The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

The proposition for debate is that when one takes the tales of Genesis literally, one becomes intellectually disabled, at least temporarily. Taking Genesis literally requires one to reject biology (which includes evolution) and other sciences in favor of 'magic.' Geology and radiometric dating have to be rejected since the Earth formed only about 6000 years ago, during the same week the Earth was made (in a single day).

Much of the debate in the topic of Science and Religion consists of theists who insist on a literal interpretation of Genesis rejecting basic science. Most of the resulting debates are not worth engaging in.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

brunumb
Savant

Re: The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Post #741

Post by brunumb »

dad1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:10 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:06 pm
dad1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:12 pm You can't comment on whether such claims are false or true, except by faith and opinion.
Your comment here does nothing to refute my assertion that you can't put truth to supernatural claims.
You have no way to know supernatural. You are guessing based on squat. (and doing so in the face or overwhelming evidence from all places and all ages)
:? Say what? If Joey has ho way of knowing the supernatural, how does anyone?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #742

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:21 pm
dad1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:10 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:06 pm
dad1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:12 pm You can't comment on whether such claims are false or true, except by faith and opinion.
Your comment here does nothing to refute my assertion that you can't put truth to supernatural claims.
You have no way to know supernatural. You are guessing based on squat. (and doing so in the face or overwhelming evidence from all places and all ages)
:? Say what? If Joey has no way of knowing the supernatural, how does anyone?
Really.

And I do shrooms!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #743

Post by dad1 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:25 pm
dad1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:17 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:47 pm
dad1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:46 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:32 pm
dad1 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:30 pm I disagree.
Nothing in your comment here refutes my assertion that you can't put truth to supernatural claims.
I disagree
Nothing in your comment here refutes my assertion that you can't put truth to supernatural claims.
I disagree
See my quoted comment above.

I point out that putting truth to supernatural claims'd sure make me look wrong in my assertion.
That's nice

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #744

Post by JoeyKnothead »

dad1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:12 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: See my quoted comment above.

I point out that putting truth to supernatural claims'd sure make me look wrong in my assertion.
That's nice
-Punkinhead Martin

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #745

Post by dad1 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:22 am

That's nice
Jesus took care of that, thanks. You have no way to prove me wrong. Or right. So feel free to parrot away.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #746

Post by JoeyKnothead »

dad1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:27 am

That's nice
Jesus took care of that, thanks. You have no way to prove me wrong. Or right. So feel free to parrot away.
-Punkinhead Martin

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #747

Post by dad1 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:51 am
dad1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:27 am

That's nice
They already have truth. No need for me to mix more in. What has no truth is anyone claiming there is no supernatural.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #748

Post by JoeyKnothead »

dad1 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:56 am They already have truth. No need for me to mix more in. What has no truth is anyone claiming there is no supernatural.
-Punkinhead Martin

otseng
Savant

Post #749

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Locking thread due to multiple post reports, repeated infractions, and unconstructive posts.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #750

Post by AquinasForGod »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:12 pm The proposition for debate is that when one takes the tales of Genesis literally, one becomes intellectually disabled, at least temporarily. Taking Genesis literally requires one to reject biology (which includes evolution) and other sciences in favor of 'magic.' Geology and radiometric dating have to be rejected since the Earth formed only about 6000 years ago, during the same week the Earth was made (in a single day).

Much of the debate in the topic of Science and Religion consists of theists who insist on a literal interpretation of Genesis rejecting basic science. Most of the resulting debates are not worth engaging in.
This is somewhat true, but it is more than just taking Genesis literally. I can take Aesop's fables literally without committing myself to believing frogs talk. It is not like the fable is a metaphor, say the one of the Ox and the frogs. It is a story I read literally, I don't read it metaphorically. I read the words to mean exactly what they state. I just happen to know that what the words stated are about a fantasy world, not our actual world.

So the problem comes when someone reads Genesis as though everything it says is about the actual world. They read it as though it were a history book, or even sometimes as though it were a book of science, which is it not.