Purpose of spotlight on racism

Debate and discussion on racism and related issues

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Purpose of spotlight on racism

Post #1

Post by otseng »

The issue of racism is personally important for me and I also believe important for this country and the world.

This forum will contain debate and discussions anything related to racism. As usual, please uphold the rules and be civil and respectful.

In order to foster open discussion, there will be no censorship of different perspectives. Please respect the opinions and beliefs of other people.

Davado
Banned
Banned

Re: Purpose of spotlight on racism

Post #21

Post by Davado »

That doesn't show why he was banned but nevermind ,I stumbled onto the taboo topic.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by Purple Knight »

This topic does paint a very negative picture of what happens to you here when you're on the pro side of racism.

It does just so happen that everyone banned happens to have added nasty comments to what they believe to be correct and rational appraisals of the situation. But if you cut down what is said to the rational, it does happen to leave everyone arguing the pro side banned.

Since I'm not on the pro side, I'm required to notice discrimination, even if there's seemingly a good reason each time, I must look at the big picture and the trend. For example, if everyone who happened to be black was banned from a department store called Shiverman's. Each time, this high-class department store did have a valid reason. So-and-so broke the dress code. That fellow brought food in. This other one, well, he was drunk. The last one... he stole.

My actual position requires me to notice and to go beyond my own understanding that each time a rule was really and truly broken, and question the merits of this situation.

So, should I stop doing that when I'm seeing the same exact thing happen to racists? If they were black people I would think being actually discriminated against is what made them so sour. I'm not even to blame that last one for actually stealing because society set up a system that would make it inevitable, so it could punish. Must I then also at least wonder if there's a reason racists act like beaten dogs? Maybe it's because they keep getting beaten. And they growl, and then, that is used as an excuse to beat them further.

This is simply my ability to assume all perspectives simultaneously. From the perspective of the racist, he's going to be beaten [banned] anyway, so he might as well growl and bite. Is he wrong? He's no doubt experienced a lot of banning for simply stating the situation as he sees it and being as polite as he can. The other dogs require him to be in a perpetual state of being turned-over, enduring the insults and never returning them. And then of course when they're through with him they ban him anyway. So what then is the point of holding back the nasty comments? He at least gets his bite in, then, when he knows already that he's going to be bitten.

Remember that I'm not attacking the rules or the enforcement thereof. From where I sit, it all scans. But that's the problem: From where I sit. Maybe it's a problem with holding a position that I am biased and responsible for ignoring my own honest appraisal of a situation because of that inherent bias, and constructing a superior appraisal that would presumably occur if I did not possess that bias.

otseng
Savant

Post #23

Post by otseng »

Purple Knight wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:13 pm This topic does paint a very negative picture of what happens to you here when you're on the pro side of racism.
What does it mean to be on the pro-side of racism? To make uncivil comments?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by Purple Knight »

otseng wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:52 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:13 pm This topic does paint a very negative picture of what happens to you here when you're on the pro side of racism.
What does it mean to be on the pro-side of racism? To make uncivil comments?
I would say, to believe racism is morally permissible and that it should not be outlawed in society.