Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Two hot topics for the price of one

Moderator: Moderators

Daedalus X
Apprentice

Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Post #1

Post by Daedalus X »

For this topic misinformation is any information that promotes needle hesitancy or anti authoritarian approved information.

Here is an example of misinformation that can't be posted to YouTube, twitter, Facebook or any mainline medium. Is this good public policy?

This is a MUST WATCH.

https://www.therealanthonyfaucimovie.com/viewing/
Last edited by Daedalus X on Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ozzy_O
Student

Re: Should misinformation be banned from the major platforms?

Post #111

Post by Ozzy_O »

historia wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:16 pm
Daedalus X wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:33 am
Should the government force private and public companies to store and transmit (at reasonable expense) text, audio, or video (that is consistent with their business model) that would otherwise violate those companies' arbitrary terms of service?
No, because this is an overt violation of the First Amendment.

As I'm sure you know, in the United States, the right to free speech is codified in the First Amendment, which says that the government cannot restrict your free expression. That does not apply to private entities.

(Here, as elsewhere in the thread, by "private" entities I'm referring to individuals or corporations that operate in the private sector, and so are not operated by the government, which constitutes the "public" sector.)

So, for example, if osteng, the owner of this website, decided to delete this post, he would not be violating my right to free speech. This is his website. He owns and operates it at his own expense. He can decide what content remains on this website and what doesn't. I don't have a "right" to have content I've written hosted on someone else's website.

The government forcing him to host my content, on the other hand, is a violation of his free expression.
Delusion is strong with this one.....
Private companies can do what they want, it's their company, with only one condition: they cannot violate someon S constitutional rights. Walmart is a private company; YOU SAY they can do what they want, it's a private company. FALSE!

A company can do whatever they want, within the law
They cannot refuse handicap parking spaces, ramps, bathrooms, etc.
They cannot deny promotions to women
They cannot refuse entrance base on race, gender, or any other protected class.

No, private companies ARE NOT legally permitted to violate ones constitutional rights, and that includes free speech

I don't know if you claim to be a Christian or not, but any opinion you have like the one you take on this one, blows your credibility to Sheol....

Ozzy_O
Student

Re: Should misinformation be baned from the major platforms?

Post #112

Post by Ozzy_O »

Purple Knight wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:49 pm
oldbadger wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:38 am
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:43 pm
oldbadger wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:35 am That wasn't my opinion.
Your feelings about yourself are what caused me to suggest counselling.
If you think I need help, that's your opinion. "You need help" is a much worse insult than "you should kill yourself" but I think you should have the right to say either.
OK. I'm sad if I offended you.
On the side, I'm just interested to ask:-
If your country's government followed your political principles, what would it do about or for mentally, neurologically and IQ challenged folks?
My philosophy is that you don't get punished unless you hurt somebody else or violate a law. I'm not saying I wouldn't have a welfare system, or even provide counseling to people who want it, but the only way you'd have the government telling someone "you need help" and then forcing that on them is if they've hurt someone. I don't believe in mental illness the way it is defined now.

Telling people that the way they think is wrong and "you need help" is what causes mental illness.
Sticks and stones may break my nose, but words will never hurt me......

It's not the government or private companies responsibility to stop my feeling from being hurt....I'm a grown up and know that mean words are just words

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #113

Post by Ozzy_O »

historia wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:39 pm
Daedalus X wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:53 pm
In 1978, the ACLU took a controversial stand for free speech by defending a neo-Nazi group that wanted to march through the Chicago suburb of Skokie. They felt that we do not need to defend the speech that we all like, we need to defend the speech that nobody likes, or else we don't have free speech, we would only be free to speak things that we all like. Why even call that free speech?
Indeed, neo-Nazis have a right to use public (i.e., government-owned) land to hold a rally. They don't have the right, however, to take over a private business against the owner's wishes in order to hold their rally.

Twitter is not a government-owned entity, it is a private business. Neo-Nazis have no First Amendment "right" to have their content hosted on the Twitter website.

So, think about this for a minute: If the government forces Elon Musk to host neo-Nazi content on Twitter (because "free speech") and his advertisers don't want their ads running next to that content, then the advertisers will pull out, and Twitter will go out of business. Should the government then force businesses to advertise on Twitter?
Yet somehow you believe the trannies and gays can force Christians to bake a degenerate queer cake......

You are wrong. Private business can't violate the constitution. And the government can force a private company to violate their constitutional rights to make a queer tranny cake.....

Do you think twitter should be able to block blacks because it's a private business? Constitutional rulles apply to ALL companies, even liberal, commie leftists like twitter

You can't yell fire in a crowded theater
You can post "kill all _______'s"

But NEO- NAZI opinions like COVID vaccines aren't safe, the election was stolen, or illegal immigration is bad? Those are illegal for a company to outlaw

historia
Prodigy

Post #114

Post by historia »

Ozzy_O wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:30 am
Walmart is a private company; YOU SAY they can do what they want, it's a private company.
I didn't say private companies can do whatever they want. That is a straw man argument you constructed.
Ozzy_O wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:30 am
No, private companies ARE NOT legally permitted to violate ones constitutional rights, and that includes free speech
But if osteng kicked you off this website, that action simply doesn't violate your right to free speech. You can still go outside and conduct as much speech as you like.
Ozzy_O wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:50 am
Yet somehow you believe the trannies and gays can force Christians to bake a degenerate queer cake......
More straw man arguments. You're embarrassing yourself.
Ozzy_O wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:50 am
But NEO- NAZI opinions like COVID vaccines aren't safe, the election was stolen, or illegal immigration is bad? Those are illegal for a company to outlaw
Private companies like Twitter don't creates laws, so cannot "outlaw" anything.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #115

Post by oldbadger »

Ozzy_O wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:36 am Sticks and stones may break my nose, but words will never hurt me......
Oh yes they can!
If somebody spread lies about you which caused others to doubt you, or despise you..... it would hurt.
etc etc........
It's not the government or private companies responsibility to stop my feeling from being hurt....I'm a grown up and know that mean words are just words
But grown ups are no stronger in mind than children, Ozzy. I once heard a clever man explain that there are only two real age groups within humanity, the five year olds and the eight year olds. Actually the eight year olds are only five years old as well, they just think they're smarter and more grown up.

Sickness of mind and heart is just as tragic as sickness in body, I think, and our governments should definitely care about both.

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #116

Post by Ozzy_O »

oldbadger wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:42 am
Ozzy_O wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:36 am Sticks and stones may break my nose, but words will never hurt me......
Oh yes they can!
If somebody spread lies about you which caused others to doubt you, or despise you..... it would hurt.
etc etc........
But grown ups are no stronger in mind than children, Ozzy. I once heard a clever man explain that there are only two real age groups within humanity, the five year olds and the eight year olds. Actually the eight year olds are only five years old as well, they just think they're smarter and more grown up.

Sickness of mind and heart is just as tragic as sickness in body, I think, and our governments should definitely care about both.
There are las in place for libel and slander as a legal remedy to "words"

Banning them from being spoken, that's not the governments job

Are you familiar with the founding of our nation, and the purposes of the constitution and Declaration of Independence even says or means?

We were founded on less government regulations and control, not more

oldbadger
Guru

Post #117

Post by oldbadger »

Ozzy_O wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:05 am It's not the government or private companies responsibility to stop my feeling from being hurt....I'm a grown up and know that mean words are just words
Your reputation, position, even your safety can be put in danger by slanders and defamations.
Of course you need laws to reduce, control and punish those.

[
You see? Laws!
But poorer people can't afford to bring lawsuits, and once the damage is done it's very hard to come back from lies.
Of course it is. Harrassment, provocating others to victimise a person or group, incitement to commit crimes and more....all need controls.
Are you familiar with the founding of our nation, and the purposes of the constitution and Declaration of Independence even says or means?
Your Constitution. It seeks to let everybody live in peace, which includes protection from nutters spreading disinformation and lies on the media or in forums. Owners of websites should have the freedom to moderate and control speech.
Best thing that you could do is to found your own website, and discover just how quickly you'd be wanting to 'lay down the law' about your place. ;)
But you've got a HUGE government and control! Look at your enormous Army, Navy and Armies, you're proud of all those, aren't you? Lots and lots of controls.

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #118

Post by Ozzy_O »

oldbadger wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:47 am
Ozzy_O wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:05 am It's not the government or private companies responsibility to stop my feeling from being hurt....I'm a grown up and know that mean words are just words
Your reputation, position, even your safety can be put in danger by slanders and defamations.
Of course you need laws to reduce, control and punish those.

[
You see? Laws!
But poorer people can't afford to bring lawsuits, and once the damage is done it's very hard to come back from lies.
Of course it is. Harrassment, provocating others to victimise a person or group, incitement to commit crimes and more....all need controls.
Your Constitution. It seeks to let everybody live in peace, which includes protection from nutters spreading disinformation and lies on the media or in forums. Owners of websites should have the freedom to moderate and control speech.
Best thing that you could do is to found your own website, and discover just how quickly you'd be wanting to 'lay down the law' about your place. ;)
But you've got a HUGE government and control! Look at your enormous Army, Navy and Armies, you're proud of all those, aren't you? Lots and lots of controls.
"which includes protection from nutters spreading disinformation and lies on the media or in forums. Owners of websites should have the freedom to moderate and control speech"

I didn't think you understood our founding documents....

I'll help you

First Amendment Explained
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #119

Post by oldbadger »

Ozzy_O wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:31 am
I didn't think you understood our founding documents....

I'll help you

First Amendment Explained
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
.All good, ....but which you seem to have turned in to: 'can print any lies and harrassing stuff they like.'

.....and it seems that your leaders have long decided to control such productions. Open your own website and see how long it will be before you set controls.

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #120

Post by Ozzy_O »

So here’s the law
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc are not considered publishers

The public posts whatever they want and these sites are simply forums for free speech

When Twitter decides to moderate content, restrict some voices and promote others, they then become a publisher and become liable for content and restriction of speech

They can’t just say they are a public business and deny a constitutional right anymore that Walmart could refuse handicap spaces and ramps cause they are a private business

That’s America