Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SacredBishop
Apprentice

Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Post #1

Post by SacredBishop »

I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.

Joseph Smith or Joseph Rutherford? They were both extremely intelligent men, and certainly well respected by their peers. I know every other Christian denomination is horribly wrong, and full of heresies. Help me decide. Which religion is correct?

I believe the Bible predicted the church would be restored to glory in the 1800s in America. Both religions originated in the 1800s, thus my dilemma.
Last edited by SacredBishop on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POI
Prodigy

Re: Mormon Or Jehovah's Witness?

Post #61

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:25 am You'll find that JWs are more serious about helping people learn about God. For example, there are no Mormons on this site and I doubt if you will ever receieve a reply to this post from an active Mormon, but I am one of Jehovahs Witnesses and here I am. There are several JWs here ready to answer anyone's questions about our religion.
So? What does this have to do with (whether or not) the JW's are even correct to begin with?

Here's a question for you, since you claim you JW's answer questions... How many failed prophecies will it take before you JW's finally decide to denounce your own religion? Or, will you JW's continue to just "re-translate" accordingly --- to taste?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Post #62

Post by POI »

SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness.
Based upon desirability alone, if it's between this or that alone, I'd go with the Mormons. Apparently, if you do enough, some day you will get your own planet to rule. That might be kinda cool.
SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.
Use of satire here?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Revelations won
Sage

Post #63

Post by Revelations won »

Dear sacred Bishop,

You asked for responses from 2 religious groups. First are you really seriously searching for truth?

Let’s get some things straight, I am not a member of the “Mormon church” so I cannot answer for someone from that church. In fact I do not know if a church by that name even exists.

I am a member of “The Church of Jesus Christ of LatterDay Saints”.
If you are actually asking a response from this church, then I am perfectly willing to respond to your requests.

I will comment on some posts that have responded to your requests as follows:

Another respondent posted a picture of the Salt Lake temple and a JW meeting house. The temple is a separate and special House of the Lord and is much different from our normal meeting houses of worship.

Our normal meeting chapels are clean, simple and built to high standards which meet all local building codes in any country. They are appropriately landscaped and are in most areas similar in construction. Architectural costs are kept to a minimum by the church architecture department. HVAC costs are kept to a minimum by using high efficiency equipment and in some cases we even use available solar energy equipment for further savings. All houses of worship are required to operate or be constructed without loans and are fully debt free when placed in use. I work in facilities management and can personally attest that all of our modern buildings require mimimal maintenance. We build many chapels per year. In some years we have built over 500 such chapels. All church buildings constructed and maintained debt free.

If you study the book of Malachi you might be surprised to learn that
All this is done by obedience to the Lords law of tithing as clearly stated in the Bible. (By the way no one is ever sent a bill for tithing or other free will offerings..)

I find it pretty amazing the Lords church restored in these latter days should, according to the wisdom of God, operate independently and free above all other civil or religious entities upon the earth!

Yes, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was restored according to. Latter day divine revelation On April 6, 1830.

The JW’s on the other hand deny the existence of latter day prophets as well as deny all latter day revelation. So it appears that their claim to their 1914 restored kingdom is simply a man made kingdom that has nothing to do with God.

I cannot give you the answers you need to join any church. If you read and study and ponder very carefully the book of James in the Bible you, like the rest of us you can gain your own testimony, wisdom and answers from the divine source directly.

Best regards,
RW

Diogenes
Guru

Post #64

Post by Diogenes »

SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.

Joseph Smith or Joseph Rutherford? They were both extremely intelligent men, and certainly well respected by their peers. I know every other Christian denomination is horribly wrong, and full of heresies. Help me decide. Which religion is correct?

I believe the Bible predicted the church would be restored to glory in the 1800s in America. Both religions originated in the 1800s, thus my dilemma.

JW was actually started by Charles Taze Russell who made a false prediction about the end of the world then revised that when it didn't happen. All his end of the world predictions were false.
Then there's Joseph Smith a proven fraud who used to bilk people out of money with his gold digging scheme until he realized the religious were easier marks. He claimed to have translated the Book of Abraham from Egyptian before the Rosetta Stone was used to correctly translate the language. After people knew how to truly translate Egyptian, it turned out Smith's 'Book of Abraham' was another fraud and was really just an ordinary funeral papyri. He also clumsily altered some of the drawings to fit his phony story. You can look all this up yourself if you actually want to know the truth, rather the baloney the Church puts out.

The controversy intensified in the late 1960s when portions of the Joseph Smith Papyri were located. The translation of the papyri by both Mormon and non-Mormon Egyptologists does not match the text of the Book of Abraham as purportedly translated by Joseph Smith.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Abraham

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #65

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Revelations won wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:58 pm ...it appears that their [Jehovah's Witnesses] claim to their 1914 restored kingdom is simply a man made kingdom that has nothing to do with God.
I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses so I will correct you when it comes to any statements that are incorrect as to the officially published beliefs of Jehovahs Witnesses

"God’s Kingdom is a heavenly government" - The Watchtower 2014 , October 1 p. 16
[The] establishment of God’s kingdom was by no human hands - Proclaimers, chap. 14 pp. 188
Listen to what the prophecy of Daniel chapter 2, verse 44, says: “In the days of those kings [human rulers in the time of the end] the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. . . . It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms.” No wonder Jesus said that his Kingdom was no part of this world! Rather, the Kingdom is going to destroy the kingdoms, the governments, of this earth and take their place in ruling mankind - Watchtower 92 February 1 p. 5
...Almighty God and Creator must take over the rulership of all the earth by his Messianic kingdom - The Watchower 1968 October 15 p. 628
4 God’s Kingdom is a government established by Jehovah God with a King chosen by God. Who is the King of God’s Kingdom? Jesus Christ. - What Does the Bible Really Teach? p. 77 para 4
Paul reminded them that as anointed Christians their citizenship existed “in the heavens.” (Phil. 3:20) They were citizens, not of a mere human empire, but of God’s Kingdom. As such, they enjoyed unparalleled protection and benefits.​—Eph. 2:19-22. - The Watchtower 2012, August 15 pp. 11-15
3. How is God’s Kingdom superior to human governments? Even when human rulers try to do good things, they do not have the power to do everything they want. They are eventually replaced by other rulers who may not have the best interests of their subjects in mind. But the Ruler of God’s Kingdom, Jesus, will never be replaced by anyone else. God has “set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed (Daniel 2:44). - Live forever , Lesson 31 p.128
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #66

Post by The Nice Centurion »

SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 pm I can't make up my mind. Should I be a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. Both religions sound very reasonable to me, but unfortunately neither are in my city. I would have to move, but first I need to decide which religion is correct.

Which mormon sect do you mean exactly? There sprung numerous mormon sects already in the lifetime of Joseph Smith. So many mormon denominations out there; Temple Lot, FLDS, Church of Christ ...
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #67

Post by The Nice Centurion »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:55 am
SacredBishop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:28 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:23 pm

I believe blood transfusions are wrong, but I also believe that Jesus came to America and preached the Gospel. Decisions, decisions ..
Ever consider Scientology?

No, I don't believe in science.
:D I think you may have just won 'Best joke of the year award for 2023.....

..apart from the ones Miles didn't make: "Have you considered Scientism?"
Or: How about "Christian Science" (really the name of a sect) for you?
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"