Might is right,
Adapt or die.
The world works thus.
The evil prospers,
The innocent perishes.
Doomed we are,
To suffer,
And to die.
Reminds me of Shutter Island: " All that matters is, can my violence conquer your violence?.....If I were to sink my teeth into your eye right now, could you stop me before I blinded you?" The paradox is your adjective: "evil". Humanity seems to sense things aren't right. I can't think of any materialist, naturalistic view that explains why we have words like that in our vocabulary. But I can't think of any theological view that explains why "the world works thus". Screwed either way :(
I prefer Coca-Cola

Compassionist
Guru

Re: Life as I know it

Post #3

Post by Compassionist »

Conversator wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:05 am
Compassionist wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:21 pm Life as I know it
Might is right,
Adapt or die.
The world works thus.
The evil prospers,
The innocent perishes.
Doomed we are,
To suffer,
And to die.
Reminds me of Shutter Island: " All that matters is, can my violence conquer your violence?.....If I were to sink my teeth into your eye right now, could you stop me before I blinded you?" The paradox is your adjective: "evil". Humanity seems to sense things aren't right. I can't think of any materialist, naturalistic view that explains why we have words like that in our vocabulary. But I can't think of any theological view that explains why "the world works thus". Screwed either way :(
I haven't watched Shutter Island but I looked at the description on IMDB. I am not going to watch the movie as it will trigger my PTSD symptoms. Without religion, life's a bitch, then we die. With some religions (e.g. Christianity and Islam), life's a bitch, then we go to heaven forever if we follow the right religion. With some other religions (e.g. Hinduism and Jainism), life's a bitch, then we get a better reincarnation if we earn good karma.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

There is so much truth in this that I believe an end to pain comes from embracing it and agreeing not to do it because neither of us wants to be blinded.

...Rather than what we actually do which is try to gouge the other guy's eye and shout "Evil!" if someone attempts to do it back.

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Ah, if there was no intent to bring these events into being I fail to see how injustice fits in. Care to elaborate?

Compassionist
Guru

Post #7

Post by Compassionist »

Miles wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:46 pm
Ah, if there was no intent to bring these events into being I fail to see how injustice fits in. Care to elaborate?

If we lived in a just world, all living things would be forever happy and we would all be autotrophs and no harm would ever come to any organism. It is because we live in an unjust world that there is inequality in the quality of life and the length of life of all organisms. Intention is not a prerequisite for injustice.