Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #1

Post by John Human »

When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

Question: Do demons exist? What evidence is there, for or against?

--
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

brunumb
Savant

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #631

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:14 pm
OneWay wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:37 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:05 pm Still waiting on our claimant to offer some means to confirm this "spirit realm" exists.

Why is it to hard to get truth out of a theist?

The liar lies and the preacher preaches.
If you are referring to me you will not have to wait long.
I am not going to tell you. I am going to SHOW you.
You will have your confirmation very soon.
You will experience it first hand. What better way
than to see it for your own self in your own life.
Still waiting on this claimant to show they speak truth regarding the existence of a "spirit realm".

Or, we just conclude it's a lie.
Methinks OneWay may have been hitting the 'spirits' a bit too much and too often. I wonder what trolls prefer to imbibe. Great debate by the way. :approve:
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #632

Post by OneWay »

brunumb wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:45 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:14 pm
OneWay wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:37 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:05 pm Still waiting on our claimant to offer some means to confirm this "spirit realm" exists.

Why is it to hard to get truth out of a theist?

The liar lies and the preacher preaches.
If you are referring to me you will not have to wait long.
I am not going to tell you. I am going to SHOW you.
You will have your confirmation very soon.
You will experience it first hand. What better way
than to see it for your own self in your own life.
Still waiting on this claimant to show they speak truth regarding the existence of a "spirit realm".

Or, we just conclude it's a lie.
Methinks OneWay may have been hitting the 'spirits' a bit too much and too often. I wonder what trolls prefer to imbibe. Great debate by the way. :approve:
You are breaking the forum rules again. Stop flaming other posters.
This is a debate forum. Not a place you can come and release all your frustrations in life on
other people.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #633

Post by The Barbarian »

Actually, there was such a case, based on the work of some Native American tribes in the Rocky Mountains area.

You see, demons are evil, and will maliciously interfere in the cooking of food.

And everyone knows that the concentration of demons increases with altitude.

And accordingly, tests showed that food takes longer to cook at high altitudes, verifying the prediction.

Therefore, demons are a demonstrated fact.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #634

Post by Difflugia »

The Barbarian wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:41 amAnd accordingly, tests showed that food takes longer to cook at high altitudes, verifying the prediction.

Therefore, demons are a demonstrated fact.
Demons also sometimes pop potato chip bags in high-altitude convenience stores. It's annoying.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #635

Post by boatsnguitars »

John Human wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

--
I have tried to summon demons in every way I could find. I've prayed to Satan, done rituals (there are many resources on the internet, library, and elsewhere).

But in 25 years, I have not been able to summon one demon. I am beginning to think they don't exist.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #636

Post by The Barbarian »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:58 am Demons also sometimes pop potato chip bags in high-altitude convenience stores. It's annoying.
Then their efforts were not in vain.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #637

Post by JoeyKnothead »

boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:30 am I have tried to summon demons in every way I could find. I've prayed to Satan, done rituals (there are many resources on the internet, library, and elsewhere).

But in 25 years, I have not been able to summon one demon. I am beginning to think they don't exist.
Have you tried getting divorced?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #638

Post by AgnosticBoy »

John Human wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:36 pm On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

--
I can not give a definitive answer. What I do know is that some who believe in demons tend to be ignorant, fearful, and even hateful, at times. That type of mindset would give rise to all types of unreasonable things, such as what we saw during the Salem Witch trials. Do we want to go back to those times? I'd be more concerned by that mindset type than any demon or devil, imho.

In the medieval and early modern eras, many religions, including Christianity, taught that the devil could give people known as witches the power to harm others in return for their loyalty. A “witchcraft craze” rippled through Europe from the 1300s to the end of the 1600s. Tens of thousands of supposed witches—mostly women—were executed. Though the Salem trials took place just as the European craze was winding down, local circumstances explain their onset.
Source: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/ ... 175162489/

So to answer the question, besides needing empirical evidence of demons to be convinced, I'd also want to know about the source of these claims (where or who did they originate from?). If it's from an unreasonable source, then there's some reason to question it.
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #639

Post by boatsnguitars »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:55 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:30 am I have tried to summon demons in every way I could find. I've prayed to Satan, done rituals (there are many resources on the internet, library, and elsewhere).

Have you tried getting divorced?
haha Touche'. I may have to re-think my worldview!
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

William
Savant

Post #640

Post by William »

I think that the underlying reason that this question exists, can be traced back to YHVH and that the real question being asked is "Is YHVH a Demon?"

All demons can be traced back to that source.

Re "Jesus"...there appears to have been active demon-related goings on, in relation to his own - according to the story we have.

The Question re that, is:

How can Jesus be sure that his 'Father" was not a demon who was tricking him?

Following questions/observations re that.

How did Mary know that is was not a Demon who impregnated her, calling itself "GOD"?

Re that, clearly Jesus had a mother who believed that she had been impregnated by GOD, and this is why Jesus became the personality he is presented as being. He - like all boys of that type - was heavily influenced by his mother, Mary.

We know that this influence was publicly challenged on occasion by Jesus, thus it can be said that Jesus busted out from being under his mother's influence eventually.

We know that part of that process involved Jesus having to go off into the desert and confront his particular Demon, Satan.

In this, Jesus made a choice re the nature of his GOD - the one his mother Mary, believed she had been impregnated through...the one which has yet to be shown NOT to being a Demon...

So, as I say....if there are such things as Demons, how are we to know that YHVH is not Satan, pretending to be "GOD", and the whole story is about how Satan sought to find redemption through the personality of Jesus, whom he seeded for that purpose?

The story makes a lot more sense in that light...the ruler of this world trying to find a means to an end...