How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

From the On the Bible being inerrant thread:
nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 amHow can you trust something that's written about god that contradictory, contains errors and just plain wrong at times? Is there a logical way to do so, or do you just want it to be god's word so much that you overlook these things like happens so often through the history of christianity?
otseng wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 am The Bible can still be God's word, inspired, authoritative, and trustworthy without the need to believe in inerrancy.
For debate:
How can the Bible be considered authoritative and inspired without the need to believe in the doctrine of inerrancy?

While debating, do not simply state verses to say the Bible is inspired or trustworthy.

----------

Thread Milestones

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1791

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Thomas123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 pm ...
You were playing tennis with JK, when I entered this, whatever it is.
I'm glad you said that, because it felt like I was serving, and there was nobody there returning.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

otseng
Savant

Post #1792

Post by otseng »

Thomas123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:55 pm You were playing tennis with JK, when I entered this, whatever it is. The TS has nothing to do with the Bible,even the Pope knows that. As for your other 'artifact'....maybe run with that.'
Respectfully Thanks!
Thomas123 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:58 pm What is it about the TS that makes it related to the Bible. Tell us!
I maintain the TS is evidence of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ when he was buried in the tomb.

Do I need to show you in the Bible all the passages related to this claim?

otseng
Savant

Post #1793

Post by otseng »

Diogenes wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:09 pm Are you claiming 1260 to 1390 CE somehow disputes what I wrote that it's dated to about 1300 CE?
Of course not, why would you say that? 1300 is between 1260 and 1390 and I'm simply using shorthand to refer to that date range.
The main point is that it is WAY off from the 30 CE required to prove its authenticity.
Of course.
After ten years or so of wrangling about how to take the samples and how many of which labs to send them to, the Carbon 14 dating put the shroud at circa 1300 CE. End of story. It's a fake, even without going into the data that indicates it's a drawing, not an impression.
OK, let's run with C-14 dating is correct (which of course I will dispute later) and the shroud is medieval. It actually doesn't prove it's a fake nor a drawing. At the most, all it demonstrates is there is a high probability it is medieval.

Since you say it's a drawing, please provide the evidence it's a drawing.
Then, since no serious scholar doubted the reliability of the Carbon dating methods,
Actually there are many serious shroud scholars who have been studying it for decades that doubt the reliability of the C-14 dating.
This was all done because the believers could not accept the truth, it is a fake. No fallacious arguments or mockery needed. Why are you so set on trying to authenticate this relic, despite the evidence? It's not like your faith is based upon a piece of cloth.
No, my faith is not dependent on the cloth. As a matter of fact, nobody's faith is dependent on the cloth.

The C-14 is only one line of evidence. Whatever explanation is proposed should best explain all the facts. And the C-14 evidence does not do that nor simply claiming it's a fake.

Now, I grant the C-14 dating is a major conundrum if the dating is valid. But, all the properties of the TS are a conundrum. If you demand I explain the C-14 conundrum, then you must likewise be willing to explain all the conundrums I've brought up so far (and I'll be presenting more later). So, if you charge I'm dismissing the C-14 dating, then I can likewise charge you of dismissing all the other evidence I've presented so far.
Why not settle for what the Roman Catholic church does and say:
In a carefully worded announcement, the Archbishop of Turin says that the Pope "confirms the devotion to the shroud that millions of pilgrims recognise as a sign of the mystery of the passion and death of the Lord".

You'll notice that this says nothing about its authenticity. The Catholic Church takes no official position on that, stating only that it is a matter for scientific investigation. Ever since radiocarbon dating in 1989 proclaimed the 14ft by 4ft piece of linen to be roughly 700 years old, the Church has avoided claiming that it is anything more than an "icon" of Christian devotion.
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33164668
Of course. Where did I say the RCC said the TS is authentic? Would you accept their testimony if they said it was genuine?
Since it's acknowledged a real body was involved...
What?! Where did you come up with that?
Through the debate that has been occurring in this thread with Joey. Since you have to ask this, it's obvious you have not read through anything else I've posted in this thread regarding the TS. You'll need to start in post 1599. Since you're jumping into the middle of the debate, and if you want to counter any of my claims I've made so far on the TS, then you'll need read through my arguments I've made so far. I'm not going to rehash my lengthy arguments.
The scientific consensus is the opposite.
There is no scientific consensus on the TS. Who claims there is any scientific consensus on the TS?
In 1389, the bishop of Troyes sent a memorial to Antipope Clement VII, declaring that the cloth had been "artificially painted in an ingenious way" and that "it was also proved by the artist who had painted it that it was made by human work, not miraculously produced". In 1390, Clement VII consequently issued four papal bulls, with which he allowed the exposition, but ordered to "say aloud, to put an end to all fraud, that the aforementioned representation is not the true Shroud of Our Lord Jesus Christ, but a painting or panel made to represent or imitate the Shroud "
I just spent many pages discussing the D'Arcis memo. Please respond to those posts and provide counter-evidence to my arguments.
The analysis of a crucified Roman, discovered near Venice in 2007, shows heel wounds that are consistent with those found on Jehohanan but which are not consistent with wounds depicted on the shroud. Also, neither of the crucifixion victims known to archaeology shows evidence of wrist wounds.
I've talked about this as well already. Please provide counter-argument and evidence to what I already said about it.
Joe Nickell in 1983, and Gregory S. Paul in 2010, separately state that the proportions of the image are not realistic. Paul stated that the face and proportions of the shroud image are impossible, that the figure cannot represent that of an actual person and that the posture was inconsistent.
I've also talked about image distortions.
In 2018, an experimental Bloodstain Pattern Analysis (BPA) was performed to study the behaviour of blood flows from the wounds of a crucified person, and to compare this to the evidence on the Turin Shroud.
This I have not talked about yet. Talking about the blood is another huge area. We'll have to get to that next after the C-14.
As Raymond E. Brown noticed, it is impossible for a corpse lying prostrate to cover his own genitals.
I've also explained this already.

otseng
Savant

Post #1794

Post by otseng »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:49 pm
I'm glad you said that, because it felt like I was serving, and there was nobody there returning.
Well, we need to playing on the same court if you want to serve to me.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #1795

Post by JoeyKnothead »

otseng wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:23 am ...
Whatever explanation is proposed should best explain all the facts.
1. No human / god hyrids have ever been shown to produce viable offspring.
2. The blood on the shroud has not been shown to belong to the human / god hybrid in question.
3. The image on the shroud has not been shown to belong to the humn / god hybrid in question.

These facts need no explanation.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #1796

Post by JoeyKnothead »

otseng wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:25 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:49 pm
Well, we need to be playing on the same court if you want to serve to me.
I'm well aware you only wanna play on your court, with your preferred "skeptic arguments", where facts are considered by you to be "silly claims", "irrelevant", and all manner of anything other'n the facts they are.

1. A human / god hybrid has never been shown to produce viable offspring.
2. The blood on the shroud has never been shown to belong to the human / god hybrid in question.
3. The image on the shroud has never been shown to belong to the human / god hybrid in question.

Try to return that serve!
-Punkinhead Martin

otseng
Savant

Post #1797

Post by otseng »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:34 am Try to return that serve!
Again, we're playing on different courts. I'm playing on the advanced level where serious debates occur. If you want to join, please do. But don't expect me to play on the kiddie courts.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #1798

Post by Thomas123 »

otseng: 'I maintain the TS is evidence of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ when he was buried in the tomb.

Do I need to show you in the Bible all the passages related to this claim?

Thomas123: Good on you,otseng,....attack being the best of defense and all that. No thanks for the passages , I think I have that covered.

''I maintain the TS is evidence of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ when he was buried in the tomb.'

Sure it is. I'm on otseng's side now. I've switched sides....just tell me what our rational is for proceeding with our 'hypothesis', o. Is it that they can't prove it's not? I love ancient artifacts, ..they are the best sort, ...much more reliable than weeping statues. I've been victorious with less.

Let osteng speak on this ,please!

Again:
'I maintain the TS is evidence of the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ when he was buried in the tomb.'

Thomas123
Sage

Post #1799

Post by Thomas123 »

otseng: Post 14
'One major barrier I believe is the temptation to idolize the Bible. The Bible is not God. It's not something to be worshiped or idolized. The purpose of the Bible is to lead us to God, it is not God itself. In a sense, I believe we have mythologized the Bible to be beyond what it actually is.'

Thomas123
You were stretching the doctrinal parameters of your faith here, o, (I assume)and I commend you for it. Why not get back on point , drop the TS as a ' nonstarter ', and continue with reasonable argument against literalism.
Thanks!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #1800

Post by JoeyKnothead »

otseng wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:39 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:34 am Try to return that serve!
Again, we're playing on different courts. I'm playing on the advanced level where serious debates occur. If you want to join, please do. But don't expect me to play on the kiddie courts.
There ya go, imply I'm a "kiddie" instead of confronting the facts...

1. No human / god hybrids have ever been shown to produce viable offspring.
2. The blood on the shroud has never been shown to belong to the human / god hybrid I'm question.
3. The image on the shroud has never been shown to belong to the human / god hybrid in question.

I absolutely reject any implication my debate here is not serious, especially as all you can do, all you've ever done when I present em is to 'debate' anything but these facts.

Got told this bit I'm typing over was out of bounds, so edited over it.
-Punkinhead Martin