Post #1

Post by OneWay »

COME DEBATE ME.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: NOT EVERYTHING IN THE BIBLE IS THE TRUTH

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

OneWay wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:34 pm COME DEBATE ME.
:D I can already see how that will go 'I deny everything! I win!!" And you aren't the only one, chum.With Theist and Bible apologetics,claims are True unless 100% disproven, and even if that is done, Faithbased denial will refuse to accept it.

But let's do one from each Testament.

Genesis is wrong because the Sun was made before the earth, not after the earth let alone all the vegetables.

The nativity - stories are not the truth. If they were true, if Jesus had really been born in Bethlehem of Judea (never mind the apologetic that there were supposedly Bethlehems in Galilee) John would have mentioned it and so would Mark. That's just the start.

As a debate case, what arguments doyou have that the nativity - stories are true?

cue: "They are true until you prove to me 100% that they are false and get me to admit it, which i will never do, no matter what evidence you present ".

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by OneWay »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:33 pm
Genesis is wrong because the Sun was made before the earth, not after the earth let alone all the vegetables.
I was not there so I do not know.

brunumb
Savant

Post #4

Post by brunumb »

OneWay wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:50 pm
That pretty much applies to the entire Bible. What a freakin' waste of time this will be.

George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #5

Post by AquinasForGod »

This cannot be the case, can it?

1. We can say for example it is a true proposition that the serpent said to the woman, such and such, but is what the serpent himself said a true proposition that you will not surely die for God knows the day you eat yours eyes will be opened.

Or when they told Jesus that he cast out demons by the power of demons, was what they said true? It is true that said those words, but is what they said true?

So I imagine when you say everything in the bible is true, you don't mean that everything said in it is true, for many people in the bible speak lies.

2. But there is another way in which the bible seems to be not the truth. Paul says, we see now through a glass darkly, so anything we see or understand is not perfectly understood. The truth is perfect, but the representation of the truth as given by the words of men cannot be perfect thus it must not be perfectly true.

In this sense, even those truths in the bible are men seeing through a glass darkly, doing their best to describe the truth as they understand it.

3. There is another sense in which the bible is not all true. There are stories in the bible that are not in themselves true but teach a moral lesson, such as parables. The whole book of Job might be such a parable.

4. There are facts in the bible that cannot be true because they conflict with clear-cut science or they contradict themselves such as was David the 7th youngest son or the 8th youngest son? He cannot be both.

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by OneWay »

brunumb wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:04 am
OneWay wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:50 pm
That pretty much applies to the entire Bible. What a freakin' waste of time this will be.

This is incorrect.
I can speak from first hand experience. I don't
believe you will comprehend what I just stated to you.
I might have to try to figure out how
to make is so you can comprehend it.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

Please tell one example of what is not true in the Bible and why?

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #8

Post by Ozzy_O »

:D I can already see how that will go 'I deny everything! I win!!" And you aren't the only one, chum.With Theist and Bible apologetics,claims are True unless 100% disproven, and even if that is done, Faithbased denial will refuse to accept it.

But let's do one from each Testament.

The nativity - stories are not the truth. If they were true, if Jesus had really been born in Bethlehem of Judea (never mind the apologetic that there were supposedly Bethlehems in Galilee) John would have mentioned it and so would Mark. That's just the start.

As a debate case, what arguments doyou have that the nativity - stories are true?

cue: "They are true until you prove to me 100% that they are false and get me to admit it, which i will never do, no matter what evidence you present ".
Some Christians agree with you.....

Is the earth a flat round disc covered by a dome of water?
Does the sun orbit around the earth?

Science links proving these two would be a good start

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #9

Post by Ozzy_O »

AquinasForGod wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:05 am This cannot be the case, can it?

1. We can say for example it is a true proposition that the serpent said to the woman, such and such, but is what the serpent himself said a true proposition that you will not surely die for God knows the day you eat yours eyes will be opened.

Or when they told Jesus that he cast out demons by the power of demons, was what they said true? It is true that said those words, but is what they said true?

So I imagine when you say everything in the bible is true, you don't mean that everything said in it is true, for many people in the bible speak lies.

2. But there is another way in which the bible seems to be not the truth. Paul says, we see now through a glass darkly, so anything we see or understand is not perfectly understood. The truth is perfect, but the representation of the truth as given by the words of men cannot be perfect thus it must not be perfectly true.

In this sense, even those truths in the bible are men seeing through a glass darkly, doing their best to describe the truth as they understand it.

3. There is another sense in which the bible is not all true. There are stories in the bible that are not in themselves true but teach a moral lesson, such as parables. The whole book of Job might be such a parable.

4. There are facts in the bible that cannot be true because they conflict with clear-cut science or they contradict themselves such as was David the 7th youngest son or the 8th youngest son? He cannot be both.

Who made David take a census of the fighting men of Israel? Was it God or Satan, the Bible says God in on place and Satan in the other......

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by OneWay »

1213 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:16 am
Please tell one example of what is not true in the Bible and why?
The two different contradicting accounts of the thief on the cross
in the new testament. There are many others but this is one.
But I must say, there are many things in the bible that are true.