Atheism VS Lake Of Freaking Fire

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Atheism VS Lake Of Freaking Fire

Post #1

Post by SacredBishop »

As Christopher Hitchens said, " whatever reasons you use to reject every other God, simply apply those same reasons to the God of the Bible " Well if I did that I'd be an atheist, but the Lake of Fire is no beuno. I'd rather go to heaven confused, then go to hell unconfused. Is eternal damnation a good reason not to be an atheist? I'm scared of Lake of Fire, and don't want to go there. Atheism has no Lake of Fire.

brunumb
Savant

Re: Atheism VS Lake Of Freaking Fire

Post #31

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:31 am I don't near fear a lake of fire as I do far right Christians voting.

With the one there's no proof it's there, with the other'n, they've captured the Supreme Court.
It's a bit scary that hundreds of millions of people can be held to ransom by a mere handful of fallible human beings complete with their personal biases and agendas.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

PolytheistWitch
Student

Post #32

Post by PolytheistWitch »

Being a Christian because you're afraid of hell makes no sense to me. The point of being a Christian is you believe Christ died for your sins therefore hell is off the table. If you're a Christian and still afraid of going to hell I have to wonder if you're really a theist. And if it really comes down to picking the god you worship based on the afterlife why not pick one from a different religion where there is no hell. Or at least not a hell where there is violent torture. I just don't understand the whole fire insurance belief thing.

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #33

Post by SacredBishop »

Some people are scared of going to hell and want to be saved from actually going there. I don't believe in hell, but if I did, if I truly did, I would believe in whatever it took to save me. Some atheists have a residual fear of hell from their upbringing in a religious home.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #34

Post by JoeyKnothead »

PolytheistWitch wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:42 pm Being a Christian because you're afraid of hell makes no sense to me. The point of being a Christian is you believe Christ died for your sins therefore hell is off the table. If you're a Christian and still afraid of going to hell I have to wonder if you're really a theist. And if it really comes down to picking the god you worship based on the afterlife why not pick one from a different religion where there is no hell. Or at least not a hell where there is violent torture. I just don't understand the whole fire insurance belief thing.
Or they're afraid of Hell because so many there might recognize em?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin