Moderator: Moderators

Runner
Banned
Banned

OBLIVION Movie - A.I. not Aliens

Post #1

Post by Runner »

SPOILER ALERT!

Obviously, there will be spoilers in this thread if you have not yet seen the Oblivion movie with Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko and Andrea Riseborou.

I found this movie to be pretty good when I saw it at the theater at the time of its release. I liked it even more each time I viewed it in the years since. But something very interesting has become evident to me as I have watched it. The trailers, and descriptions, for this movie declare it to be about aliens. The movie is described as being a setting that takes place in the future after a 3rd World War against aliens in which we lose. I couldn't help but notice that this doesn't really follow what we get at all.

The Scavs (Scavengers) are implied to be aliens in the first half of the movie or so, but then we discover that they are actually human. That leaves the Mission Control people, those who assumedly inhabit the Tet, to be the aliens. But if you pay close attention to the main lady on the screen that Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) and His (wife?) Vika (Andrea Riseborou) communicate with throughout the movie, there are many hints that she is actually a simulation. Not a real person/human. Also the (sky rigs?), that hover over the oceans and waters of the earth sucking them dry, seem to be robotic machines with no humans operating them at all. The drones are robots that are programmed to guard and protect the most important operations of this A.I. and are also run by the Tet, with Jack Harper - who we discover is a clone - as their maintenance person.

I have come to the conclusion that this movie is not about aliens at all, but actually about the world in the future after A.I. has taken over, destroyed the earth, and all mankind - save those it has chosen to clone for its purposes and to do its bidding.

That's the science. Now for the religion.

A.I. is just now arising in our world since the institution of the world wide web back in the 80's - 90's, it is a very real part of our lives today and is expected to be a huge part in the very near future. Many believe it can, will, and possibly already has begun to, take over our world entirely. What are the implications of that in a spiritual, Christian, sense and can it account for any of the end times events spoken of in Scripture?

This movie appears to be a tale about what could possibly happen in our real world in the future due to A.I. taking over everything - in the guise of yet another cliche 'aliens have landed and taken over the world' flick.

It is not about aliens at all.

Tcg
Savant

Re: OBLIVION Movie - A.I. not Aliens

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Runner in post #1]

Moderator Action

Moved to an appropriate subforum.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.