Where are all the workers?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Where are all the workers?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

I just went to Mavis tire shop to have them look at my tires. They said they don't have anybody that showed up to work and don't know when they'll be coming in. Yesterday same thing happened when I went to the Walmart auto shop and said they didn't have anybody show up either. The other day we drove up to McDonalds to get lunch and they closed indoor dining because of short staff.

Where are the workers and what are they all doing?
And if they aren't working, how are they even getting money and surviving?
Is everyone getting sick from another wave of covid?
Is there some secret government stimulus check that people are getting that I don't know about?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Where are all the workers?

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to otseng in post #1]

I don't know what the answers are, but it's similar here outside of Clevland, OH. We have a Taco Bell nearby that is rarely open due to the absence of workers to staff the place. A local KFC is sometimes open but is often out of chicken.

My wife and I are both experiencing some rather serious medical issues and yet it sometimes takes two months or longer to see doctors or get diagnostic tests run like MRIs. About a year ago I was rushed to the ER and one of the nurses who cared for me was a National Guard member who was called in to replace staff who had quit. I can't imagine what it must be like in countries that don't have even the resources we have in the states.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

otseng wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:37 am And if they aren't working, how are they even getting money and surviving?
Savvy people learned how to be on covid unemployment indefinitely. Regular unemployment dries up after a set time even if you do everything you're supposed to do. I'm assuming the covid unemployment never did and there are millions still raking it in.

I was on covid unemployment and I did the stupid thing and got a new job when I could. I did the work search events and when somebody interviewed me, I went. When somebody offered me a job, I took it, despite it being a downgrade from the unemployment. I now have to acknowledge that these people simply soaking are a lot smarter than I am.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #3]

Not so sure about that.

Federal covid unemployment has ended.
COVID-19 extended unemployment benefits from the federal government have ended.
https://www.usa.gov/covid-unemployment-benefits

For Georgia, covid assistance is also over.
Beginning June 27, 2021, PUA will no longer be available in Georgia.
https://dol.georgia.gov/gdol-covid-19-information

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Purple Knight »

[Replying to otseng in post #4]

Then either they all died or they're finding assistance somewhere else. Those are the two options, since they're not working and I don't think they were spirited away to Wonderland. The Queen of Hearts told me she doesn't want them.

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #5]

Some more options are:
- Relying on credit cards
- Leeching off someone else (parents, sugar daddies, roommates, etc)
- Living in the streets

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

otseng wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:37 am I just went to Mavis tire shop to have them look at my tires. They said they don't have anybody that showed up to work and don't know when they'll be coming in. Yesterday same thing happened when I went to the Walmart auto shop and said they didn't have anybody show up either. The other day we drove up to McDonalds to get lunch and they closed indoor dining because of short staff.

Where are the workers and what are they all doing?
Sitting out the economy until wages match their expectations.
And if they aren't working, how are they even getting money and surviving?
Can't survive with money, might as well survive without.
Is everyone getting sick from another wave of covid?
If by covid you mean "tired of killing myself at a dead end job for wages that barely pay the bills", yes.
Is there some secret government stimulus check that people are getting that I don't know about?
Is it always about the poors getting help?

We're at end stage capitalism - where the economic gains go to the top, and those at the bottom get shot for protesting about it. Folks are getting tired of slaving away so some dude can fly his hobby rocket to outer space.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin