Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

2timothy316
Under Probation

Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

There are those that think that the King Jame Version of the Bible is the most accurate Bible translation there is. Many have placed their whole dogma on this belief. What evidence is there that it is or it is not the most accurate translation?

In the 1611 KJV Acts 12:4 says, "And when hee had apprehended him, hee put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to keepe him, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."

Here it says that people where celebrating Easter. Is this one of the errors in the KJV?
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Is the KJV the most accurate translation of the Holy Scriptures?

Post #61

Post by 2timothy316 »

[Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #60]

None of these scriptures are proof that Matthew 6:26 can't be taken exactly as it is written. There is no reason to add or take away from it. Jesus said look at the birds and see how well they are taken care of and how much more My Heavenly Father loves me than them. What else is there to explain? There is no 'dark secret' in this scripture. If there is I'd like to see you squirm trying to explain it. It is clear that we can observe the world around us for spiritual truth and these scriptures you quoted do not nullify the scriptures I quoted.

There is no 'dark secret' that we need to you explain. The Bible explains the parable. That is what 2 Timothy 3:16 means. ALL scripture is inspired and not just the ones you cherry pick.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #62

Post by Eddie Ramos »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:23 am [Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #60]

None of these scriptures are proof that Matthew 6:26 can't be taken exactly as it is written. There is no reason to add or take away from it. Jesus said look at the birds and see how well they are taken care of and how much more My Heavenly Father loves me than them. What else is there to explain? There is no 'dark secret' in this scripture. If there is I'd like to see you squirm trying to explain it. It is clear that we can observe the world around us for spiritual truth and these scriptures you quoted do not nullify the scriptures I quoted.

There is no 'dark secret' that we need to you explain. The Bible explains the parable. That is what 2 Timothy 3:16 means. ALL scripture is inspired and not just the ones you cherry pick.
Ok, well, at least I tried. At this point t we're just repeating ourselves and uts best not to. The information is there, should you choose to examine it against the scriptures and bring up any error I presented using the scriptures. Thanks for the dialogue.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #63

Post by 2timothy316 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:29 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:23 am [Replying to Eddie Ramos in post #60]

Ok, well, at least I tried. At this point t we're just repeating ourselves and uts best not to. The information is there, should you choose to examine it against the scriptures and bring up any error I presented using the scriptures. Thanks for the dialogue.
Thanks for admitting you have no argument. The error is not the scriptures, the error is that you don't trust them when you read them. But I guess you were taught to do so. Sad. When you decide when you're ready to believe what you read without the rose tinted glasses of your dogma then let's continue.

otseng
Savant

Post #64

Post by otseng »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:58 pm the error is that you don't trust them when you read them. But I guess you were taught to do so. Sad. When you decide when you're ready to believe what you read without the rose tinted glasses of your dogma then let's continue.
:warning: Moderator Final Warning

Personal attacks are not allowed on the forum.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #65

Post by MissKate13 »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #1]

I don’t believe any English translation is perfect. It’s why I use an Interlinear and lexicons.

That said, I trust the NKJV above all.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Codetalker

Post #66

Post by Codetalker »

Regarding the King James Version (KJV) of the Bible, it is a widely respected document translation with a significant historical and literary impact. However, it is not without its limitations and potential inaccuracies. Since its publication in 1611, our understanding of ancient languages, textual criticism, and biblical scholarship has advanced significantly. More recent translations benefit from access to older manuscripts and improved linguistic understanding.

The specific verse you mentioned, Acts 12:4, includes the word "Easter" in the KJV, which has raised questions and concerns among biblical scholars. The word "Easter" is derived from the Old English word "Ēastre," which refers to a pagan festival celebrating the spring equinox. This translation choice is considered by many scholars to be an error or a mistranslation.

The original Greek word used in this verse is "πάσχα" (Pascha), which is commonly translated as "Passover" in other Bible versions. The majority of scholars and translators agree that "Passover" is a more accurate rendering in this context, as the events described in Acts 12:4 occurred during the Jewish feast of Passover, not the Christian celebration of Easter.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #67

Post by onewithhim »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:59 am There are those that think that the King Jame Version of the Bible is the most accurate Bible translation there is. Many have placed their whole dogma on this belief. What evidence is there that it is or it is not the most accurate translation?

In the 1611 KJV Acts 12:4 says, "And when hee had apprehended him, hee put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to keepe him, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."

Here it says that people where celebrating Easter. Is this one of the errors in the KJV?
Yes, that is one of the errors, and there are many more.

John 1:1
John 8:58
Philippians 2:6
Romans 1:20
Hebrews 1:8
Titus 2:13
IPeter 3:18,19
Revelation 1:8

I could go on, but perhaps these suffice.