What was Jesus hinting at by saying the son of man came eating and drinking?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Bobcat
Apprentice

What was Jesus hinting at by saying the son of man came eating and drinking?

Post #1

Post by Bobcat »

Jesus said that the son of man came eating and drinking but people said he was a drunkard and a friend of sinners. But what did He really mean by eating and drinking?

Scripture defines God’s servant as eating and drinking. So Jesus was describing the son of man as God’s servant not Him alone.

Reference;

“The son of man came eating and drinking and people say he is a drunkard and a friend of sinners and tax collectors….”

“My servants shall eat but you shall go hungry. My servants shall drink but you shall go thirsty.”

Has anyone ever heard this before?

Bobcat
Apprentice

Re: What was Jesus hinting at by saying the son of man came eating and drinking?

Post #11

Post by Bobcat »

AquinasForGod wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:25 pm [Replying to Bobcat in post #1]

I don't have a problem with Jesus eating and drinking. We have to eat. They accused him of overeating, but nothing in the gospels suggests that is true. Jesus drank wine, which is not a big deal. God never forbade the drinking of alcohol, not even to the Jews who had the most strict laws.
Jesus also said what food the son of man eats.

“My food is doing the will of my Heavenly Father and bringing His work to completion.”

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: What was Jesus hinting at by saying the son of man came eating and drinking?

Post #12

Post by 2timothy316 »

Bobcat wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:11 pm
AquinasForGod wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:25 pm [Replying to Bobcat in post #1]

I don't have a problem with Jesus eating and drinking. We have to eat. They accused him of overeating, but nothing in the gospels suggests that is true. Jesus drank wine, which is not a big deal. God never forbade the drinking of alcohol, not even to the Jews who had the most strict laws.
Jesus also said what food the son of man eats.

“My food is doing the will of my Heavenly Father and bringing His work to completion.”
This would be spiritual food. Which any person that worships God in a way acceptable to Him by doing His work is taking in spiritual food. Which this does have something in common with what was stated at Isaiah 65:13. Those that obey are spiritually well fed and are happier and will live forever. While those that disobey they will spiritually starve and eventually die from the lack of spiritual food. "man does not live by bread alone but man lives by every expression from Jehovah’s mouth." Deut 8:3

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by SacredBishop »

Jesus meant he was a city boy and John the Baptist stayed out in the country avoiding city life. I think this is the case