Time limit on editing old posts?

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Difflugia
Prodigy

Time limit on editing old posts?

Post #1

Post by Difflugia »

Would you consider adding a time limit to editing old comments, like a week, or even a day? Considering this is a debate site, changes to one's position in an old debate should probably be made with a new comment rather than editing old comments.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

otseng
Savant

Re: Time limit on editing old posts?

Post #2

Post by otseng »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #1]

Yes, that can be done. The setting is in minutes. What do people suggest it be set to?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

How about 4320 minutes (three days)? That should more than cover things like fixing formatting issues and typos.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Difflugia wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:57 pm How about 4320 minutes (three days)? That should more than cover things like fixing formatting issues and typos.
Done.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #5

Post by Thomas123 »

I was debating with a guy this week who was changing a post rather than starting a new post. It is like building sand castles....I think 30 minutes ,personally. They always have the ability to repost their edited post as a new post wheras in the current situation the responder is made(often,unintentionally) to look stupid. eg

Jesus was born in Nazareth.
No he wasn't
Edit: Jesus was born in Bethlehem

And I have just declared.....No he wasn't.

This editing on the move is making it impossible for online readers to follow the coherence of the thread...equates to a loss of interest. Imho

otseng
Savant

Post #6

Post by otseng »

Thomas123 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:14 am I was debating with a guy this week who was changing a post rather than starting a new post. It is like building sand castles....I think 30 minutes ,personally. They always have the ability to repost their edited post as a new post wheras in the current situation the responder is made(often,unintentionally) to look stupid. eg

Jesus was born in Nazareth.
No he wasn't
Edit: Jesus was born in Bethlehem

And I have just declared.....No he wasn't.

This editing on the move is making it impossible for online readers to follow the coherence of the thread...equates to a loss of interest. Imho
Just quote the post like what I did to your post above. It will only be editable by you, so it will capture what was written when you read it.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #7

Post by Thomas123 »

Not a bad idea, thanks. It makes for alot of duplication and very long posts that people naturally shun., otseng!

otseng
Savant

Post #8

Post by otseng »

Thomas123 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:38 am Not a bad idea, thanks. It makes for alot of duplication and very long posts that people naturally shun., otseng!
If it's short like your's, it's not an issue. If it's long, edit it and leave the parts that are relevant that you want to capture.