Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

There are those that think that the King Jame Version of the Bible is the most accurate Bible translation there is. Many have placed their whole dogma on this belief. What evidence is there that it is or it is not the most accurate translation?

In the 1611 KJV Acts 12:4 says, "And when hee had apprehended him, hee put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to keepe him, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."

Here it says that people where celebrating Easter. Is this one of the errors in the KJV?
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Post #51

Post by 2timothy316 »

Conversator wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:50 am The Kjv is better than the Vulgate. The Vulgate gave Moses goat horns in Exodus 34:29-35. Thus all the Catholic art depicting Moses as a devil :shock:.
This is a good example of why revisions are needed.
When some one says,
Eddie Ramos wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:12 pm It doesn't matter where the word "Easter " comes from.
Is like saying it doesn't matter where the word horn comes from or any word comes from. Now we have a bunch of statues with horns on them.

otseng
Savant

Post #52

Post by otseng »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:06 am The way I understand the translation you're working on, you're transliterating certain words and leaving them untranslated, pushing the responsibility for the reliability of the translation onto the reader. I'm not criticizing the approach, but I think you and Tcg are attaching different meanings to the word "reliable" in this context.
Right, that is my approach. So, there is no need for someone to use this approach to be literate in the original languages. Using software tools is sufficient to produce my translation.

What I mean by reliable is the work I've produced does not add any of my personal interpretation or translation to the text and is simply an alternative view of the base text (KJV). It is at a minimum as reliable as any other KJV Bible.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #53

Post by Eddie Ramos »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:07 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:18 pm
I was talking about spiritual truth, the greatest truth that matters in the Bible. The world (or "book of creation") has nothing to do to teach us spiritual truths.
Yet the Bible, whom you say gives us the 'greatest truth that matters', uses exactly what you say has nothing to do with truth.

Jesus even used the world around him to teach spiritual truth.
"Observe intently the birds of heaven; they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth more than they are?" - Matthew 6:26
First, you are dismissing the fact that Jesus did not speak without parables (Mat 13:34 & Mk 4:34). So, in everything Jesus spoke, he is concealing a spiritual truth. Therefore, we cannot take his words "Observe intently the birds heaven" and literally do it thinking there is some spiritual truth to bird watching. The birds of heaven are being used as part of his parable and need to be understood in light of the parable itself.
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:07 am We are even instructed to look at the whole universe and ask ourselves, who did this? When we think about all the stars in the whole universe, we can't even count them. But Jehovah knows them by name.
"Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing." - Isaiah 40:26
Again, because you take the Bible at face value, you arrive at these faulty interpretations. But the word of God (Christ) is a doctrine of parables (Mr 4:2) where God uses physical things to conceal spiritual truths that must be searched out, but not through astrology or bird watching or any other earthly means, but by looking into his very word.
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:07 am Job 38:3, 4 says, "Brace yourself, please, like a man; I will question you, and you inform me. Where were you when I founded the earth? Tell me, if you think you understand."
So, please tell God that His world around us has nothing to do with with teaching us spiritual truth. Inform Him that His creation is filled with what, lies? Tell Him that He shouldn't be using the Birds and stars to teach us about Him.
Not sure what watered down version of the Bible you are using, but when God is questioning Job and demanding answers, he doesn't say, "please". Here's the more accurate KJV.

"Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me".
As for the rest of this paragraph, I think it's the same 2 answers as above.

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:07 am So the statement "the world has nothing to do to teach us spiritual truths" is incorrect, because even the Bible uses creation and physical things around us to teach us spiritual truth.
The passage you quoted is not speaking about any invisible physical laws (like gravity), it's speaking about mankind knowing (but rejecting) that they were made in the image of God and thus knowing (but again, rejecting) the fact that there is a God, so they are without excuse.
This is an interpretation so that you can attempt (and fail) to support your dogma and I do not accept this personal interpretation as true. It mentions 'image of God' know where.

The Bible is not subject to private (one's own) interpretation, therefore any conclusion that is arrived by studying any particular passage must be in agreement with the scriptures themselves because the scriptures agree in one.
So, just because you rejected an interpretation doesn't mean that the interpretation is incorrect. This passage doesn't have to say, "image of God" in order for it to be teaching that very thing. Let's see:

Rom 1:19
Because that which may be known of God is manifest IN (meaning THROUGH) them; for God hath shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him (his image and his likeness) from (not THROUGH, but FROM the beginning) the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

This passage has to do with God's creation of mankind himself, not the whole creation because God only manifested himself through mankind by creating then in his image and in his likeness. Therefore, mankind knows this and they are without excuse in their rebellion against their creator.
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:07 am It mentions 'image of God' know where. I read it exactly as is says. I add no interpretation to it. God did make the laws of physics when He made the world and that is no interpretation, that is fact. I see His eternal power and Godship in all creation. I'm sorry you can't and do wish to look.
This is the biggest mistake you are making in your approach of the scriptures. Where did you learn to read and take the scriptures exactly as it says? Probably from grammar school which applies this logic to every man mande book. But the Bible is not like any man made book because it didn't come from the minds of men but from the mind and mouth of God. It is a spiritual book where God sets up his own principles and rules for how its to be approached and interpreted. And the face value method is not it.
God is a God who hides truth in his word, not lays it out in the open for all to see.

Mat 13:10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

Isa 45:15 Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself, O God of Israel, the Saviour.

Prov 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing (a WORD): but the honour of kings is to search out a matter (a WORD).

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #54

Post by 2timothy316 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:53 pm
I was talking about spiritual truth, the greatest truth that matters in the Bible. The world (or "book of creation") has nothing to do to teach us spiritual truths.
Yet the Bible, whom you say gives us the 'greatest truth that matters', uses exactly what you say has nothing to do with truth.

"Observe intently the birds of heaven; they do not sow seed or reap or gather into storehouses, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth more than they are?" - Matthew 6:26
First, you are dismissing the fact that Jesus did not speak without parables (Mat 13:34 & Mk 4:34).
I did not dismiss anything. You're the one that dismisses the fact that Jesus used the truth of the world around him to show God's spiritual truth. Also, Matt 6:26 was not a parable. Jesus said, "observe" which means "notice or perceive (something) and register it as being significant." Birds do not exist in parable alone. It is truth that they do not use storehouses, plant crops and reap them like man does. Yet they are fed. This is just plain fact and not parable.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #55

Post by 2timothy316 »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:07 am We are even instructed to look at the whole universe and ask ourselves, who did this? When we think about all the stars in the whole universe, we can't even count them. But Jehovah knows them by name.
"Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? It is the One who brings out their army by number; He calls them all by name. Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, Not one of them is missing." - Isaiah 40:26
Again, because you take the Bible at face value, you arrive at these faulty interpretations.
There is no reason not to take it at face value.
However, because the Bible must fit YOUR dogma I imagine you must insert man-made meanings to change it's meaning to fit YOUR dogma.
I and many others do not need to change the way the scripture reads to fit our dogma.

The scripture above says, "Lift up your eyes to the heaven and see. Who has created these things?"
What do I see. Stars. Who made them? Jehovah God and it is an awe-inspiring thought of spiritual truth that while I could never count them, He knows their number and has even named all of them. How do I know this? I read it and there is no reason to change it's meaning to anything else.

Yet what do those that don't take scripture at face value think?
physical things to conceal spiritual truths
This is false. There is no evidence that God is trying to hide something in this physical world. Your interpretations don't count as truth. This dogma is about hiding truth and teaching one to burying one's head in the sand. Why? So that one can push their own dogma and agenda hiding it in the 'mystery' of God and saying that only they know what the scripture really means. I don't fall for such nonsense.

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #56

Post by SacredBishop »

Kjv onlyism seems reasonable, however I am still using the Nkjv because i cant find a Cambridge Kjv in my book stores. They say the Cambridge Kjv is God's preserved word, the Oxford kjv is corrupt. Unfortunately most prints follow the Oxford kjv.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #57

Post by Eddie Ramos »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:33 am

First, you are dismissing the fact that Jesus did not speak without parables (Mat 13:34 & Mk 4:34).
I did not dismiss anything. You're the one that dismisses the fact that Jesus used the truth of the world around him to show God's spiritual truth. Also, Matt 6:26 was not a parable. Jesus said, "observe" which means "notice or perceive (something) and register it as being significant." Birds do not exist in parable alone. It is truth that they do not use storehouses, plant crops and reap them like man does. Yet they are fed. This is just plain fact and not parable.
How are you "not dismissing anything", yet you're literally dismissing the scriptures that I gave you that teach us that Jesus did not speak without parables? What do you do with those scriptures then if you're not dismissing them? Are you applying them only to those portions that clearly say, "this is a parable"? It appears that you are since you think Matt 6:26 is only a moral lesson from God about the fact that he feeds birds. That is the very purpose of parables, to provide a surface meaning (a moral lesson for the natural minded man) yet concealing a spiritual truth. Is that not the very nature of parables? To conceal truth from the unsaved? I gave you the scriptures, but you dismissed them. The doctrine of Christ (the Word of God) is a doctrine of parables. But if anyone dismisses it, then they can claim "not a parable" anywhere that suits them, can't they?

Mark 4:2 (KJV 1900)
And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #58

Post by Eddie Ramos »

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:54 am
Again, because you take the Bible at face value, you arrive at these faulty interpretations.
However, because the Bible must fit YOUR dogma I imagine you must insert man-made meanings to change it's meaning to fit YOUR dogma.
I and many others do not need to change the way the scripture reads to fit our dogma.
Ok, can you please post the scriptures that teach the readers to take His Word just as its written? If you'd like, I can keep posting the scriptures that tell us the complete opposite, but you've dismissed most of them so far. God wouldn't have given us a spiritual book like the Bible without also giving us the instructions for how to understand its content, which he most certainly did. But he also mentions that the natural minded man cant grasp these instructions because to them, they're foolishness.
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:54 am The scripture above says, "Lift up your eyes to the heaven and see. Who has created these things?"
What do I see. Stars. Who made them? Jehovah God and it is an awe-inspiring thought of spiritual truth that while I could never count them, He knows their number and has even named all of them. How do I know this? I read it and there is no reason to change it's meaning to anything else.
Yes, that's what the scripture plainly says. And those who literally look up and see stars can thank God for his wonderful creation. But if you stop there, then you have completely missed the spiritual meaning of what God is saying. How do we know? Because God likens the stars to people of God because Christ himself is likened to a star, and it's the people of God who are both counted and named by God.

Revelation 22:16 (KJV 1900)
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

Daniel 12:3 (KJV 1900)
And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:54 am Yet what do those that don't take scripture at face value think?
Eddie Ramos wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:53 pm physical things to conceal spiritual truths
This is false. There is no evidence that God is trying to hide something in this physical world. Your interpretations don't count as truth. This dogma is about hiding truth and teaching one to burying one's head in the sand. Why? So that one can push their own dogma and agenda hiding it in the 'mystery' of God and saying that only they know what the scripture really means. I don't fall for such nonsense.
"No evidence that God is trying to hide something in this physical world"? Well, let's see.

Numbers 20:11 (KJV 1900)
And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also.

When we read this literal actual historical account, we can see the greatness of God in his kindness in giving the people of Israel water for their thirst in the wilderness, and think to ourselves, "what a great miracle", and then move on without making this say more than what the text actually says happened. I mean only those with a "dogma" claim that there is much more important truth hidden here than just water miraculously coming out of a rock in the wilderness, right? Well, maybe. But if God hadn't taken us by the hand and shown us that there is much much more truth here to what we can figure out for ourselves, then we would just have taken that account just as it was written (and nothing more) and learned a historical truth and that's it.

But, thankfully, God did take us by the hand and showed us that this historical account was hiding a greater spiritual truth. So, it's mot my dogma, but God's way of teaching and confirming that scripture you keep dismissing, that Christ (The Word of God) did not speak without parables. Let's see:

1 Corinthians 10:1–4 (KJV 1900)
Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

And God does this enough times for God's people to get it.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #59

Post by 2timothy316 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm
Ok, can you please post the scriptures that teach the readers to take His Word just as its written?
"I am bearing witness to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things that are written about in this scroll." - Rev 22:18, 19
When you add your own dogma to scripture, change it to something else, and do not use scripture to explain scripture, you are adding to it, in violation of God's Word. When you say, 'don't take God's Word at face value' you're saying don't listen to God but listen to you. I refuse.

God is the revealer of secrets and prophecy. (Daniel 2:47) When Jesus said to observe the birds, there is no indication this was some secret prophecy that needed to be revealed.
What you do is try to declare a passage a secret so you can add to scripture and push your dogma on people. Which apparently you agree that this is what you are doing because you have not denied that this is what you're doing even once.

Can you please post the scriptures that teach the readers to NOT take His Word just as it written?

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #60

Post by Eddie Ramos »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:48 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 pm
Ok, can you please post the scriptures that teach the readers to take His Word just as its written?
"I am bearing witness to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things that are written about in this scroll." - Rev 22:18, 19
When you add your own dogma to scripture, change it to something else, and do not use scripture to explain scripture, you are adding to it, in violation of God's Word. When you say, 'don't take God's Word at face value' you're saying don't listen to God but listen to you. I refuse.

God is the revealer of secrets and prophecy. (Daniel 2:47) When Jesus said to observe the birds, there is no indication this was some secret prophecy that needed to be revealed.
What you do is try to declare a passage a secret so you can add to scripture and push your dogma on people. Which apparently you agree that this is what you are doing because you have not denied that this is what you're doing even once.

Can you please post the scriptures that teach the readers to NOT take His Word just as it written?
I think I have explained pretty clearly what I'm doing, as directed by the scriptures, and all you have to do is read back and see that I'm the only one between us who has been comparing scriptures with scriptures rather than giving my own opinions. You keep blaming me for "making a passage a secret", yet in our entire dialogue, you have not addressed any of the verses that I have given you regarding Jesus not speaking without a parable.

And what I find ironic is that your screen name is 2 Timothy 3:16, yet you don't really believe what that passage says, else you would be taking the scriptures I have given you into account. But, sadly, it's very common to reject those passages which fight against our doctrines or Bible study methods. And because you could not provide me with a single scripture that instructs you to take the Bible at face value (just for what it says), you decide to turn the tables and ask me the same thing. But I don't have a problem sharing those scriptures with you, even though I think you may just ignore them anyway, because that's what you have been doing all along. But, for the sake of anyone else that may be following along, let's begin:

One of the names of Jesus Christ is "the Word of God" (Rev 19:13). This means that this name describes for us who Jesus is. And as the Word of God, we must first learn how the word of God speaks. And as we learn about the way Jesus Christ (the Word of God ) spoke, then we can have a much better grasp on how the Bible (the Word of God) was written.

Matthew 13:34 (KJV 1900)
All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he NOT unto them:

Mark 4:34 (KJV 1900)
But without a parable spake he not unto them: and when they were alone, he expounded all things to his disciples.

Now matter how you or anyone else may feel about these verses, they are part of the Word of God and the key to understanding why the Bible was written the way it was. Now that we know that the Word of God did not speak without parables and the same Word of God explains it's parables (to his people), then we can see that parables are the doctrine of the Word of God.

Mark 4:2 (KJV 1900)
And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine,

Now that we have this information about the doctrine of the Bible being that of parables, the next thing we need to understand is why God decided to speak His Word this way? And he answers this for us.

Matthew 13:9–13 (KJV 1900)
Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

This may be pretty hard for some to swallow, that Christ would purposely speak in parables (and not speak without parables) for the express purpose of concealing the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven from the unsaved. In other words, he spoke this way so that his words could not be understood. This is no dogma on my part, it's the scriptures that you're refusing to address. It just seems unfathomable that Jesus Christ would speak in such a way so as to not allow people to understand what he means by what he is saying on the surface, yet that is exactly what the purpose of speaking in parables are for.

The Bible teaches us that parables are dark sayings, they are a mystery which need interpretation (Prov 1:6). So, now that we have a grasp on how the Word of God spoke and why he spoke that way, now we should be able to go anywhere in the Bible and understand that there is much more to what we are reading on the surface than what God is concealing. And the Bible tells us that God does this.

Proverbs 25:2 (KJV 1900)
It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: But the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

The word "thing" and "matter" are the exact same Hebrew words that are mostly translated as "WORD". Now we can better understand what this passage is saying, "It is the glory of God to conceal a word: But the honour of kings is to search out a word". This again reiterates the nature of parables which is how God hides spiritual truth using seemingly plain language to the natural minded man. God's word is spiritual in nature and can only truly be understood by those who truly have the Spirit of God. The natural minded man cannot grasp this. To him, this idea is foolishness. But this was by design.

1 Corinthians 2:11–14 (KJV 1900)
For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

This is the reason we can read one Old Testament passage and only see a historical record of a true event, yet that very same true actual historical record was specifically recorded for us as a parable for the purpose of concealing a deeper, far more important spiritual truth. Please re-read the scriptures I gave you above about the water that flowed from the rock which was a parable (a spiritual picture) of Christ. And there are tons of such like examples in the Bible. And by God showing us this, he has taken us by the hand and taught us that the way to have true spiritual understanding of a historical event, is to look all throughout the Bible for the explanation and the understanding of it. This is how God designed for proper doctrine to be developed. By leaving no stone unturned and no line ignored.

Isaiah 28:9–10 (KJV 1900)

9  Whom shall he teach knowledge?
And whom shall he make to understand doctrine?
Them that are weaned from the milk,
And drawn from the breasts.
10  For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept;
Line upon line, line upon line;
Here a little, and there a little
:

God designed this very method of developing proper doctrines from the Bible, yet this same method is what confuses the natural minded man. Again, this was by design.

Isaiah 28:11–13 (KJV 1900)
11  For with stammering lips and another tongue
Will he speak to this people.
12  To whom he said,
This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest;
And this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
13  But the word of the LORD was unto them
Precept upon precept, precept upon precept;
Line upon line, line upon line;
Here a little, and there a little;
That they might go, and fall backward, and be broken,
And snared, and taken.

Now we can understand why Christ constantly said, him that has ears to hear, let him hear". Obviously most everyone has ears and can hear, yet that's not what he meant, is it? No, he meant he that has spiritual ears to hear spiritual truths.

Romans 7:14 (KJV 1900)
For we know that the law (the Word of God) is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Colossians 1:9 (KJV 1900)
For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

Isaiah 45:15 (KJV 1900)
15  Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself,
O God of Israel, the Saviour.

Lastly, God has given us plenty of examples of what happens when someone takes Christ's words at face value, they arrive at an incorrect conclusion.

Matthew 16:5–9 (KJV 1900)
And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread. 6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees. 7 And they reasoned among themselves, saying, It is because we have taken no bread. 8 Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread? 9 Do ye not yet understand....

John 8:51–52 (KJV 1900)
Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. 52 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

John 6:50–64 (KJV 1900)
This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. 52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. 58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever. 59 These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.
60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? 61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? 62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.