IS IT POSSIBLE TO STUDY THE BIBLE TOO MUCH?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

IS IT POSSIBLE TO STUDY THE BIBLE TOO MUCH?

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

This idea comes from the following passage:

Ecclesiastes 12:12 (KJV 1900)
And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

For those who take the Bible plainly and at face value (which is a huge mistake), they often conclude that this passage is in fact teaching that very thing, that there is such a thing as overdoing it in Bible study. But this understanding couldn't be further from the truth.

When we understand how God defines the "flesh" in the Bible, we realize that he associates our "flesh" with error, with sin and corruption.

Genesis 6:3 (KJV 1900)
And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that [in erring] he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Psalm 38:3 (KJV 1900)
3  There is no soundness in my flesh because of thine anger;
Neither is there any rest in my bones because of my sin.

Ecclesiastes 11:10 (KJV 1900)
Therefore remove sorrow from thy heart, and put away evil from thy flesh: for childhood and youth are vanity.

So, when we understand that "the flesh" is directly associated with evil and with sin, then we can understand that Ecc 12:12 is actually teaching us TO DO as much study as possible in order that we may weary our sinful flesh. In other words, the true children of God are fighting a spiritual battle with their flesh, in that their born again soul desires and does the will of God, yet their corrupted body (their flesh) is still under the curse of sin and desires sin. Therefore, the only way to have continual victory in this spiritual battle is to weary our flesh by spending as much time as possible in the Word of God, not by taking a break from it.

Colossians 3:2 (KJV 1900)
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Romans 12:2 (KJV 1900)
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Philippians 4:8 (KJV 1900)
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Does anyone have any comments or questions?

Miles
Savant

Re: IS IT POSSIBLE TO STUDY THE BIBLE TOO MUCH?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:37 pm This idea comes from the following passage:

And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

For those who take the Bible plainly and at face value (which is a huge mistake), they often conclude that this passage is in fact teaching that very thing, that there is such a thing as overdoing it in Bible study. But this understanding couldn't be further from the truth.
Well, one of my favorite bibles, the ERV, says:

Ecclesiastes 12:12
So, son, study these sayings, but be careful about other teachings. People are always writing books, and too much study will make you very tired.

A warning very similar to those found in other Bibles.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

No, we cannot study the Bible too much. As a matter of fact, we'll most likely still be studying it after this life is over for eternity.

Matt 24:35
Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by 2timothy316 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:37 pm This idea comes from the following passage:

For those who take the Bible plainly and at face value (which is a huge mistake), they often conclude that this passage is in fact teaching that very thing, that there is such a thing as overdoing it in Bible study.
I take that scripture at face value. Why? Because I read the context too. Here is the scripture in context.

"The words of the wise are like oxgoads, and their collected sayings are like firmly embedded nails; they have been given from one shepherd. As for anything besides these, my son, be warned: To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh. The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man." - Ecc 12:11-13

More to it than just verse 12 to consider and people that use that verse to say studying the Bible is bad are cherry picking scripture. Because the clue is where it says, "As for anything besides these". Anything besides what? 12 says, "collected sayings" from the "one shepherd" and 13 tells us, God's commandments. Where are those found? The Bible.

Ecc 12:13 is one of my favorite scriptures. "Fear the true God and keep his commandments". Is really a mistake to take it a face value? I think I'd better take it at face value.
The lesson is read more of the Bible. Don't just accept what someone tells you about a singled out verse in scripture. Especially if they say there is a 'hidden meaning', that is what is truly dangerous.