Did Christianity lose its way?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Did Christianity lose its way?

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

The Abrahamic God explained how success could be won by keeping exactly to his laws, his way.
But as the Israelites fell away from these so the prophets came to restore order.
In Isaiah's time the land was corrupted and lawless and he called a restoration of law and order.
When the Baptist came his appearance was answering Isaiah's call.
When Jesus appeared he called for a return of the law but without the need for all those priesthood backhanders within the system of sacrifices.

So where did Christianity get all it's amazing ideas from......... ?

Here are just a small selection of verses from the bible to show a continuous message......... the laws............which Christianity then mangled, in my opinion.

GENESIS {18:19} For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

EXODUS{18:19} Hearken now unto my voice, I will give thee counsel, and God shall be with thee: Be thou for the people to God-ward, that thou mayest bring the causes unto God: {18:20} And thou shalt teach them ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.

LEVITCUS {20:22} Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out. {20:23} And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them. {20:24} But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I [am] the LORD your God, which have separated you from [other] people.

DEUTERONOMY {5:33} Ye shall walk in all the ways which the LORD your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and [that it may be] well with you, and [that] ye may prolong [your] days in the land which ye shall possess. {6:1} Now these [are] the commandments, the statutes, and the judgments,

SAMUEL {22:22} For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. {22:23} For all his judgments [were] before me: and [as for] his statutes,

PSALMS {18:21} For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. {18:22} For all his judgments [were] before me, and I did not put away his statutes from me.

ISAIAH {40:3} The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God. {40:4} Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:

Matthew {3:3} For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mark {1:3} The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight. {1:4} John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luke {3:4} As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Matthew {11:12} And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force. {11:13} For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John. {11:14} And if ye will receive [it,] this is Elias, which was for to come. {11:15} He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

Matthew {5:17} Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. {5:18} For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. {5:19} Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever
shall do and teach [them,] the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew {21:32} For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it,] repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Matthew {7:12} Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Thomas123
Sage

Re: Did Christianity lose its way?

Post #2

Post by Thomas123 »

oldbadger: 'The Abrahamic God explained how success could be won by keeping exactly to his laws, his way.

Thomas123
Where did the Abrahamic God of Genesis 1 come from?

PolytheistWitch
Student

Post #3

Post by PolytheistWitch »

Christianity is a misnomer. The Bible teaches the rules set by Paul. The Trinity and Hell concepts are based in Roman polytheism. There is certainly no ties to the Old Testament other than the main characters were once practicing Jews. And we haven't even touched Catholicism.

Thomas123
Sage

Post #4

Post by Thomas123 »

PolytheistWitch
Christianity is a misnomer.
Not by the definition

The Bible teaches the rules set by Paul.
Not exclusively to a degree that's relevant.

The Trinity and Hell concepts are based in Roman polytheism.
No they are not.

There is certainly no ties to the Old Testament other than the main characters were once practicing Jews.
Yes there are.

And we haven't even touched Catholicism.
Can't wait!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

oldbadger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:31 am So where did Christianity get all it's amazing ideas from......... ?
You havent said which specific "amazing ideas" you are refering to, but I would say Christianity get all it's amazing ideas from one Jesus of Nazareth.

JW

To read more please go to other posts related to...

JESUS CHRIST, CHRISTIANITY and ...RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

oldbadger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:31 am When Jesus appeared he called for a return of the law but without the need for all those priesthood backhanders within the system of sacrifices.
I dont know what you mean by "backhanders" but the Jewish temple based system was based on an Aaronic priesthood offering animal sacrifices and any call for the abolishion of the priesthood would have been a call for a violation of the Mosaic law and opened Jesus up justifiably accusations of APOSTACY.

Jesus did no such thing,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Clownboat
Savant

Post #7

Post by Clownboat »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:53 am
oldbadger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:31 am When Jesus appeared he called for a return of the law but without the need for all those priesthood backhanders within the system of sacrifices.
I dont know what you mean by "backhanders" but the Jewish temple based system was based on an Aaronic priesthood offering animal sacrifices and any call for the abolishion of the priesthood would have been a call for a violation of the Mosaic law and opened Jesus up justifiably accusations of APOSTACY.

Jesus did no such thing,

JW
Why do you think there was such desire for blood from the gods of old?
Were the Inca and Aztec (to name a couple) on to something, or just the Hebrews and Christians?

The gods needing to be worshipped and needing/desiring blood seems ungodly to me anyway. What's your take on this need/desire for blood from the gods?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

oldbadger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:31 am Did Christianity lose its way?
Well, if nothing else it certainly seems to have lost its grip, and I must say, this is a remarkable plummet it's experiencing. Personally, I think Christianity's heyday is over, and will forever more be an "also-ran" religion, fighting for the pocketbooks of the "Nones," right alongside the Jews and the up and coming Muslims.

.................. Image

With the Religiously Unaffiliated (the Nones) rising by a remarkable 52% in just seven years.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #9

Post by oldbadger »

Thomas123 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:51 am oldbadger: 'The Abrahamic God explained how success could be won by keeping exactly to his laws, his way.

Thomas123
Where did the Abrahamic God of Genesis 1 come from?
No idea. But I'll tell you a secret. I think that men figured out and wrote those laws which worked brilliantly until they started to get ignored, and then things fell apart, hence the calls for their return, all the way to Jesus. And then the authors of G-John and Paul and others figured out something entirely different. And Christianity lost its way.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #10

Post by oldbadger »

PolytheistWitch wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:20 am Christianity is a misnomer. The Bible teaches the rules set by Paul. The Trinity and Hell concepts are based in Roman polytheism. There is certainly no ties to the Old Testament other than the main characters were once practicing Jews. And we haven't even touched Catholicism.
Fair enough. And the old laws all got swept away........ and the messages of the prophets and Jesus were lost.
And certainly it was the Jews who practicised these laws, they were nothing to do with the gentiles although there would have been places where they touched.

Can anybody tell me what verses were kept within those little containers on Jewish door frames? I think that they were probably laws.