Christianity's Biggest Problem Yet?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Christianity's Biggest Problem Yet?

Post #1

Post by POI »

Below is a 20 minute video. For the ones who opt not to watch, I'll start with the following question? (Which may then lead to many others, as this is a fairly new concept of thought for me)....

Why does YHWH allow for so much animal suffering? Before you Christians answer, I trust you are already aware of this guy's counter points?

In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

otseng
Savant

Re: Christianity's Biggest Problem Yet?

Post #511

Post by otseng »

kjw47 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:21 pm Its even worse--The athiests live in darkness and will lose out on Eternal life.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Please do not preach or make comments about other posters.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

brunumb
Savant

Post #512

Post by brunumb »

kjw47 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:21 pm Its even worse--The athiests live in darkness and will lose out on Eternal life.
Even worse, theists live in false hope and will not get eternal life either.

Preaching is so easy. You can say anything you like and not have to demonstrate the truth of any of it. Some will buy it, some will not. By the way, I pay my electricity bills regularly and never have to live in darkness, unless I choose to. :P

[Oops. Sorry otseng. I will refrain in future]
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #513

Post by TRANSPONDER »

brunumb wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:56 am
Even worse, theists live in false hope and will not get eternal life either.

Preaching is so easy. You can say anything you like and not have to demonstrate the truth of any of it. Some will buy it, some will not. By the way, I pay my electricity bills regularly and never have to live in darkness, unless I choose to. :P

[Oops. Sorry otseng. I will refrain in future]
Quite so that threats of hellfire or whatever are without force, but Believers can never be sure which religion is the correct one and thus just which wrong believers are going to burn, if any.

Oh - the admonishment wasn't to you, though in fact i didn't see kjw's remark as Personal, rather more reiterating mainstream Christian dogma about divine punishment for uunbelievers - we have got used to being threatened with hellfire.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #514

Post by Diogenes »

Videos of men and women saving animals that are in dangerous situations are among the most popular on the internet. I just watched one of Russian fishermen rescuing two bear cubs from freezing water after their mother gave up.https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -cubs.html
As in many of these videos the men risked their own safety and equipment to rescue the animals. We can all find dozens of videos of animal rescues.

Yet theists propose the existence of a supposedly loving God who who made us in his likeness, yet this God "intelligently designed" a world where many animals and microbes will die if they don't tear other animals limb from limb or destroy them with long agonizing deaths.

This is a great argument against the existence of the God of the Bible. Congratulations to POI for proposing it.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

William
Savant

Post #515

Post by William »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #514]
Yet theists propose the existence of a supposedly loving God who who made us in his likeness, yet this God "intelligently designed" a world where many animals and microbes will die if they don't tear other animals limb from limb or destroy them with long agonizing deaths.
Is it atheism which gives you relief from the problem of evil. If so, does atheism also give you relief from the problem of how the world naturally functions?

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #516

Post by benchwarmer »

William wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:57 pm Is it atheism which gives you relief from the problem of evil.
Just jumping in the middle here.

For most atheists, I imagine there is no "problem of evil". This so called problem only exists for theists who claim their god is perfectly 'good'. i.e. perfectly not evil.

As an atheist I don't believe in any thus far proposed gods. I recognize the concept of evil (based on my own subjective opinion of what is evil), but see no 'problem' other than I suppose the people who are knowingly committing this evil. That, however, is not the commonly known 'problem of evil'.
William wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:57 pm If so, does atheism also give you relief from the problem of how the world naturally functions?
The only thing atheism gives me relief of is worrying about what any particular god concept might be thinking of me or planning to do to me. As for how that world functions, that's what science is all about. Observing, questioning, testing, and verifying. Anything that doesn't have an answer is "I don't know, maybe we should keep looking if we care".

William
Savant

Post #517

Post by William »

benchwarmer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:11 pm
William wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:57 pm Is it atheism which gives you relief from the problem of evil.
Just jumping in the middle here.

For most atheists, I imagine there is no "problem of evil". This so called problem only exists for theists who claim their god is perfectly 'good'. i.e. perfectly not evil.

As an atheist I don't believe in any thus far proposed gods. I recognize the concept of evil (based on my own subjective opinion of what is evil), but see no 'problem' other than I suppose the people who are knowingly committing this evil. That, however, is not the commonly known 'problem of evil'.
William wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:57 pm If so, does atheism also give you relief from the problem of how the world naturally functions?
The only thing atheism gives me relief of is worrying about what any particular god concept might be thinking of me or planning to do to me. As for how that world functions, that's what science is all about. Observing, questioning, testing, and verifying. Anything that doesn't have an answer is "I don't know, maybe we should keep looking if we care".
My thoughts exactly. I just posted this.

There are those who do go by the name "atheist" who are agnostic about the subject, but a lot of them do reason that if we exist within a created thing, then "anything which created the universe and specifically the horrors the Earth produces, points only to an evil god-creator."

I find the notion bizarre, even though I understand it/have experienced it, myself.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #518

Post by JoeyKnothead »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:30 am ...
Quite so that threats of hellfire or whatever are without force, but Believers can never be sure which religion is the correct one and thus just which wrong believers are going to burn, if any.
I tote me a hog wherever I go, just in case. No sense not putting on a barbecue while I'm at it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin