Where were we?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Where were we?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

If we are, in essence, spiritual eternal beings, then where were we before our conception on earth?

This is a question for which I have not seen an answer in the Bible yet.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Where were we?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:50 am If we are, in essence, spiritual eternal beings, then where were we before our conception on earth?
There is no reason to conclude that we are "spiritual eternal beings" or that we existed before our conception.

This is a question for which I have not seen an answer in the Bible yet.
Are you expecting the Bible to change at some point and address it?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]

I believe the answer is in the Bible, which addresses everything that is important. If only I could understand it. I am hoping more knowledgeable Christians than i on here will clarify the question or at least turn me to the path of understanding.

One thing is certain, the soul is eternal.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:35 am [Replying to Tcg in post #2]

I believe the answer is in the Bible, which addresses everything that is important.
Ah, the first misstep into the perils of confirmation bias, the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

Be careful.

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #5

Post by Ozzy_O »

[Replying to Miles in post #4]

Jeremiah 1:4-5 ESV
Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Scripture would appear to give your answer, probably in one of the heavenly realms

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Ozzy_O wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:50 am [Replying to Miles in post #4]

Now the word of the Lord came to me, saying, “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”

Scripture would appear to give your answer, probably in one of the heavenly realms
Hmm. Doesn't say a thing about forming anyone else other than Jeremiah.

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #7

Post by Ozzy_O »

Miles wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:26 pm

Come on, you can do this...
If an omnipotent God knew Jeremiah before he materialized in the womb, this same God knows everyone else

You can admit it, that's ok

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Ozzy_O wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:07 am

If an omnipotent God knew Jeremiah before he materialized in the womb, this same God knows everyone else

Point isn't what god knew, but the fact that there's no indication that god formed anyone else in the womb other than Jeremiah. Now you may believe god did, but as far as I could find there's no Biblical evidence that He actually did so.

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #9

Post by Ozzy_O »

Miles wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:19 pm

Point isn't what god knew, but the fact that there's no indication that god formed anyone else in the womb other than Jeremiah. Now you may believe god did, but as far as I could find there's no Biblical evidence that He actually did so.

Checked last night, there is no biblical evidence for evidence of the Big Bang or evolution

Can we agree those didn't happen also?

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

Ozzy_O wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:27 am
Miles wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:19 pm

Checked last night, there is no biblical evidence for evidence of the Big Bang or evolution

Can we agree those didn't happen also?
Although the Big Bang may be somewhat questionable it's still the best explanation we have for the origin of the universe. As for evolution, there is absolutely no doubt that it's responsible for the diversity of life on earth. However, if you're trying to imply that because the Bible doesn't mention god forming all others that we shouldn't write off such events as false simply because there's no biblical evidence for the Big Bang or evolution, which we do accept, would be asinine. Bible stuff is Bible stuff and science stuff is science stuff. :mrgreen: