Is the holy spirit a living being?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

kjw47
Under Probation

Is the holy spirit a living being?

Post #1

Post by kjw47 »

Is the holy spirit a living being with equality to the Father and son? Lets look at bible facts.

1) The Father has a name-YHWH(Jehovah) the son has a name Jesus-Holy spirit-0
2) The Father seen on a throne, the son seen on a throne-Holy spirit-0
3)The Father shares certain things with the son-Holy spirit-0
4)Many very important passages in NT where only the Father and son are spoken of-holy spirit-2
The most important one being John 17:3--This means eternal life, their knowing you( Father) THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one whom you sent forth Christ Jesus. Holy spirit-0

No is the answer i see. How about you?

The new Catholic encyclopedia 1967 Vol XIII Page 575-- The majority of NT texts reveal Gods spirit as something not someone.

Savant

Re: Is the holy spirit a living being?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

kjw47 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:13 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:47 am
kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:21 pm Is the holy spirit a living being with equality to the Father and son? Lets look at bible facts.

4)Many very important passages in NT where only the Father and son are spoken of-holy spirit-2
The most important one being John 17:3--This means eternal life, their knowing you( Father) THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one whom you sent forth Christ Jesus. Holy spirit-0

By that standard I am not a living being?

I believe what the Bible tells, Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth, that guides person to truth.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13
A few things are spoken of a being a living being in the bible but arent. Every living being has a personal name.
I think Spirit of Truth is a good name for Holy Spirit.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #12

Post by Overcomer »

The Holy Spirit is the third person of the Trinity. He isn't just some spiritual force or energy. He thinks, speaks, teaches, etc. according to Scripture. These are things that only a person can do. Here are some specific examples:

In Acts 5, Ananias lies to the Holy Spirit. You can't lie to some thing, only to some person.

In Acts 8:29, we read that "the Holy Spirit said to Philip . . . ." The Holy Spirit is obviously showing the human characteristic of speech. He can't just be some spiritual energy.

In Rom. 8:25, 27, the Holy Spirit prays for us -- only a being with a thinking mind could do that.

The Holy Spirit gives and receives love (Rom. 15:30), something only a thinking and feeling being could do.

There are dozens of Scripture verses that speak to the personhood of the Holy Spirit.

Here are three good articles on the topic:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/Comm/st ... person.cfm

https://www.gotquestions.org/Holy-Spirit-person.html

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blog ... -a-person/

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by kjw47 »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:11 am
kjw47 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:13 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:47 am
kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:21 pm Is the holy spirit a living being with equality to the Father and son? Lets look at bible facts.

By that standard I am not a living being?

I believe what the Bible tells, Holy Spirit is the spirit of truth, that guides person to truth.

However when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13
A few things are spoken of a being a living being in the bible but arent. Every living being has a personal name.
I think Spirit of Truth is a good name for Holy Spirit.

That is a title not a personal name.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #14

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to kjw47 in post #13]

To answer your OP question, YES, The Holy Spirit of YHWH is a living being. He is YHWH’s Spirit!

Do you have a spirit kjw47? Is it living?

I do! My spirit is alive. My spirit is a part of me just as my soul is. I am body, soul and spirit.

Does my spirit have a name? No, but my spirit is the part of my being that corresponds to YHWH and has the ability to contact, fellowship with, and worship Him.

YHWH’s Spirit is a part of Him. He communicates His thoughts to us in His inspired writings and dells within His true followers.

YHWH’s Spirt is Holy, therefore He refers to Himself as the Holy Spirit in Hs inspired writings. The Spirit of YHWH is not an it. He never refers to Himself as such. He refers to Himself as a HE. The Spirit of God, though powerful and active in our world never refers to Himself as “an active force.”

Who are you and your Watchtower teachers to call the Spirit of YHWH “an active force?” Shame on all of you!!!
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #15

Post by kjw47 »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:00 am [Replying to kjw47 in post #13]

To answer your OP question, YES, The Holy Spirit of YHWH is a living being. He is YHWH’s Spirit!

Do you have a spirit kjw47? Is it living?

I do! My spirit is alive. My spirit is a part of me just as my soul is. I am body, soul and spirit.

Does my spirit have a name? No, but my spirit is the part of my being that corresponds to YHWH and has the ability to contact, fellowship with, and worship Him.

YHWH’s Spirit is a part of Him. He communicates His thoughts to us in His inspired writings and dells within His true followers.

YHWH’s Spirt is Holy, therefore He refers to Himself as the Holy Spirit in Hs inspired writings. The Spirit of YHWH is not an it. He never refers to Himself as such. He refers to Himself as a HE. The Spirit of God, though powerful and active in our world never refers to Himself as “an active force.”

Who are you and your Watchtower teachers to call the Spirit of YHWH “an active force?” Shame on all of you!!!
No one has a spirit being living within them.
Facts show the HS is not a living being.
The Hebrew word for soul=breath. breath of life. Its what makes a mortal alive, not a spirit being within.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #16

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to kjw47 in post #15

Do you have a spirit? Yes or no?

Does YHWH have a Spirit? Yes or no?

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by kjw47 »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:36 pm [Replying to kjw47 in post #15

YHWH is a spirit--I have no literal spirit being within. No mortal does. The breath of life makes one alive.

tam
Savant

Post #18

Post by tam »

Peace to you all,

Holy spirit and the (holy) Spirit are both spoken of in what is written. Man's misunderstanding has (as usual) caused for more confusion and misunderstanding.

The Spirit who is an actual person is Christ. He is the Spirit.

For example:

And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. 2 Corinth 3:18

Into whose image are we being transformed?

For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. Romans 8:29 See also 2 Corinth 15:49

So the Lord being spoken of here at 2Corinth, who is the Spirit, is Christ Himself.

Christ is also the Holy One of God, and therefore He is both the Holy One and the Spirit.

But then there is also holy spirit that is not referring to Christ (or to a person at all), and this is what most people believe to be a third being in a trinity. This holy spirit is not a person, but is instead the breath/blood/seed of JAH. This is the same holy spirit that Christ breathed upon the apostles (He did not breathe a person upon them, that makes no sense; He breathed upon them the breath/blood/seed of JAH, anointing them and also making them sons); and that was again poured out at Pentecost, and again upon Cornelius and his household. It is with this holy spirit that Christ baptizes and anoints any He chooses (so that it is also referred to as the water of life).

It is this anointing that John speaks of here:

As for you, the anointing you received from Him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as His anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him. 1John 2:24

This holy spirit is not dead but alive of course - for God is a living God, there is nothing dead in Him; His blood/breath are alive. But that does not mean that it is an individual being. Yes, it can "speak" (cry out within us 'yes' when we hear something true - bearing witness with our spirit; it can also protest if we hear or speak something false)... but so can the blood of mankind speak. See Genesis 4:10; the blood of Abel cried out to God from the ground. His blood cried out, God heard it.

The scribes personified holy spirit as a person (using 'he' and 'him') in each occurrence in the bible because of their belief in the trinity, and that makes it confusing to read. Sometimes it should be read as 'it' and not as 'him'.

There are not three persons.

There is God - the Father - whose name is JAH.
There is Christ - the Son - whose name is Jah'ehsua (Jah saves)

There is holy spirit - the breath/blood/seed of JAH - that Christ pours out upon whomever He chooses; that has been given to Him without end by His Father. So that holy spirit does come from the Father THROUGH the Son. So also, if and when we are adopted as sons, it is more than an announcement or a legal paper... we receive the very breath/blood/seed (holy spirit) of our Father in heaven.

Peace again to you all,
your servant and slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

MissKate13
Sage

Post #19

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to kjw47 in post #15]

You wrote, “ No one has a spirit being living within them.
Facts show the HS is not a living being.
The Hebrew word for soul=breath. breath of life. Its what makes a mortal alive, not a spirit being within.”

My response: Your own NWT contradicts you. True followers of Christ are a temple for a LIVING God. The bodies of true followers of Christ are temples of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is God. He is alive and dwells in the hearts of the true followers of Christ.

2 Corinthians 6:16
“And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols?For we are a temple of a living God; just as God said: “I will reside among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.”

1 Corinthians 6:19. “Do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God?”
Last edited by MissKate13 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #20

Post by 2timothy316 »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:36 pm [Replying to kjw47 in post #15

"And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." - Gen 2:7 (ASV)
No mention of man being made from a spirit. So, no I do not have a spirit.
"God is a spirit." - John 4:24
No. God doesn't have a spirit, He IS a spirit.