’re not buried with Him through baptism, can you then still be raised with Him?

Tcg
Savant

Post #40

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to DJT_47 in post #39]

The bible is not considered authoritative in this subforum so using it as an authority here is a fail. Beyond that, it doesn't matter what the bible says about being "in Christ." All that matters is what the murderer Darrell Brooks thinks it means and he thinks it means that he is going to heaven.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom