Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Stealing a faith

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

https://www.theatlantic.com/internation ... sm/543864/

If this happens to your religion, can you afford to ignore it?

Miles
Savant

Re: Stealing a faith

Post #21

Post by Miles »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:31 am [Replying to Miles in post #18

hate is not against the law
Inciting violence is against the law, and so is defamation.
As well as speeding, discharging firearms in the city, prostitution, and reckless endangerment. So what?

In the USA at least, it's one of those freedoms we've come to enjoy and cherish.
Freedom isn't cherished unless we cherish the same freedoms for others which we cherish for ourselves,
Actually, I cherish my freedoms whether or not I cherish the same freedoms for others. I may simply grant them to others. ;)

My "silly hyperbole" isn't anywhere near as silly as your wardrobe analogy.
But my wardrobe analogy can beat your silly hyperbole any day of the week, and with both of its halter straps tied behind its back. :joy:

Freedoms always come with responsibilities,
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. O:)

and those responsibilities impose limits on those freedoms.
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. :D

We never have a right to make others suffer the consequences of our "freedom".
Ever hear of war? Right now I'm hoping Putin is suffering his defeats in the Ukraine from the Ukrainian attacks to preserve their freedom. Don't you? . . . . . . Perhaps not.

Miles
Savant

Post #22

Post by Miles »

PolytheistWitch wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:23 am [Replying to Miles in post #18]
Reading a bit about Asatru, I see it, itself, appropriated the beliefs, practices, and symbology of the vikings, and was only re-recognized as a religion by the "state" in 1973

Religion and religious practices wiped out by the Catholic Church doesn't mean when someone starts to do them their appropriation.
[?]
Care to rephrase that?

It's called recreation. Unfortunately anybody can do that
Please clarify what "that" refers to.

Thank you.

PolytheistWitch
Student

Post #23

Post by PolytheistWitch »

[Replying to Miles in post #22]

Just because the vikings religious practices may have not been continuous until the 1970s does not mean starting a religious practice based on the religion of the vikings is appropriation. That would be recreation I'm not sure what you don't understand about that. The that I'm referring to is the recreation of religious practices. It's not like I'm talking about more than one thing in the post.
Last edited by PolytheistWitch on Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Miles in post #21
As well as speeding, discharging firearms in the city, prostitution, and reckless endangerment. So what?
So......you're not supposed to do them.
Actually, I cherish my freedoms whether or not I cherish the same freedoms for others. I may simply grant them to others.;)
.........as if you had any right to deny them to others......
But my wardrobe analogy can beat your silly hyperbole any day of the week, and with both of its halter straps tied behind its back. :joy:
Substituting rebuttal with cheap humor is lame.
Ever hear of war? Right now I'm hoping Putin is suffering his defeats in the Ukraine from the Ukrainian attacks to preserve their freedom. Don't you? . . . . . . Perhaps not.

The Ukrainians are defending their freedom against Putin's attack. Your failure to understand the difference indicates that you have no grasp of my point.

Miles
Savant

Post #25

Post by Miles »

PolytheistWitch wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:14 pm [Replying to Miles in post #22]

Just because the vikings religious practices may have not been continuous until the 1970s does not mean starting a religious practice based on the religion of the vikings is appropriation. That would be recreation I'm not sure what you don't understand about that. The that I'm referring to is the recreation of religious practices. It's not like I'm talking about more than one thing in the post.
As I indicated in my post, where you said: "Religion and religious practices wiped out by the Catholic Church doesn't mean when someone starts to do them their appropriation." I have no idea what you're saying. Your sentence doesn't make any sense. So I don't know what you're talking about with your use of "that."

Can you explain what you're saying? If so, I await.

Miles
Savant

Post #26

Post by Miles »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:24 pm [Replying to Miles in post #21
Actually, I cherish my freedoms whether or not I cherish the same freedoms for others. I may simply grant them to others.;)
Not the "consequences of our "freedom," but the consequences of attaining one's freedom.

The Ukrainians are defending their freedom against Putin's attack. Your failure to understand the difference indicates that you have no grasp of my point.
I don't, but perhaps if your English was more intelligible, unlike your, "Religion and religious practices wiped out by the Catholic Church doesn't mean when someone starts to do them their appopriation." I'd have a chance.

PolytheistWitch
Student

Post #27

Post by PolytheistWitch »

[Replying to Miles in post #26]

Not sure why you think you are talking to only one person or why you can under a sentence. I don't know if that's just how you are or if you really don't get it or if it's just your tactic.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Athetotheist »

Miles wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:21 pm
Not the "consequences of our "freedom," but the consequences of attaining one's freedom.

I don't, but perhaps if your English was more intelligible, unlike your, "Religion and religious practices wiped out by the Catholic Church doesn't mean when someone starts to do them their appopriation." I'd have a chance.

You're so bungled up, you can't even aim your spiteful barbs in the right direction.

Miles
Savant

Post #29

Post by Miles »

Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 pm

You're so bungled up, you can't even aim your spiteful barbs in the right direction.
Okay, if "Religion and religious practices wiped out by the Catholic Church doesn't mean when someone starts to do them their appopriation." is intelligible tell me what is says/means. In fact, just explain "doesn't mean when someone starts to do them their appopriation."

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #30

Post by Athetotheist »

Miles wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:49 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 pm

Okay, if "Religion and religious practices wiped out by the Catholic Church doesn't mean when someone starts to do them their appopriation." is intelligible tell me what is says/means. In fact, just explain "doesn't mean when someone starts to do them their appopriation."

Why are you asking me when I didn't write it?