Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Post #1

Post by SacredBishop »

I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.

Joseph Smith or Joseph Rutherford? They were both extremely intelligent men, and certainly well respected by their peers. I know every other Christian denomination is horribly wrong, and full of heresies. Help me decide. Which religion is correct?

I believe the Bible predicted the church would be restored to glory in the 1800s in America. Both religions originated in the 1800s, thus my dilemma.
Last edited by SacredBishop on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Post #51

Post by JehovahsWitness »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:17 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:40 pm IS IT ACADEMICALLY RECOGNISED THAT THE ORIGINAL PRONUNCIATION OF THE TETRATRAMMATON HAS BEEN LOST?

Author David John Alfred Clines, biblical scholar
With the Temple being destroyed and the prohibition on pronouncing The Name outside of the Temple in force, the pronunciation of the Name fell into disuse. Scholars passed down knowledge of the correct pronunciation of YHVH for many generations, but eventually it was lost in common usage - https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Hebrew_ ... me/History
Because the original Hebrew texts only included consonants, the correct pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton may have been lost. - hNew World Encyclopedia
To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE DIVINE NAME , PRONUNCIATION and ...NWT
Its believed some Kohen ( priests) have preserved the pronunciation. I saw a documentary about it. I can't remember the name ...

Good for them. If the controversy was settled however, I doubt there would still be thousands of internet pages debating the question. Either way, as I said , Jehovah's Witnesses have no poney in that particular race because as I said, we don't hold that pronunciation is the most important consideration.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #52

Post by Shem Yoshi »

SacredBishop wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:11 pm The archeological evidence for the Book of Mormon is also impressive.
What do you find impressive about the archaeological evidence of the BoM?
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #53

Post by SacredBishop »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:54 pm
SacredBishop wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:11 pm The archeological evidence for the Book of Mormon is also impressive.
What do you find impressive about the archaeological evidence of the BoM?
They proved that the Aztecs destroyed all evidence of the BoM civilizations that lived here. The Aztecs destroyed them with such complete and utter destruction that nothing remains of them. :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #54

Post by SacredBishop »

In fact, we're it not for the BoM we wouldn't have even known those civilizations existed

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #55

Post by Shem Yoshi »

[Replying to SacredBishop in post #54]

The Book of Mormon tells us of entire Jewish civilizations in the America's... That the Aztec (Laminites) come from the same family and the Nephites, both Hebrew... There is no evidence for that... There isnt a single shred of evidence of any Hebrew thing being in america pre-Columbus.

According to the BoM, their entire civilization was of Jewish founding, all their learning was of Judaism. But not a single Jewish letter exists anywhere in central america, not to mention the Axtecs would have come from Judaism, their language, their knowledge, etc... But there is no evidence of that.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #56

Post by Shem Yoshi »

I mean we are NOT talking of Judaism coming to Central America and some Native tribe with their own customs and languages wiped them out. We are talking about Judaism founding the tribes of Central America. That would mean the Axtec language itself would have evolved from Hebrew...

But there is no evidence of that... In fact they didnt even have a writing system... When Europe came to the America's, the Aztec were in the beginning stages of founding writing, Proto-hieroglyphic... They werew using pictures to describe things, not even an alphabet yet...

Yet we are suppose to believe the Hebrews founded them, and somehow documentation of all the wars and their civilizations, made it all the way up to Joseph Smith. The only person to see it, and magically interpreted it, and then angels took it to heaven.
Last edited by Shem Yoshi on Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Post #57

Post by SacredBishop »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:22 pm I mean we are NOT talking of Judaism coming to Central America and some Native tribe with their own customs and languages wiped them out. We are talking about Judaism founding the tribes of Central America. That would mean the Axtec language itself would have evolved from Hebrew...

But there is no evidence of that... In fact they didnt even have a writing system... When Europe came to the America's, the Aztec were in the beginning stages of founding writing, Proto-hieroglyphic... They werew using pictures to describe things, not even an alphabet yet...

Yet we are suppose to believe the Hebrews founded them, and somehow documentation of all the wars and their civilizations, made it all the way up to Joseph Smith.
OK, I lost my faith in Mormonism. Are you happy? You defeated me and now I lost my faith :( . I might try Charismatic nondenominational Kjv onlyism.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #58

Post by Shem Yoshi »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:40 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:22 pm I mean we are NOT talking of Judaism coming to Central America and some Native tribe with their own customs and languages wiped them out. We are talking about Judaism founding the tribes of Central America. That would mean the Axtec language itself would have evolved from Hebrew...

Yet we are suppose to believe the Hebrews founded them, and somehow documentation of all the wars and their civilizations, made it all the way up to Joseph Smith.
OK, I lost my faith in Mormonism. Are you happy? You defeated me and now I lost my faith :( . I might try Charismatic nondenominational Kjv onlyism.
Well you brought up archaeological evidence, and it was the lack of archaeological evidence that struck me.

If you want me honest opinion about Mormonism, i think the Book of Mormon is a great read, and it still bewilders me how Joseph Smith, a very young man could have created it. I still am perplexed of how the BoM could have come into existence. Perhaps he was a prophet, idk... Doctrine and Covenants section 87 prophesied the civil war very accurately, many years before it happen. In fact Joseph Smith was dead by the time the Civil War started... I have no idea how section 87 could be so precise in prophecy...

If you havent read the BoM, i would suggest doing that, it is a good read, very much easier to read then the Bible, its more of in our own language and understanding. Dont bother with the entire Doctrine and Covenants unless you want to come a Mormon....

Faith is one things, and Mormonism teaches faith.

But Joseph smith also started to teach people he would become a god of a planet, and he then started saying other people could be a god too... Which i find very concerning... And when he had an extra marital affair he started to teach it was ok, and so polygamy started. Also concerning

Ross
Scholar

Post #59

Post by Ross »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:01 pm
Ross wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:37 pmThey [Jehovahs witnesses] have never individually worked anything out in their own minds. It is all accepted mind programming. ...
I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and I can assure you that your statement is not true for myself. And unless you are employing your own mind-reading skills, I do belive your blanket statement you cannot prove otherwise.
Ross wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:37 pm...This is why it appears so thorough and articulate.
Do you then have any beliefs that are not exactly in line with the major doctrinal theology of this movement? Do you disagree with anything the Governing body demands as 'truth?'
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:01 pm When I quote someone else's words, I do so using "< --quotation marks --> " and try always to include a source, otherwise, all the words you read in my posts are my own.
Of course most JW's do not necessarily relay word for word what is out of Watchtower books. They put it in their own language. This is known as paraphrase. But the message is still generally exact.
I accept your previous comments about reaching your conclusions about the book of John before you joined, and there are always exceptions to every rule.

But surely you must agree with my words above. In fact your faith prides itself on having 'one mind?' One doctrine of beliefs that must be obeyed from your Governing Body.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #60

Post by JehovahsWitness »

SacredBishop wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:17 pmAside note, Josephus said the Tetragrammaton is four syllables. Google it. If it is four syllables everybody was wrong.
Yes there are all kinds of theories as to the pronunciation of the tetragrammaton, I cannot say I am familiar with a four syllable theory but certain linguists certainly propose more than two. In the end obviously most people dont get hung up on the number of syllables since the English "JESUS" is definitely at least one syllable short on the Hebrew Ye-hosh-u-a/ Ye-ho-shua

JW

FURTHER READING https://brightmorningstar.org/ineffable-name/

BOOK LIST: See George Wesley Buchanan; "How God's Name Was Pronounced", Biblical Archaeology Review Mar./Apr. 1995 Volume 21 Number 2; page 30. Harris, Archer, Waltke; "Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament" #484. James Trimm; "Nazarenes and the Name of YHWH," and "In Fame Only? A Historical Record of the Divine Name," by Gerard Gertoux
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8