Was Satan Unknown To God

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Was Satan Unknown To God

Post #1

Post by SacredBishop »

Job 1:7 " Jehovah asked Satan, where did you come from? Satan answered Jehovah, from wandering around." God didn't know who Satan was or where he came from. Satan gave a clue, " from wandering around". Question: Did Satan come from a realm unknown to God? Did Satan wander from an unknown realm into God's realm?

theophile
Guru

Re: Was Satan Unknown To God

Post #2

Post by theophile »

SacredBishop wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm Job 1:7 " Jehovah asked Satan, where did you come from? Satan answered Jehovah, from wandering around." God didn't know who Satan was or where he came from. Satan gave a clue, " from wandering around". Question: Did Satan come from a realm unknown to God? Did Satan wander from an unknown realm into God's realm?
The satan tells God that it came from wandering around the earth in Job 1. So I think that's the answer to your question, i.e., it did not come from an unknown realm, but from the earth that God created in Genesis 1.

As to whether the satan was unknown to God, you could probably go either way on that one. But I don't think it really matters to the book of Job what the answer is. What matters there is that the satan came from the earth, since it helps explain why God asks the second question to the satan, i.e., whether the satan has considered Job.

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by SacredBishop »

God simply included Satan into the conversation He was having with the sons of God. My argument is that Satan was otherwise unknown to God and to the sons of God, who were talking about Job. Satan's motive for wanting to destroy Job is unknown. Perhaps Satan simply hated him for personal reasons. Satan seemed to pass through various realms inadvertently, until he was in heaven itself. God said Satan was smarter than Daniel, Ezekiel 28:3, and extremely wealthy in gold and silver, 28:4. Perhaps, Satan acquired this wisdom and wealth from an unknown realm.

theophile
Guru

Post #4

Post by theophile »

SacredBishop wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:27 pm God simply included Satan into the conversation He was having with the sons of God. My argument is that Satan was otherwise unknown to God and to the sons of God, who were talking about Job. Satan's motive for wanting to destroy Job is unknown. Perhaps Satan simply hated him for personal reasons. Satan seemed to pass through various realms inadvertently, until he was in heaven itself. God said Satan was smarter than Daniel, Ezekiel 28:3, and extremely wealthy in gold and silver, 28:4. Perhaps, Satan acquired this wisdom and wealth from an unknown realm.
I would have a different take.

Hebrew 'ha-satan' (the satan) means the adversary or accuser. So it's reasonable to suspect that God gets this and knows that the satan has a bone to pick by showing up in God's court. Hence God asks the satan where it came from, to better understand the situation being faced. And when the satan says it came from earth, God naturally asks whether the satan has considered Job. (God knows it is humankind that rules the earth so if that's where the satan came from, it's probably humankind that the satan has a beef with, right? Hence God points the satan to a human being God holds in high esteem, hoping the example might change the satan's mind...)

Make sense? That is a more complete following of the text, methinks, and a better setup for the rest of the book. (Obviously the satan goes on to doubt Job's goodness and a test ensues to see who is right, and whether humankind has a redeeming example or not.)

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by SacredBishop »

theophile wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:32 pm
SacredBishop wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:27 pm God simply included Satan into the conversation He was having with the sons of God. My argument is that Satan was otherwise unknown to God and to the sons of God, who were talking about Job. Satan's motive for wanting to destroy Job is unknown. Perhaps Satan simply hated him for personal reasons. Satan seemed to pass through various realms inadvertently, until he was in heaven itself. God said Satan was smarter than Daniel, Ezekiel 28:3, and extremely wealthy in gold and silver, 28:4. Perhaps, Satan acquired this wisdom and wealth from an unknown realm.
I would have a different take.

Hebrew 'ha-satan' (the satan) means the adversary or accuser. So it's reasonable to suspect that God gets this and knows that the satan has a bone to pick by showing up in God's court. Hence God asks the satan where it came from, to better understand the situation being faced. And when the satan says it came from earth, God naturally asks whether the satan has considered Job. (God knows it is humankind that rules the earth so if that's where the satan came from, it's probably humankind that the satan has a beef with, right? Hence God points the satan to a human being God holds in high esteem, hoping the example might change the satan's mind...)

Make sense? That is a more complete following of the text, methinks, and a better setup for the rest of the book. (Obviously the satan goes on to doubt Job's goodness and a test ensues to see who is right, and whether humankind has a redeeming example or not.)
Correct in Hebrew Satan means enemy, however if Satan is from another realm then the similarity is coincidental. Perhaps HaSatan means The Wanderer in his native language from his actual realm. However, I could be wrong. Perhaps, as you suggested, Satan is a human who bore a grudge with Job, and went to heaven to start a beef with him. Then God empowers him to do so. That's an interesting view as well. I will think about it. Your view has merit as well.

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by SacredBishop »

The more I think about it, it makes sense. Satan and Job were neighbors, who strongly disliked each other. Satan used black arts, similar to those Pharoah's magicians used, and went to heaven to destroy Job. That would explain God's shock at his arrival in heaven. "How did you get in here?",Job 1:7.

tam
Savant

Post #7

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
SacredBishop wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:08 pm Job 1:7 " Jehovah asked Satan, where did you come from? Satan answered Jehovah, from wandering around." God didn't know who Satan was or where he came from. Satan gave a clue, " from wandering around". Question: Did Satan come from a realm unknown to God? Did Satan wander from an unknown realm into God's realm?
You are reading too much into it (and as has been pointed out, Satan replied that he had been wandering about on the earth). God is just asking 'where have you come from', as in, 'where have you been'. Like asking for a report. It does not mean that Satan was unknown to God, and we can see this from chapter 2, because God asks Satan the very same question that He asked him in chapter 1.

"On another day the angels[a] came to present themselves before [the Lord], and Satan also came with them to present himself before him. 2 And [the Lord] said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Job 2:1

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Davado
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Davado »

I thought Satan was a fallen angel. Sorry I don't have a biblical reference for this because I don't readeth that trash. Didn't he tempt eve in Eden ? etc

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by SacredBishop »

Davado wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:25 pm I thought Satan was a fallen angel. Sorry I don't have a biblical reference for this because I don't readeth that trash. Didn't he tempt eve in Eden ? etc
No, a snake did that and was cursed to slither and eat rodents and such Genesis 3:14. I readeth it :)

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by SacredBishop »

tam wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:54 pm Peace to you,
You are reading too much into it (and as has been pointed out, Satan replied that he had been wandering about on the earth). God is just asking 'where have you come from', as in, 'where have you been'. Like asking for a report. It does not mean that Satan was unknown to God, and we can see this from chapter 2, because God asks Satan the very same question that He asked him in chapter 1.

"On another day the angels[a] came to present themselves before [the Lord], and Satan also came with them to present himself before him. 2 And [the Lord] said to Satan, “Where have you come from?” Job 2:1

Peace again.
Hmm, interesting. Guess they were patrolling the earth and then reporting back.