Reverse Audio Playback Of Bible?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Reverse Audio Playback Of Bible?

Post #1

Post by SacredBishop »

There's a Bible study group I went to that plays the Bible backward on this audio reversal software thingy. They look for hidden meanings in the scriptures that way. I told them it seems weird, but I did hear stuff in those reverse playbacks. They said Romans 10:17 " faith comes by hearing the word of Christ" and Exodus 33:23 " i will show My back", are scriptural support for this. Is it Biblical to look for messages in reverse playback Bible readings? They played the sermon of the mount backwards, and we could hear " I shine the sky of Cleveland in fire", and they said this is a prophecy about Cleveland or something. It was strange.

Savant

Re: Reverse Audio Playback Of Bible?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

SacredBishop wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:23 pm ... Is it Biblical to look for messages in reverse playback Bible readings? ...
I would say no, Bible doesn't tell that it should be done, or that there would be some message that way from God.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

SacredBishop wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:23 pmThere's a Bible study group I went to that plays the Bible backward on this audio reversal software thingy.
Fun fact, "Jesus loves you" played backwards is "we smell sausage."
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

..................................................Image

bjs1
Sage

Post #5

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to SacredBishop in post #1]

It's very strange, and as far as I can tell entirely un-biblical. I can see no reason to give it any validity.

Just to add one more level of strangeness to this: Where they listening to an English translation of the Bible? Assuming they were, and knowing that the Bible was not written in English, I would say that any this is just apophenia of sounds. Our minds try to make sense of out gibberish, even though nothing is actually there.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by SacredBishop »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:52 pm [Replying to SacredBishop in post #1]

It's very strange, and as far as I can tell entirely un-biblical. I can see no reason to give it any validity.

Just to add one more level of strangeness to this: Where they listening to an English translation of the Bible? Assuming they were, and knowing that the Bible was not written in English, I would say that any this is just apophenia of sounds. Our minds try to make sense of out gibberish, even though nothing is actually there.
Yes, its very strange. It was the kjv. I'm just curious if this is a new form of weirdo, or if its confined to that particular group I mentioned. Hopefully this doesn't become a thing.

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

[Replying to SacredBishop in post #1]

Sounds pretty dumb... unless they were playing it backwards in Hebrew or Greek readings. O:)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

SacredBishop wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:23 pm There's a Bible study group I went to that plays the Bible backward on this audio reversal software thingy. They look for hidden meanings in the scriptures that way. I told them it seems weird, but I did hear stuff in those reverse playbacks. They said Romans 10:17 " faith comes by hearing the word of Christ" and Exodus 33:23 " i will show My back", are scriptural support for this. Is it Biblical to look for messages in reverse playback Bible readings? They played the sermon of the mount backwards, and we could hear " I shine the sky of Cleveland in fire", and they said this is a prophecy about Cleveland or something. It was strange.
Well... that's something I have never heard of. Why would God set fire to Cleveland?

What gets me is we Jehovahs Witnesses visit peoples homes, offering to help them understand the bible (the right way round) free of charge... and they look at us as if we have asked them to sacrifice their firstborn. But someone was game to (I presume) leave their home, travel to a group, to listen to someone play the bible backwards! And come away with a message that Clevland is doomed and that they take seriously?!

Is it Biblical to look for messages in reverse playback Bible readings?

No.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #9

Post by SacredBishop »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:48 am
SacredBishop wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:23 pm There's a Bible study group I went to that plays the Bible backward on this audio reversal software thingy. They look for hidden meanings in the scriptures that way. I told them it seems weird, but I did hear stuff in those reverse playbacks. They said Romans 10:17 " faith comes by hearing the word of Christ" and Exodus 33:23 " i will show My back", are scriptural support for this. Is it Biblical to look for messages in reverse playback Bible readings? They played the sermon of the mount backwards, and we could hear " I shine the sky of Cleveland in fire", and they said this is a prophecy about Cleveland or something. It was strange.
Well... that's something I have never heard of. Why would God set fire to Cleveland?

What gets me is we Jehovahs Witnesses visit peoples homes, offering to help them understand the bible (the right way round) free of charge... and they look at us as if we have asked them to sacrifice their firstborn. But someone was game to (I presume) leave their home, travel to a group, to listen to someone play the bible backwards! And come away with a message that Clevland is doomed and that they take seriously?!

Is it Biblical to look for messages in reverse playback Bible readings?

No.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
, I agree, reverse playbacks are super bizarre, just curious if anybody else has heard of this.