Which theory of time is true?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Which theory of time is true?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

According to Eternalism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternalis ... y_of_time) the past, the present and the future exist.

According to Presentism https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_presentism only the present exists.

According to the Growing Block Universe Theory of Time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growing_block_universe the past and the present exist.

Which is true? How can we know for sure?

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Re: Which theory of time is true?

Post #2

Post by SacredBishop »

Eternalism is true because Jesus said I am he who was, is, and will be. Only Eternalism accounts for what Jesus said in Revelation. If the other two theories you gave are true, then Jesus is false and I need to pick a different religion that fits the correct time theory.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

SacredBishop wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:04 pm Eternalism is true because Jesus said I am he who was, is, and will be.
Only Eternalism accounts for what Jesus said in Revelation.
So why should anyone trust what was written about Jesus's supposed utterances?

If the other two theories you gave are true, then Jesus is false and I need to pick a different religion that fits the correct time theory.
Always a reasonable option. I mean, god made mistakes so why couldn't Jesus do the same?

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by SacredBishop »

Miles wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:33 pm
SacredBishop wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:04 pm Eternalism is true because Jesus said I am he who was, is, and will be.
Only Eternalism accounts for what Jesus said in Revelation.
So why should anyone trust what was written about Jesus's supposed utterances?

If the other two theories you gave are true, then Jesus is false and I need to pick a different religion that fits the correct time theory.
Always a reasonable option. I mean, god made mistakes so why couldn't Jesus do the same?

Perhaps Jesus did err. I never said he absolutely didn't err

Compassionist
Guru

Post #5

Post by Compassionist »

SacredBishop wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:04 pm Eternalism is true because Jesus said I am he who was, is, and will be. Only Eternalism accounts for what Jesus said in Revelation. If the other two theories you gave are true, then Jesus is false and I need to pick a different religion that fits the correct time theory.
I am not convinced that the claims made in the Bible are true.

The present exists. I am sure of this much. I can't visit the past and I can't visit the future. All I can do is experience the Present Continuous, one second at a time. Does the last second exist right now? I don't think so. Does the next second exist right now? I don't think so. The last second used to exist. The next second will exist. Only the now exists right now.