Is God evil?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Is God evil?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

There are many verses in the Bible about God's predestination. https://www.openbible.info/topics/predestination Why would a good God predestine anyone to do evil? Surely, a good God would predestine all to do good? Does the existence of evil prove that God is evil? Surely, a good God would have made all living things to be autotrophs instead of making some autotrophs, some herbivores, some carnivores, some omnivores, and some parasites? Here are some examples of evil events which caused or are causing suffering, deaths, and injustices:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinction_events
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_n ... death_toll
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_g ... death_toll
https://thevegancalculator.com/animal-slaughter

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Is God evil?

Post #141

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Compassionist in post #139
The people who believe that the Earth is flat ignore direct perceptions of the curvature of the Earth from high up on a skyscraper or a mountain or a plane or a helicopter. Also, they ignore the direct perception that the mast of a ship appears as a tiny dot across the horizon and gradually gets taller as the ship gets closer to the port. This happens due to the curvature of the Earth.
Flat-earthers don't ignore those phenomena; they simply dismiss them as "illusion"----while preferring illusions of their own.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #142

Post by Compassionist »

I have decided to not be an Agnostic Atheist anymore. I have become just an Agnostic. I can't decide if God is imaginary or real. I also can't decide if God is good or evil. I also can't decide if solipsism is true or if dualism is true or if monism is true or if materialism is true or if idealism is true or if naive realism is true. I wish I could know for sure what exists and what does not exist. I miss the comfort of being religious but experience too much cognitive dissonance to return to religion. It's a Catch-22. I have studied the top 12 religions and can't decide if any of them is at all true. I wish I was never conceived. I find life too hard.

I watched this video
about whether the past and the future exist. I am so confused by it all.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #143

Post by Athetotheist »

Compassionist wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:24 pm I have decided to not be an Agnostic Atheist anymore. I have become just an Agnostic. I can't decide if God is imaginary or real. I also can't decide if God is good or evil. I also can't decide if solipsism is true or if dualism is true or if monism is true or if materialism is true or if idealism is true or if naive realism is true. I wish I could know for sure what exists and what does not exist. I miss the comfort of being religious but experience too much cognitive dissonance to return to religion. It's a Catch-22. I have studied the top 12 religions and can't decide if any of them is at all true. I wish I was never conceived. I find life too hard.

I watched this video
Try flipping it around and considering all the wondrous, mysterious, intriguing possibilities encompassed by not knowing!

Davado
Banned
Banned

Post #144

Post by Davado »

It's silly to ask if God is evil IMO because he created the concept of evil vs good.
But a God who requires you be his sychophants else you burn in hell is certainly a psychopath.
That isn't the act of a loving God. But a tyrant.
When you add to that our rates are determined before we are a twinkle in our fathers eye. You certainly have to question his benevolence.

I believe God has people fooled on this point because everyone refers to the Bible when questioning Christianity.
But if you ignore scripture and look at him objectively, he is a supercunt. Apologies for the profanity but that's what he is.
He's not even an interesting guy. He's a jerk.

I am going to create a world that requires a saviour.
Why not create one that doesn't?
Then I'm going to give you that saviour.
And guess who it is.....
Yep...me.
And everyone worships him or gets eternal torture.

How absurd. If it wasn't real it'd be laughable.
He created good vs evil in order to justify burning some of us. He may aswell judge us on whether we prefer apples to oranges for all the sense it makes.
Then burns some and takes the rest to heaven with him based on a predestined fate we have no control over.

Davado
Banned
Banned

Post #145

Post by Davado »

I sympathise with compassionate who wishes he was never conceived. I long for obliteration. Ceasing to exist in any world.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #146

Post by Athetotheist »

Davado wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:17 pm It's silly to ask if God is evil IMO because he created the concept of evil vs good.
But a God who requires you be his sychophants else you burn in hell is certainly a psychopath.
That isn't the act of a loving God. But a tyrant.
When you add to that our rates are determined before we are a twinkle in our fathers eye. You certainly have to question his benevolence.

I believe God has people fooled on this point because everyone refers to the Bible when questioning Christianity.
But if you ignore scripture and look at him objectively, he is a supercunt. Apologies for the profanity but that's what he is.
He's not even an interesting guy. He's a jerk.

I am going to create a world that requires a saviour.
Why not create one that doesn't?
Then I'm going to give you that saviour.
And guess who it is.....
Yep...me.
And everyone worships him or gets eternal torture.

How absurd. If it wasn't real it'd be laughable.
He created good vs evil in order to justify burning some of us. He may aswell judge us on whether we prefer apples to oranges for all the sense it makes.
Then burns some and takes the rest to heaven with him based on a predestined fate we have no control over.
You're not ignoring scripture when you refer to a God who builds a world requiring a savior and creates good and evil to justify burning people. That's a concept of God which scripture might give you. If your concept of God were broader, you wouldn't have those issues.

Davado
Banned
Banned

Post #147

Post by Davado »

Narrower perhaps.the narrow Christian perspective

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #148

Post by Bust Nak »

Davado wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:17 pm he is a supercunt. Apologies for the profanity but that's what he is.
:warning: Moderator Warning

Apology noted, but you are still getting a warning.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #149

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Is God evil?

I don't know him, that I can rightly tell.

This site is a great example of gods being reflective of their promoters. I look at the loving and caring theists, and worship their gods. Then I look at the hateful theists, and spit on theirs.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #150

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Compassionist wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:24 pm I have decided to not be an Agnostic Atheist anymore. I have become just an Agnostic. I can't decide if God is imaginary or real. I also can't decide if God is good or evil. I also can't decide if solipsism is true or if dualism is true or if monism is true or if materialism is true or if idealism is true or if naive realism is true. I wish I could know for sure what exists and what does not exist. I miss the comfort of being religious but experience too much cognitive dissonance to return to religion. It's a Catch-22. I have studied the top 12 religions and can't decide if any of them is at all true. I wish I was never conceived. I find life too hard.

I watched this video
Brilliant is the mind that sees the universe, and becomes confused.

Dull is the mind that sees it, and thinks he understands.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin