Abraham’s Visitors

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Abraham’s Visitors

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

An Interlinear will show that YHWH was one of three who paid a visit to Abraham. YHWH came to earth as a man. He and the other visitors ate food as any human would do. It was YHWH who Abraham repeatedly asked if there were any righteous men in Sodom would He still destroy it?

If we can believe that YHWH came to earth in the form of a human being, ate and spoke as a man with Abraham, how is it some refuse to believe YHWH came to earth as a man called Jesus?
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Conversator
Student

Re: Abraham’s Visitors

Post #2

Post by Conversator »

I imagine for the same reason you refuse to believe the multitudinous theophanies that preceded your own religion. All the myriad of various theophanic religions have been perplexed by your question as well: 'Why won't other religions believe in our particular theophanic religion? Do they doubt the ability of our deity to manifest in this manner, or simply the credulity of our religion itself?' :shock:
I prefer Coca-Cola

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #3

Post by AquinasForGod »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:01 am An Interlinear will show that YHWH was one of three who paid a visit to Abraham. YHWH came to earth as a man. He and the other visitors ate food as any human would do. It was YHWH who Abraham repeatedly asked if there were any righteous men in Sodom would He still destroy it?

If we can believe that YHWH came to earth in the form of a human being, ate and spoke as a man with Abraham, how is it some refuse to believe YHWH came to earth as a man called Jesus?
What is interesting about that story is that it was three men who left to Sodom, then Yhwh shows up. I would argue, he was those three men.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #4

Post by MissKate13 »

=AquinasForGod post_id=1109285 time=1674846537 user_id=16526
What is interesting about that story is that it was three men who left to Sodom, then Yhwh shows up. I would argue, he was those three men.
I went back and read it again beginning with 18:16. The men got up to leave. Abraham walked along with them. It’s fair to say it was the three that got up to leave.

However, if you read a bit further to 18:22, you will learn that only two of the men went toward Sodom. Abraham remained with YHWH.

22 And the two men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the LORD.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:01 am If we can believe that YHWH came to earth in the form of a human being, ate and spoke as a man with Abraham, how is it some refuse to believe YHWH came to earth as a man called Jesus?
It's important to consider claims kinda independent of one another.

Were I to concede a god visiting earth, the story of Jesus is problematic given the claims regarding his birth. Just because a god can come to earth doesn't mean they can produce viable offspring by knocking up some married chick.

Regarding that last bit, as the god is portrayed as not too proud for all that adultery business, that just raises more questions.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:01 am An Interlinear will show that YHWH was one of three who paid a visit to Abraham. YHWH came to earth as a man. He and the other visitors ate food as any human would do. It was YHWH who Abraham repeatedly asked if there were any righteous men in Sodom would He still destroy it?

How about a lack of reasonable evidence? No witness of Jesus or his doings ever lived to preserve them in writing. Scholars will tell you that everything that has been said about Jesus was written by those who never met the man. Nor have any contemporary secular accounts of his existence ever surfaced. All we can be absolutely sure of is that there are stories about a man called Jesus, and no more. Want to hang your hopes on far-fetched stories, go right ahead. Personally, I need more than that.

neverknewyou
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by neverknewyou »

Physics 101

Diogenes
Guru

Post #8

Post by Diogenes »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:01 am If we can believe that YHWH came to earth in the form of a human being, ate and spoke as a man with Abraham, how is it some refuse to believe YHWH came to earth as a man called Jesus?
We can't believe 'YHWH' came to earth to visit Abraham... unless we are so gullible we believe ANYTHING just because it's sandwiched in leather, titled 'Holy Bible' and published by Nelson or Zondervan, human publishing houses last I checked. Should I believe in Zeus, just because it's published in 'The Golden Bough?' How about Odin and Thor, or The Ugly Ducklng for that matter because Hans Christian Anderson told me so?

People believe this twaddle because their parents told them so and they never grew out of it. So let's quit trying to prove 'the Bible is true' because the Bible says so. See:

"Guidelines for the C&A subforum,
2. Avoid using the Bible as the sole source to prove that Christianity is true."

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Purple Knight »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:01 amIf we can believe that YHWH came to earth in the form of a human being, ate and spoke as a man with Abraham, how is it some refuse to believe YHWH came to earth as a man called Jesus?
You're absolutely right. No one should believe the first thing and become incredulous only at the latter. Even the idea of divine beings making offspring is backed up by the nephalim.

It's consistent within the story.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:01 am ...how is it some refuse to believe YHWH came to earth as a man called Jesus?
Because Jesus says there is only one true God that is greater than him.

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

You heard how I told you, ‘I go away, and I come to you.’ If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I said ‘I am going to my Father;’ for the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

What do you think, should I rather believe you or Jesus?