Grace (and/or) Belief/Faith (and/or) Works?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Grace (and/or) Belief/Faith (and/or) Works?

Post #1

Post by POI »

Seems there exists an unresolved topic amongst Christians... Seems as though the way to salvation is not unified among the many in which I engage. I'd wager they all have a case to support their position(s).?.?

For debate: How does one get to Heaven? What is God's criteria for His selection process? Is it by grace alone, belief/faith alone, works alone; or it is a combination of the three? Or is it maybe other? Please, not only present your case, but please also explain why the other asserted methods are incorrect.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Grace (and/or) Belief/Faith (and/or) Works?

Post #241

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:31 am Status update: Apparently, either Christians do not want to give an answer, or give an answer which then presents conflict.

A) unconditional grace --> all are saved
B) conditional grace --> by the topic of (faith/belief)
C) conditional grace --> by the topic of (works)
D) B & C
E) No one receives salvation, because no one is worthy

If you opt for an option F), please clarify? And please make sure it would not actually involve the categories/topics of B) and C).
Post #161. 1213 refuses to give an answer.
It seems to me that you just ignored my answer. Why else would you say I refused to answer, even though my answer is already in this thread. You should rather say that you didn't like my answer. :D

But, again, salvation, forgiveness of sins is offered freely for everyone.

It is not the same as getting eternal life that will be given as gift for righteous people.

When your sins are forgiven, you should reject sin and become righteous. Forgiveness is not useful, if you continue in sin and don't become righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

POI
Prodigy

Post #242

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 am
POI wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:31 am Status update: Apparently, either Christians do not want to give an answer, or give an answer which then presents conflict.

A) unconditional grace --> all are saved
B) conditional grace --> by the topic of (faith/belief)
C) conditional grace --> by the topic of (works)
D) B & C
E) No one receives salvation, because no one is worthy

If you opt for an option F), please clarify? And please make sure it would not actually involve the categories/topics of B) and C).
Post #161. 1213 refuses to give an answer.
It seems to me that you just ignored my answer. Why else would you say I refused to answer, even though my answer is already in this thread. You should rather say that you didn't like my answer. :D

But, again, salvation, forgiveness of sins is offered freely for everyone.

It is not the same as getting eternal life that will be given as gift for righteous people.

When your sins are forgiven, you should reject sin and become righteous. Forgiveness is not useful, if you continue in sin and don't become righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
But you did not answer my question. Is it A) through E), other? You've attempted to tell us what God wants, but this still does not lead to one of the following choices. Are you going with answer D)? If so, you still need to clarify more. Why? Please note what you continue to state in bold. ALL, are "sinners", whether you believe and follow or not.

Of the choices given, the only logical answer, for you, is option E).

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Post #243

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:55 am ...
Of the choices given, the only logical answer, for you, is option E).
I think it is as wrong as all of your options. My option would be:
F) forgiveness of sins is offered freely for everyone. Those who accept it, reject sin and become righteous, can after that have eternal life as a gift.

I don't have any good reason to believe that all are sinners always.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #244

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 am But, again, salvation, forgiveness of sins is offered freely for everyone.
Cool. So now we ain't gotta do us no sin confessing, nor Jesus cracker eating, nor heck, we ain't even gotta avert our lust when the pretty thing's sister comes over.

That God dude's pretty chill.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

POI
Prodigy

Post #245

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:45 am I think it is as wrong as all of your options. My option would be:
F) forgiveness of sins is offered freely for everyone. Those who accept it, reject sin and become righteous, can after that have eternal life as a gift.
Well then, your answer looks to encompass option B) alone. Please recall what I stated prior. "If you opt for an option F), please clarify? And please make sure it would not actually involve the categories/topics of B) and C)."

If you are faithful, and accept Him as your Lord and Savior, then you are deemed 'righteous'. Which-is-to-mean, God has selected you into His Kingdom. But wait, as "Joey" already pointed out, you will still SIN. Meaning, no mater how faithful you are, and how hard you try, you will still continue to commit sin.

1) Are you going to now argue that some of your continued impure thoughts are no longer deemed sin?
2) And/or are you going to now also argue that you no longer need to continue repenting for any of your continued impure actions -- (simply because you believe you are now saved)?
1213 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:45 am I don't have any good reason to believe that all are sinners always.
Your response here continues to be quite vexing. Is an atheist's lust, any different than a Christian's lust? Are you trying to say that the chosen, will no longer commit any "thought crime" at all? Or, are you saying that God will simply look the other way, because He has chosen you? Or, are you suggesting something else?

Savant

Post #246

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:50 am ...
1) Are you going to now argue that some of your continued impure thoughts are no longer deemed sin?
2) And/or are you going to now also argue that you no longer need to continue repenting for any of your continued impure actions -- (simply because you believe you are now saved)?
1213 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:45 am I don't have any good reason to believe that all are sinners always.
Your response here continues to be quite vexing. Is an atheist's lust, any different than a Christian's lust? Are you trying to say that the chosen, will no longer commit any "thought crime" at all? Or, are you saying that God will simply look the other way, because He has chosen you? Or, are you suggesting something else?
I believe what the Bible tells, according to it, eternal life is a gift for righteous. If you say that no one will ever be righteous, why should I believe you?

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Savant

Post #247

Post by 1213 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:33 am
1213 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:14 am But, again, salvation, forgiveness of sins is offered freely for everyone.
Cool. So now we ain't gotta do us no sin confessing, nor Jesus cracker eating, nor heck, we ain't even gotta avert our lust when the pretty thing's sister comes over.
If you don't have sin, then you don't have anything to confess, but why would you then need forgiveness? Forgiveness is for those who have sin. And forgiveness is useful for them, if they also regret the sin and reject it. If they continue in sin, the forgiveness is not useful. I think this is a good example of who is counted righteous:

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18:10-14

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #248

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:20 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:33 am
If you don't have sin, then you don't have anything to confess, but why would you then need forgiveness? Forgiveness is for those who have sin. And forgiveness is useful for them, if they also regret the sin and reject it. If they continue in sin, the forgiveness is not useful. I think this is a good example of who is counted righteous:
If I have to confess my sins, then forgiveness is not freely given.

If I give you something without you doing anything, that's freely given. No theocratic gymnastcs'll get around that.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

POI
Prodigy

Post #249

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:20 am I believe what the Bible tells,
But you are cherry picking. You could have the highest intent, and believe in YHWH. But, you are still going to continue to commit 'sin' against Him, no matter what. So like I asked you before, unanswered.... "Impure thoughts", which you cannot control, are still offenses to YHWH:

1) Unless you wish to now argue that once you believe, and have faith, you will no longer have ANY 'impure thoughts'?
2) Or maybe God looks the other way, now that you are deemed 'righteous' or 'saved'?

Is a 'sex dream' no longer a 'sex dream', if you are deemed "righteous", for example?

Maybe you now wish to select option B)?

Savant

Post #250

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:53 pm
1213 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:20 am I believe what the Bible tells,
But you are cherry picking. ...
Why didn't you answer to my question?