Holy Spirit?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ross
Scholar

Holy Spirit?

Post #1

Post by Ross »

Hello, I am new to this forum and not a member of any church, or a churchgoer. I haven't been on a Bible discussion forum for many years.
I was recently asked to go on an 'Alpha course' to which I replied that I did not think there was any need for me to go on a Bible 'course' as there were no 'courses' in the time of the Apostles. This however caused me to investigate this further which revealed it is an introduction into the 'gifts' of evangelism which seems to be infiltrating most churches in recent years.
Then I watched YouTube videos which were quite shocking to me of people lying shaking on the ground in the isles of charismatic meetings as though in epileptic fits, others fainting with eyes rolling in their heads, wailing and crying, others in their 70's running on the spot and waving their arms out of control like stupid adolescents on drugs, and 'ministers' talking unintelligible Arabic sounding nonsense that they claimed was 'speaking in tongues.'
All in the name of 'Holy Spirit.' This is enough to keep me away from church with a barge pole.
Your comments would be greatly appreciated.
Is this The Holy Spirit?
Last edited by Ross on Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clownboat
Savant

Re: Holy Spirit?

Post #81

Post by Clownboat »

Ross wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:07 pm
Clownboat wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 pm Just consider how ridiculous the statement is to even utter. Demons are possessing church goers into believing they are experiencing the Holy Spirit.
I fail to believe how ridiculous the spectacle of it is to observe. Churchgoers loosing their minds and their bodies and their control.
You seem almost desperate to defend or rationalise it.
I do in fact see how ridiculous the spectacle is to observe, but as I informed you already, there is no actual lose of control of the mind or the body and certainly no angels, demons or spirits involved from my many experiences.

Imagine being a child in a prayer line with adults and others you respect having hands laid on them to then only fall to the ground (some shake, some laugh, some pray in tongues, some just lay there). Now comes your turn... do you fall as well (there are ushers there to catch you by the way)?

Careful not to project your own desperation on to others. I say this as I no longer have dog in this fight and feel no desperation to defend what I now find indefensible.
Be well...
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #82

Post by Clownboat »

Ross wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:19 pm
Clownboat wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 pm Again, take my first hand experience for what it is worth.
There are no spirits or demons involved in this all too real church exercise.
I hope this is breaking Board rules, but I would conclude the phenomenon is either:

1/ The Holy Spirit
2/ Complete and despicable man made deception
3/ Demonic or sinister spiritualistic activity
4/ A bunch of complete nut cases
You left out the one I find most credible myself (2/ got close).

5/ Self indoctrination
- People really do believe this religious stuff, so deception might not be the best word to use. Furthermore, if it is helping to instill a feeling of community in those that need such a thing, should we call it despicable?

Odd behavior to be sure, but it is a community that believes in being slain by the Holy Spirit after all, so to see such claimed actions is not a surprise as it helps to bolster belief and a feeling of belonging.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Ross
Scholar

Post #83

Post by Ross »

Ross wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:19 pm I hope this is breaking Board rules, but I would conclude the phenomenon is either:

Correction.
I meant to say 'I hope this is not breaking board rules'