Prodigy

Fate. Destiny. Real or not?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Do you believe in fate* or destiny*?
Why or why not?
Are they even possible?
Why or why not?

*FATE defined here as: you do as 'something' more powerful than you has outlined for your life at every minute; DESTINY defined here: as you eventually end up at specific increments where 'something' more powerful than you designed for you to be.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Re: Fate. Destiny. Real or not?

Post #21

Post by William »

Nobspeople: Q: Do you believe in fate* or destiny*?
Why or why not?
Are they even possible?
Why or why not?

*FATE defined here as: you do as 'something' more powerful than you has outlined for your life at every minute; DESTINY defined here: as you eventually end up at specific increments where 'something' more powerful than you designed for you to be.

William: A: It is possible, but from my perspective, I cannot know the future and can only accept whatever happens re my subjective experience within an objective reality being experienced.

Even if an entity knows me and the path is mapped out for me, from my perspective it can only be experienced in 'real time', my inability in knowing how the path will unfold for me is subject to that condition.
However, I can appreciate the idea that my path has been pre-determined and I am participating in the experience of that, and such appreciation for the idea, can be helpful in my relaxing and getting on with being excited with life here on earth, while I am living it.

Is 'something' more powerful than me which designed for me to be, a necessary belief?

I do not think so, but it sure makes life just that tad more interesting to think it possible, and to even live life with that premise in mind...

Open AI: As a language model, I do not have personal beliefs or experiences. However, the concept of fate or destiny is a subject that has been debated throughout history, and there are many different perspectives on it. Some people believe in fate or destiny as a pre-determined path that they must follow, while others believe that they have the ability to shape their own fate through their actions and decisions. There are also those who do not believe in fate or destiny at all, and see the future as being shaped by a combination of chance and individual agency. Ultimately, whether or not fate or destiny is possible is a matter of personal belief and perspective.

William: A: It is not the case that one must follow a predetermined path, but that if ones path is predetermined, one must trust that whatever the outcome, it must ultimately be okay...otherwise however one thinks about their path of life's experience - predetermine or not - to not think it must ultimately be okay, would seem a case of being opportunity lost...

Open AI: That is one perspective on the concept of fate or destiny. Believing that one's path is predetermined and that whatever happens is ultimately okay can help some people to find peace and acceptance in their lives. It can also provide a sense of purpose or direction, and help to alleviate feelings of anxiety or uncertainty about the future.

On the other hand, some people may find that belief limiting to their own aspirations and goals. Some may argue that one's path is not predetermined, but it is created by the person's own choices and actions. They may argue that this empowers the person to take control of their own life, and to shape their own destiny.

Ultimately, whether one believes in a predetermined path or not, it's important to have a positive outlook in life, find meaning and purpose in every action, and to maintain a sense of trust and belief that things will ultimately be okay.

William: A: Agreed. Even if one prefers to take credit for their own choices and actions, one can do so and still think that one's life is predestined...one does not cancel out the other...

Open AI: Yes, that is correct. It is possible to believe that one's choices and actions shape their own destiny while also believing that there is a larger, predestined plan at work. This perspective can be seen as reconciling the ideas of free will and predestination.

From this perspective, one's choices and actions may be seen as the means by which they fulfill their predetermined destiny. It is important to note that having belief in predestination does not mean that one should give up their own agency and stop making choices, rather it means to trust the outcome, the bigger picture whatever it is and continue to do their best in shaping the future.

It's a complex topic, and different people may have different beliefs about the relationship between free will and predestination. Ultimately, what's most important is that one's beliefs and perspective on the matter bring them a sense of peace and understanding in their life.

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by 2ndRateMind »

William wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:45 am Nobspeople: Q: Do you believe in fate* or destiny*?
Why or why not?
Are they even possible?
Why or why not?

William: A: It is possible, but from my perspective, I cannot know the future and can only accept whatever happens re my subjective experience within an objective reality being experienced.
It's a complex topic, and different people may have different beliefs about the relationship between free will and predestination. Ultimately, what's most important is that one's beliefs and perspective on the matter bring them a sense of peace and understanding in their life.
Funny. But I thought the important thing about a theory, such as that our lives are or are not determind by fate, is whether or not that is true, not whether believing or disbelieving it makes you feel better.

Best wishes, 2RM.
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

William
Savant

Post #23

Post by William »

[Replying to 2ndRateMind in post #22]

SRM: Funny. But I thought the important thing about a theory, such as that our lives are or are not determind by fate, is whether or not that is true, not whether believing or disbelieving it makes you feel better.

William: Determining whether or not we exist within a created thing, as being true or false, is a complex undertaking and debate and discussion on the subject is ongoing.

The idea that we do exist within a creation which has the effect of making one feel better as a growing personality, is a known phenomena which may or may not have any bearing on the overall evidence so far collected.

Open AI: The important thing about a theory, such as whether our lives are determined by fate, is its truth value. Determining the truth of the theory is a complex undertaking, and the debate on the subject is ongoing. However, it's also important to consider how the theory affects individuals and their sense of well-being. The idea that we exist within a creation and that it has a positive impact on one's sense of self is a known phenomenon, but it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on the evidence collected so far.

William:If the individual examining the evidence collected so far, feels good about the idea of existing within a creation re that evidence, then - for said individual - that will suffice...in the mean time

2ndRateMind
Site Supporter

Post #24

Post by 2ndRateMind »

William wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:22 pm [Replying to 2ndRateMind in post #22]

SRM: Funny. But I thought the important thing about a theory, such as that our lives are or are not determind by fate, is whether or not that is true, not whether believing or disbelieving it makes you feel better.

William: Determining whether or not we exist within a created thing, as being true or false, is a complex undertaking and debate and discussion on the subject is ongoing.

The idea that we do exist within a creation which has the effect of making one feel better as a growing personality, is a known phenomena which may or may not have any bearing on the overall evidence so far collected.
I never said that deciding whether or not fate is a real phenomena would be easy, or even that we know how to approach the problem. I was just saying our feelings on the topic are quite irrelevant to the objective fact of the matter, which is the important issue.

Best wishes, 2RM
Non omnes qui errant pereunt
Not all who wander are lost

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

2ndRateMind wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:31 pm
William wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:22 pm [Replying to 2ndRateMind in post #22]

I never said that deciding whether or not fate is a real phenomena would be easy, or even that we know how to approach the problem. I was just saying our feelings on the topic are quite irrelevant to the objective fact of the matter, which is the important issue.

Best wishes, 2RM
You have my attention. Please proceed.