Reason for Angels

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Reason for Angels

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for Debate: What is the reason for the creation of angels?

I'm particularly interested in the higher ones whose duty is to praise God. What does this accomplish exactly? Does praise and worship give God his power or does he simply enjoy it?

Miles
Savant

Re: Reason for Angels

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Took a look at the piece Wikipedia has done on angels and only found a single reference to their praising anyone in the context of Judaism and Christianity; although, in several verses in Psalms they are told to "praise the Lord."

Four classes of ministering angels minister and utter praise before the Holy One, blessed be He: the first camp (led by) Michael on His right, the second camp (led by) Gabriel on His left, the third camp (led by) Uriel before Him, and the fourth camp (led by) Raphael behind Him; and the Shekhinah of the Holy One, blessed be He, is in the centre. He is sitting on a throne high and exalted

Other than that we are told angels act as messengers, guards, and guides; intermediaries as it were between god and man, and function to intervene and intercede on behalf of humans, protecting the righteous, while also worshiping god and acting as his warriors.

Christians inherited Jewish understandings of angels, which in turn may have been partly inherited from the Egyptians. In the early stage, the Christian concept of an angel characterized the angel as a messenger of God. Later came identification of individual angelic messengers: Gabriel, Michael, Raphael, and Uriel. Then, in the space of little more than two centuries (from the 3rd to the 5th) the image of angels took on definite characteristics both in theology and in art. Ellen Muehlberger has argued that in late antiquity, angels were conceived of as one type of being among many, whose primary purpose was to guard and to guide Christians.

Christian Bible

Angels are represented throughout Christian Bibles as spiritual beings intermediate between God and humans: "Yet you have made them [humans] a little lower than God, and crowned them with glory and honor." (Psalms 8:4–5). Christians believe that angels are created beings, based on (Psalms 148:2–5; Colossians 1:16). Greek translations of the Hebrew Bible refer to intermediary beings, as angels, instead of daimons, thus giving raise to a distinction between demons and angels.[citation needed] In the Old Testament, both benevolent and fierce angels are mentioned, but never called demons. The symmetry lies between angels sent by God, and intermediary spirits of foreign deities, not in good and evil deeds.

In the New Testament, the existence of angels, just like that of demons, is taken for granted. They can intervene and intercede on behalf of humans. Angels protect the righteous (Matthew 4:6, Luke 4:11). They dwell in the heavens (Matthew 28:2, John 1:51), act as God's warriors (Matthew 26:53) and worship God (Luke 2:13).[38] In the parable of the Rich man and Lazarus, angels behave as psychopomps. The Resurrection of Jesus features angels, telling the woman that Jesus is no longer in the tomb, but has risen from the dead."

source

As for the purpose of praising god I can only think of it as serving to feed god's ego. Image One of those things god has in common with man.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 am Question for Debate: What is the reason for the creation of angels?

I should think the same reason for the creation of humans, namely that they enjoy intelligent life.

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 am
I'm particularly interested in the higher ones whose duty is to praise God. What does this accomplish exactly?
Ditto (see above)
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 am Does praise and worship give God his power or...?

One cannot give power to an omnipotent God.
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 am ...does he simply enjoy it?

I should think he enjoys it.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by SacredBishop »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:26 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 am Question for Debate: What is the reason for the creation of angels?

I should think the same reason for the creation of humans, namely that they enjoy intelligent life.

I'm particularly interested in the higher ones whose duty is to praise God. What does this accomplish exactly?
Ditto (see above)
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 am Does praise and worship give God his power or...?

Angels were created to prepare the Throneroom for prophecy, Isaiah 6:1. Amen above every amen! The alrar's coal has touched my tongue. Glory of glories!

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

SacredBishop wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:40 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:26 pm

Ditto (see above)

Angels were created to prepare the Throneroom for prophecy, Isaiah 6:1. Amen above every amen! The alrar's coal has touched my tongue. Glory of glories!

God couldn't have simply snapped his fingers and have it done in less than a sec? Must be getting rusty, or just lazy.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:26 pmI should think the same reason for the creation of humans, namely that they enjoy intelligent life.
We do too so it at least wouldn't be weird.

neverknewyou
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by neverknewyou »

I'm particularly interested in the higher ones whose duty is to praise God. What does this accomplish exactly? Does praise and worship give God his power or does he simply enjoy it?
God gets off on worshippers groveling at His feet, that's how He gets His kicks.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Plot device.

It adds to the protagonist's story if ya can say such as, "And this here bunch, they loved him!"

Who roots for a hated protagonist?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

PolytheistWitch
Student

Post #9

Post by PolytheistWitch »

I believe angels are a product of creation itself. They tend to represent pretty much anything that exists whether it's direction like north, south, east and west. They also tend to represent almost every concept out there as far as emotion and thought like wisdom or mathematics. I think this comes from the fact that I tend to be an animist and see the spiritual usually representing what exists in the material. For instance the polytheist deities tend to represent natural processes: thunder, planting cycles, the Sun. I believe angels predate the God of Abraham.

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by SacredBishop »

PolytheistWitch wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:33 am I believe angels are a product of creation itself. They tend to represent pretty much anything that exists whether it's direction like north, south, east and west. They also tend to represent almost every concept out there as far as emotion and thought like wisdom or mathematics. I think this comes from the fact that I tend to be an animist and see the spiritual usually representing what exists in the material. For instance the polytheist deities tend to represent natural processes: thunder, planting cycles, the Sun. I believe angels predate the God of Abraham.
Interesting, I was taught Demons were created first by the Darkness of the Deep in Genesis 1:2. Then God created Angels to oppose them. Satan created himself, you're correct, polytheistic deities created things too.