How Do I Know I'm Speaking In Tongues

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SacredBishop
Apprentice

How Do I Know I'm Speaking In Tongues

Post #1

Post by SacredBishop »

I was reading Mark 16:17 These signs will accompany those who believe: they will cast out demons and speak in tongues. Then I thought of Paul's question. Acts 19:2 Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?

I prayed this prayer: Holy God, please give me the Holy Spirit that Mark and Paul talked about. I receive by faith your Spirit and the sign of tongues, the holy sign of Your Spirit. Amen! Then I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and babbled incoherently by faith.

How do I know that I was speaking in tongues? I felt religious as I was doing it. I haven't attempted to perform an exorcism yet, but I will. I'll create a separate post for exorcism.

Miles
Savant

Re: How Do I Know I'm Speaking In Tongues

Post #2

Post by Miles »

"In 1972, William J. Samarin, a linguist from the University of Toronto, published a thorough assessment of Pentecostal glossolalia that became a classic work on its linguistic characteristics.[12] His assessment was based on a large sample of glossolalia recorded in public and private Christian meetings in Italy, the Netherlands, Jamaica, Canada, and the United States over the course of five years; his wide range of subjects included the Puerto Ricans of the Bronx, the snake handlers of the Appalachians and the spiritual Christians from Russia in Los Angeles (Pryguny, Dukh-i-zhizniki).

Samarin found that glossolalic speech does resemble human language in some respects. The speaker uses accent, rhythm, intonation and pauses to break up the speech into distinct units. Each unit is itself made up of syllables, the syllables being formed from consonants and vowels found in a language known to the speaker:

It is verbal behaviour that consists of using a certain number of consonants and vowels ... in a limited number of syllables that in turn are organized into larger units that are taken apart and rearranged pseudogrammatically ... with variations in pitch, volume, speed and intensity.[13]

[Glossolalia] consists of strings of syllables, made up of sounds taken from all those that the speaker knows, put together more or less haphazardly but emerging nevertheless as word-like and sentence-like units because of realistic, language-like rhythm and melody.[14]

That the sounds are taken from the set of sounds already known to the speaker is confirmed by others. Felicitas Goodman, a psychological anthropologist and linguist, also found that the speech of glossolalists reflected the patterns of speech of the speaker's native language.[15] These findings were confirmed by Kavan (2004).[16]

Samarin found that the resemblance to human language was merely on the surface and so concluded that glossolalia is "only a facade of language".[17] He reached this conclusion because the syllable string did not form words, the stream of speech was not internally organized, and – most importantly of all – there was no systematic relationship between units of speech and concepts. Humans use language to communicate but glossolalia does not. Therefore, he concluded that glossolalia is not "a specimen of human language because it is neither internally organized nor systematically related to the world man perceives".[17] On the basis of his linguistic analysis, Samarin defined Pentecostal glossolalia as "meaningless but phonologically structured human utterance, believed by the speaker to be a real language but bearing no systematic resemblance to any natural language, living or dead".[18]

Felicitas Goodman studied a number of Pentecostal communities in the United States, the Caribbean, and Mexico; these included English-, Spanish- and Mayan-speaking groups. She compared what she found with recordings of non-Christian rituals from Africa, Borneo, Indonesia and Japan. She took into account both the segmental structure (such as sounds, syllables, phrases) and the supra-segmental elements (rhythm, accent, intonation) and concluded that there was no distinction between what was practised by the Pentecostal Protestants and the followers of other religions.[19]
Source: Wikipedia

So if you're uttering internally unorganized streams of speech that have no systematic relationship between units of human speech and concepts, all bearing no systematic resemblance to any natural language, living or dead, then I guess you can say you're speaking in tongues. To what avail, however, remains another question. I mean, what is the value of incoherent babbling?

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by SacredBishop »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]

I believe my ability to speak in tongues is a sign from Jesus that I'm saved. I recorded my utterances and here's a brief transcript: Falag shoon falag plub kreshtash jeedlik falag FALAG I don't know what it means, but I know it means I'm saved. I felt religious as I was doing it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:34 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2]

I believe my ability to speak in tongues is a sign from Jesus that I'm saved. I recorded my utterances and here's a brief transcript: Falag shoon falag plub kreshtash jeedlik falag FALAG I don't know what it means, but I know it means I'm saved. I felt religious as I was doing it.
If your criterion for determining truth is that you "felt religious as you were doing it" then you have your answer already. Speaking in tongues as the way you've described it is astonishingly easy to accomplish. If you compare your description to Acts chapter 2, then you've missed the mark. Acts 2 describes folks speaking in languages which are not their native language. Not Falag falag falag FALAG.

You've mentioned elsewhere your desire to perform an exorcism. That too is astonishingly easy to perform unless one can prove that the patient was truly possessed by a demon. If you ever get around to raising folks from the dead let me know. That would be truly impressive besides which, I have a beloved late granddad I'd love to spend more time with.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by SacredBishop »

Tcg wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:50 am

If your criterion for determining truth is that you "felt religious as you were doing it" then you have your answer already. Speaking in tongues as the way you've described it is astonishingly easy to accomplish. If you compare your description to Acts chapter 2, then you've missed the mark. Acts 2 describes folks speaking in languages which are not their native language. Not Falag falag falag FALAG.

You've mentioned elsewhere your desire to perform an exorcism. That too is astonishingly easy to perform unless one can prove that the patient was truly possessed by a demon. If you ever get around to raising folks from the dead let me know. That would be truly impressive besides which, I have a beloved late granddad I'd love to spend more time with.

Tcg
My apologies sir. I was rather harsh on you in a separate topic. Here, you have a personality and humor as well. I'll assume I was vague in the other post. Perhaps, I was possessed.
On any event, yes, I speak in tongues and perform exorcisms. Soon I will attempt the snakes and deadly drinks of Mark 16:18. I will exhibit all signs of salvation. :P

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

SacredBishop wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:48 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:50 am

Tcg
My apologies sir. I was rather harsh on you in a separate topic. Here, you have a personality and humor as well. I'll assume I was vague in the other post. Perhaps, I was possessed.
On any event, yes, I speak in tongues and perform exorcisms. Soon I will attempt the snakes and deadly drinks of Mark 16:18. I will exhibit all signs of salvation. :P
When did you perform exorcisms, and can you verify that any demons were involved in the proceedings?

I'd suggest you avoid snake handling. There isn't a great life expectancy in that practice:

When do you plan on raising folks from the dead?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:53 am ...How do I know that I was speaking in tongues?...
In Bible it meant foreign people heard the message in their own language. If no one heard or understood what you said, perhaps you were doing it wrongly. :D

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Eloi »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:53 am I was reading Mark 16:17 These signs will accompany those who believe: they will cast out demons and speak in tongues. Then I thought of Paul's question. Acts 19:2 Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?

I prayed this prayer: Holy God, please give me the Holy Spirit that Mark and Paul talked about. I receive by faith your Spirit and the sign of tongues, the holy sign of Your Spirit. Amen! Then I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and babbled incoherently by faith.

How do I know that I was speaking in tongues? I felt religious as I was doing it. I haven't attempted to perform an exorcism yet, but I will. I'll create a separate post for exorcism.
Do you think it is God's intention for you to acquire the power of the anointed ones of the first century?

The gifts of the spirit in the first century were given to confirm to the world that the followers of Christ were the genuine chosen community of worshipers of the true and living God, not to boast that as individuals they had more power than the rest of humans.

The community of true worshipers of the same God of the first century Christians, can currently be recognized by different ways that are already established in the NT: love among its members, separation from the world, worshiping the Father, preaching good news of the kingdom, their high biblical principles, their beliefs based only on biblical teachings, ... Are you striving to show that you belong to the group that demonstrates God's support today?

The Devil can make his servants (even if they appear to be worshipers of God) perform powerful works and deceive many... so that way of showing the world that you have divine support no longer applies.

TheHolyGhost
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by TheHolyGhost »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:53 am I was reading Mark 16:17 These signs will accompany those who believe: they will cast out demons and speak in tongues. Then I thought of Paul's question. Acts 19:2 Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?

Now this is funny. Next you are going to be believing you are born again of God.
All the while committing sin every day all day long.