Desecrating God's name ( typing G-d ain't it)

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Conversator
Student

Desecrating God's name ( typing G-d ain't it)

Post #1

Post by Conversator »

People of all faiths know desecrating their Deity's name is No Bueno. Even though this is a Christian site, I think we all could learn a little something here.
Desecrating God's name ( Chillul HaShem) forbids destroying God's name. So most Jews dutifully type G-d, in case somebody prints it out and treats the name of God with contempt. Wadding it up and throwing it away etc. However, this ain't halachic. Ask any Rabbi with a brain, and he'll tell you it only applies to God's Hebrew names written with the Hebrew alphabet. So you can type God , Lord, Adonai, El Shaddai, or even that mysterious YHVH. Whatever floats your boat. Yep, don't need to bother with the dash. L-rd, G-d, and all that jazz.
Every Jew knows Lashon Hara ( i.e., evil tongue, to bad mouth somebody ) is a big No No. And all peoples from all places know that bad mouthing somebody is wrong too. Yet, the Jews who dutifully do the dash, will bad mouth other Jews who don't give a flip about that dash.

Can't we all just get along? People are more important than a dash, and God is too. Christians have there silly dashes, and so do we. The dash of division. Dash, dash, dash. Desecrating God's name also forbids misrepresenting God. If you're hurting people with a dash, you are desecrating God's name. If you love dashes fine, just love people more than that dash.
I prefer Coca-Cola

William
Savant

Re: Desecrating God's name ( typing G-d ain't it)

Post #2

Post by William »

[Replying to Conversator in post #1]
If you love dashes fine, just love people more than that dash.
I prefer Coca dash Cola
Dash - it - all!