Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

There are those that think that the King Jame Version of the Bible is the most accurate Bible translation there is. Many have placed their whole dogma on this belief. What evidence is there that it is or it is not the most accurate translation?

In the 1611 KJV Acts 12:4 says, "And when hee had apprehended him, hee put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to keepe him, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."

Here it says that people where celebrating Easter. Is this one of the errors in the KJV?
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conversator
Student

Re: Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Post #41

Post by Conversator »

Tcg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:18 pm
Conversator wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:05 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:52 pm
Conversator wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:38 pm
I'm barely two years in.
Two years into your Master's degree? I got my Master's degree in two years. What am I missing here?

Tcg
I suppose you're a cleverer chap than I. Cheers!
That's not my point. You state you're going for a PhD and yet haven't achieved your Masters. How are you going far a PhD absent a Masters? Was I silly enough to take an unneeded step?

Tcg
Unfortunately, I mentioned my PhD ambition in my previous signature. Currently, I'm struggling with my masters. Financially, emotionally, etc. I regret mentioning it. I also regret mentioning the bit about smoking random cigarette butts. I swear it's from the communal ashtray of my roomies. :D I'll refrain from giving personal info. I also want to be Flea when I grow up. Oops
I prefer Coca-Cola

otseng
Savant

Post #42

Post by otseng »

Tcg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 pm
otseng wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:49 pm
I have zero background in Hebrew or Greek.
Yes, that answers my question quite thoroughly.
If you're implying I'm not qualified to create a reliable translation, that would be true if I did not use any software assistance. But, the technique I used to transliterate is basically a programmatic approach and doesn't require anything other than a simple algorithm. So, no original language skills on my part are required. Plus, anybody can check my work and compare for themselves the original and my translation. If anyone finds an error, I'd be happy to correct it.

historia
Prodigy

Post #43

Post by historia »

Tcg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:18 pm
How are you going far a PhD absent a Masters?
There are lots of doctoral programs -- particularly in the United States -- that admit students without a Master's degree. You might optionally be awarded a Master's degree along the way in those programs, but some don't even do that. It all depends on the program.

Tcg
Savant

Post #44

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:08 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 pm
otseng wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:49 pm
I have zero background in Hebrew or Greek.
Yes, that answers my question quite thoroughly.
If you're implying I'm not qualified to create a reliable translation, that would be true if I did not use any software assistance.
Who created the software you use for assistance?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

otseng
Savant

Post #45

Post by otseng »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:11 am Who created the software you use for assistance?
Eliran Wong and myself. The code is open source and anyone can download and use it:
https://github.com/eliranwong/UniqueBible

Tcg
Savant

Post #46

Post by Tcg »

otseng wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:49 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:11 am Who created the software you use for assistance?
Eliran Wong and myself. The code is open source and anyone can download and use it:
https://github.com/eliranwong/UniqueBible
What is Eliran Wong's expertise in ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

otseng
Savant

Post #47

Post by otseng »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:21 am What is Eliran Wong's expertise in ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek?
Actually, he is an expert. He created the Marvel Bible which is arguably the best free original language dataset of the Bible. But, he is not involved in my translation work. We only collaborate on the Unique Bible study software.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #48

Post by 2timothy316 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:18 pm
I was talking about spiritual truth, the greatest truth that matters in the Bible. The world (or "book of creation") has nothing to do to teach us spiritual truths.
Yet the Bible, whom you say gives us the 'greatest truth that matters', uses exactly what you say has nothing to do with truth.

Jesus even used the world around him to teach spiritual truth.
"Observe intently the birds of heaven; they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth more than they are?" - Matthew 6:26

We are even instructed to look at the whole universe and ask ourselves, who did this? When we think about all the stars in the whole universe, we can't even count them. But Jehovah knows them by name.
"Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing." - Isaiah 40:26

Job 38:3, 4 says, "Brace yourself, please, like a man; I will question you, and you inform me. Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you think you understand."
So, please tell God that His world around us has nothing to do with with teaching us spiritual truth. Inform Him that His creation is filled with what, lies? Tell Him that He shouldn't be using the Birds and stars to teach us about Him.

So the statement "the world has nothing to do to teach us spiritual truths" is incorrect, because even the Bible uses creation and physical things around us to teach us spiritual truth.
The passage you quoted is not speaking about any invisible physical laws (like gravity), it's speaking about mankind knowing (but rejecting) that they were made in the image of God and thus knowing (but again, rejecting) the fact that there is a God, so they are without excuse.
This is an interpretation so that you can attempt (and fail) to support your dogma and I do not accept this personal interpretation as true. It mentions 'image of God' know where. I read it exactly as is says. I add no interpretation to it. God did make the laws of physics when He made the world and that is no interpretation, that is fact. I see His eternal power and Godship in all creation. I'm sorry you can't and do wish to look.
Now, the Bible was not given to us in English, therefore any translation is subject to be examined against the original texts. This is how we can be sure that the English translated word for "Easter", simply means "passover". The Greek texts show this with a little effort on our part to look into it. And this same truth applies to any word translated in any language.
Yet, this is not what people do. People misuse these errors to defame God and mislead others. So why not remove the error? Why not let truth shine instead of keeping it buried and giving ammo to God's detractors? It seems to me there is an ulterior motive for folks that want to push their own 'truth'. I can so no other reason to keep something in error when we know it's an error and to use the guise of to 'keep the direction of spiritual' is bogus. What is up with Christendom always wanting to keep the Bible in languages that people don't understand? I can only think of one answer and that is to keep the power to themselves and so they can misuse the Bible by saying, "See the Bible says it right here."

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by Difflugia »

otseng wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:08 amIf you're implying I'm not qualified to create a reliable translation, that would be true if I did not use any software assistance. But, the technique I used to transliterate is basically a programmatic approach and doesn't require anything other than a simple algorithm. So, no original language skills on my part are required. Plus, anybody can check my work and compare for themselves the original and my translation. If anyone finds an error, I'd be happy to correct it.
The way I understand the translation you're working on, you're transliterating certain words and leaving them untranslated, pushing the responsibility for the reliability of the translation onto the reader. I'm not criticizing the approach, but I think you and Tcg are attaching different meanings to the word "reliable" in this context.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Conversator
Student

Post #50

Post by Conversator »

The Kjv is better than the Vulgate. The Vulgate gave Moses goat horns in Exodus 34:29-35. Thus all the Catholic art depicting Moses as a devil :shock:.
I prefer Coca-Cola