Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Post #1

Post by SacredBishop »

I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.

Joseph Smith or Joseph Rutherford? They were both extremely intelligent men, and certainly well respected by their peers. I know every other Christian denomination is horribly wrong, and full of heresies. Help me decide. Which religion is correct?

I believe the Bible predicted the church would be restored to glory in the 1800s in America. Both religions originated in the 1800s, thus my dilemma.
Last edited by SacredBishop on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ross
Scholar

Re: Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Post #41

Post by Ross »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:37 am

What the bible prophecied was a restauration of the true church after a long period of spiritual darkness. This would be after the establishment of Gods kingdom in 1914.
Where does the Bible say this please?
I am assuming you mean restoration, rather than restauration as in a restaurant of spiritual food?

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #42

Post by SacredBishop »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #38]

You are correct. I looked it up and the Tetragrammaton is considered unknown in JehovahsWitness beliefs. Jehovah is used for its familiarity as you said. I must say, of all Christians on this site, you are the most thorough and articulate :approve: :approve: :approve:

Ross
Scholar

Post #43

Post by Ross »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:18 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #38]

You are correct. I looked it up and the Tetragrammaton is considered unknown in JehovahsWitness beliefs. Jehovah is used for its familiarity as you said. I must say, of all Christians on this site, you are the most thorough and articulate :approve: :approve: :approve:
The Jehovah's Witnesses are obliged to all believe exactly the same as each other, with the threat of excommunication for any diversion from this. Every verse in the Bible has been analysed and commented on over a hundred years or so by generations of their theologians and the conclusions recorded, together with any and all argumentation against such beliefs. When one asks them a question, you are getting this information relayed. They have never individually worked anything out in their own minds. It is all accepted mind programming. This is why it appears so thorough and articulate.

Miles
Savant

Post #44

Post by Miles »

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:37 pm
SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:18 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #38]

The Jehovah's Witnesses are obliged to all believe exactly the same as each other, with the threat of excommunication for any diversion from this. Every verse in the Bible has been analysed and commented on over a hundred years or so by generations of their theologians and the conclusions recorded, together with any and all argumentation against such beliefs. When one asks them a question, you are getting this information relayed. They have never individually worked anything out in their own minds. It is all accepted mind programming. This is why it appears so thorough and articulate.
Evidently this is why I sometimes get very screwy, irrelevant responses from them. On size does not fit all.

Tcg
Savant

Post #45

Post by Tcg »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:46 am [Replying to Tcg in post #33]
Depends on what the Mormons say. I'm still waiting for them to weigh in. Perhaps, Mormons pronounce the Tetragrammaton differently. I'm assuming JehovahsWitnesses would say the Jews were wrong about Jesus, so maybe they're wrong about the Tetragrammaton too. I need both sides.
You need the Mormons to weigh in before you can decide whether or not the JWs are right about the Jews being wrong about their own language? I don't see the relevance.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #46

Post by JehovahsWitness »

@ ROSS, thank you for pointing out the spelling error (duly corrected).

Re: 1914 I dont know if you are familiar with the concept of time prophecies, but there are a number of prophecies in the bible that enable readers to calculate specific years connected to future biblical events. The year itself does not appear but its like a map with specific "landmarks" which lead to identify a year in advance. See links (GENTILE TIMES) below for further details (basic maths required).

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LAST DAYS and ...THE GENTILE TIMES and ....1914

GLOSSARY OF TERMS [END TIMES]
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #47

IS IT ACADEMICALLY RECOGNISED THAT THE ORIGINAL PRONUNCIATION OF THE TETRATRAMMATON HAS BEEN LOST?

Author David John Alfred Clines, biblical scholar
With the Temple being destroyed and the prohibition on pronouncing The Name outside of the Temple in force, the pronunciation of the Name fell into disuse. Scholars passed down knowledge of the correct pronunciation of YHVH for many generations, but eventually it was lost in common usage - https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hebrew_ ... me/History
Because the original Hebrew texts only included consonants, the correct pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton may have been lost. - hNew World Encyclopedia
To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE DIVINE NAME , PRONUNCIATION and ...NWT

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #48

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:37 pmThey [Jehovahs witnesses] have never individually worked anything out in their own minds. It is all accepted mind programming. ...
I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I can assure you that your statement is not true for myself. And unless you are employing your own mind-reading skills, I do belive your blanket statement you cannot prove otherwise.

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:37 pm...This is why it appears so thorough and articulate.
When I quote someone else's words, I do so using "< --quotation marks --> " and try always to include a source, otherwise, all the words you read in my posts are my own. If my posts do appear " thorough and articulate" I can but thank you for the compliment and Mr Clegg my high school English teacher that instilled in me a love of good writing in the first place.(Although he'd be spinning in his grave because I still can't spell worth a dime)

Ross wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:37 pmEvery verse in the Bible has been analysed and commented on over a hundred years or so by generations of their theologians and the conclusions recorded, together with any and all argumentation against such beliefs. ...
Yes, what you've outlined are the basic principles upon which "acedemia" is built (or it was before google). Whether one is studying poetry, brain surgery or how to dance the watusi research involves accessing the cumulative body of knowledge, commentaries and observations in any given field. What one does with that knowledged is called education.

Generally not considered a bad thing.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #49

Post by kjw47 »

SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.

Joseph Smith or Joseph Rutherford? They were both extremely intelligent men, and certainly well respected by their peers. I know every other Christian denomination is horribly wrong, and full of heresies. Help me decide. Which religion is correct?

I believe the Bible predicted the church would be restored to glory in the 1800s in America. Both religions originated in the 1800s, thus my dilemma.

C.T.Russell was the only man on earth that saw the prophecy from Daniel of Rev 6:1 ( establishment of Gods kingdom in heaven with Jesus ruling) occurring in 1914. The prophecy was-From the removal of the last king(destruction of Jerusalem) in 607 bce 2520 years=1914. He saw that in 1879 and said-Peace will be taken from the earth in 1914( Rev 6:4)--He thought it was Rev 19:11-14 but it was actually the war in heavens start. Satan and his angels lost and were cast to the earth. He came angry, knowing his time was short. He filled mens hearts with hatred-ww1-millions upon millions slaughtered, the other 3 riders rode as well. After ww1, between 50-100 million died just from the spanish flu, many more died of other things mentioned of those 3 riders. C.T.Russell started the bible students-these became the Jehovah witnesses.

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #50

Post by SacredBishop »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:40 pm IS IT ACADEMICALLY RECOGNISED THAT THE ORIGINAL PRONUNCIATION OF THE TETRATRAMMATON HAS BEEN LOST?

Author David John Alfred Clines, biblical scholar
With the Temple being destroyed and the prohibition on pronouncing The Name outside of the Temple in force, the pronunciation of the Name fell into disuse. Scholars passed down knowledge of the correct pronunciation of YHVH for many generations, but eventually it was lost in common usage - https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hebrew_ ... me/History
Because the original Hebrew texts only included consonants, the correct pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton may have been lost. - hNew World Encyclopedia
To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE DIVINE NAME , PRONUNCIATION and ...NWT
Its believed some Kohen ( priests) have preserved the pronunciation. I saw a documentary about it. I can't remember the name. Anyway, the name is believed to be preserved by a few priests. Aside note, Josephus said the Tetragrammaton is four syllables. Google it. If it is four syllables everybody was wrong. Yehavahu I guess. :D