Is the holy spirit a living being?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

kjw47
Under Probation

Is the holy spirit a living being?

Post #1

Post by kjw47 »

Is the holy spirit a living being with equality to the Father and son? Lets look at bible facts.

1) The Father has a name-YHWH(Jehovah) the son has a name Jesus-Holy spirit-0
2) The Father seen on a throne, the son seen on a throne-Holy spirit-0
3)The Father shares certain things with the son-Holy spirit-0
4)Many very important passages in NT where only the Father and son are spoken of-holy spirit-2
The most important one being John 17:3--This means eternal life, their knowing you( Father) THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one whom you sent forth Christ Jesus. Holy spirit-0

No is the answer i see. How about you?

The new Catholic encyclopedia 1967 Vol XIII Page 575-- The majority of NT texts reveal Gods spirit as something not someone.

MissKate13
Sage

Re: Is the holy spirit a living being?

Post #101

Post by MissKate13 »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:56 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:15 pm [Replying to kjw47 in post #95]

“Force” is a term JW’s invented to describe the Holy Spirit. It is not Biblical. Nowhere does Scripture describe the Holy Spirit as force.

The opposite of living is dead. You claim the Holy Spirit is not living. Therefore, the Holy Spirit must be dead. There are no other alternatives. Either something is living or it’s dead.

Now you’re saying man does not have a spirit. The Scriptures say different.

1 Corinthians 2:11 “ For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.

James 2:26
For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Yes a spirit as in the spirit of what makes that one them. Not a ghost like being within. Genesis is clear, its the breath of life that makes one alive. And one becomes a living soul, not has a living soul. Gen 2:7
Ghost is a very poor translation. I’ve never used the word ghost to describe the Holy Spirit. I’m very thankful that the New King James Version translators chose to not use it.

In 1 Cor. 2:11, James 2:26 and 1 Thess. 5:23, which I posted to you, each use the Greek word PNEUMA, which is spirit in English. PNEUMA is also used in reference to the Holy Spirit.

Yet you say the spirit of man is alive, but the Holy Spirit is dead. Go figure!

I have just one more question for you, and then I’ll move on to another topic. Do you believe the Holy Spirit lives/dwells in you?

Here’s a passage that might help you.
John 14:15-17

15 “If you love me, keep my commands.
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—
17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

MissKate13
Sage

Post #102

Post by MissKate13 »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:02 am
kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:21 pm Is the holy spirit a living being with equality to the Father and son? Lets look at bible facts.

1) The Father has a name-YHWH(Jehovah) the son has a name Jesus-Holy spirit-0
2) The Father seen on a throne, the son seen on a throne-Holy spirit-0
3)The Father shares certain things with the son-Holy spirit-0
4)Many very important passages in NT where only the Father and son are spoken of-holy spirit-2
The most important one being John 17:3--This means eternal life, their knowing you( Father) THE ONLY TRUE GOD and the one whom you sent forth Christ Jesus. Holy spirit-0

No is the answer i see. How about you?

The new Catholic encyclopedia 1967 Vol XIII Page 575-- The majority of NT texts reveal Gods spirit as something not someone.
True, the HS has no name, therefore it could not be part of a co-equal Trinity. It has been made into a Person by some men's imaginations. There is no Biblical reason to believe that the HS is a Person. It is a "thing," like the power in an electric light bulb that lights up the bulb.
Not having a personal name does not mean the Holy Spirit is not a person. If your argument were true, then my twin daughters were not persons when they were born because we didn’t name them until they were three days old.

Watchtower acknowledges that a demon is a spirit (pneuma). (Insight on the Scriptures, NewYork: Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, 1989, pp. 612.)

Most demons don’t have personal names. However, some do. Abaddon is mentioned in Revelation 9:11. His Hebrew name is Abaddon and His Greek name is Apollyon.

Mark 5:9,
“And Jesus asked him, “What is your name?” He replied, “My name is Legion, for we are many.”

Using your definition of “person” (one who has a personal name), we should conclude that demons who have personal names are persons but the Holy Spirit is not because He doesn’t have a personal name.

Sorry, friend, but your argument doesn’t hold up.

You say the Holy Spirit is not a person. How would you define person?
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

onewithhim
Savant

Post #103

Post by onewithhim »

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:11 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:17 pm
onewithhim wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am
MissKate13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:38 am
MissKate13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:22 am
kjw47 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:11 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:43 am
kjw47 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:44 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:08 am
kjw47 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:36 pm

Its his active force. His power.
You did not answer my question.

Do you believe the Spirit of God is dead? Yes? No?

Are you talking about God or the holy spirit?
The Spirit of God from Gen. 1:2, and numerous other passages -

Is the Spirit of God dead? Yes? No?

Gen 1:2 is the holy spirit--It is Gods active force not a living being.
If you the Spirit of God is not living then there is only one alternative. You believe the Holy Spirit is dead.

If the Holy Spirit is dead, how is it “it” has emotions, a mind and a will?

The Scriptures teach that each of us has a spirit (1Jn 4:2) You say the Spirit of God is dead. Is the spirit of kjw47 also dead?
The HS is as living as the electricity in an electric wire. It is not "dead." Electricity lights up the world. Jehovah's POWER keeps everything alive and functioning. His HS is similar to the electricity comparison. He uses his Spirit to accomplish whatever he wants to do, and you can bet He is cognizant all around the world of what is going on, because of His HS that can be everywhere at once. Can a Person be everywhere at once? No, and neither can a Person be "poured out" like the HS at Pentecost.

IJohn 4:2 doesn't say anything about people having spirits.

The spirit we have is God's powerful FORCE which keeps everything alive. We don't have a spirit that departs our body at death. It's just God's power "returning" to its Source, so to speak, after the death of the individual.
I’m happy to know you believe the Holy Spirit is not dead!

Neither the Holy Spirit nor our spirit is ever referred to as “force.”

In my humble opinion, a force does not have emotions, a mind or a will. The Holy Spirit has emotions, a mind and a will.

1 John 4:2
“By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,”

Who is the “spirit” in the second sentence that confesses that Jesus has come in the flesh?

The following verses all seem to indicate that we have a spirit.
The Holy Spirit has no mind or a separate will from the Father. It is simply what Jehovah wants to do, and he does it by means of his FORCE. We do not have a "mini-me" ghost inside us that leaves the body at death and goes on alive somewhere, a conscious being. Whatever "spirit" men are said to have is merely the power of God maintaining their lives. There is also the meaning that a person's "spirit" is his impelling mental inclination, as we say "his spirits are down today, he seems depressed." So we do not HAVE an ethereal being inside us that leaves the body after death, but we have our own mental inclinations, and we have Jehovah's power keeping us alive. That is the extent of the "spirit" within us.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #104

Post by kjw47 »

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:56 am
kjw47 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:56 pm
MissKate13 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:15 pm [Replying to kjw47 in post #95]

“Force” is a term JW’s invented to describe the Holy Spirit. It is not Biblical. Nowhere does Scripture describe the Holy Spirit as force.

The opposite of living is dead. You claim the Holy Spirit is not living. Therefore, the Holy Spirit must be dead. There are no other alternatives. Either something is living or it’s dead.

Now you’re saying man does not have a spirit. The Scriptures say different.

1 Corinthians 2:11 “ For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God.

James 2:26
For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

1 Thessalonians 5:23
Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Yes a spirit as in the spirit of what makes that one them. Not a ghost like being within. Genesis is clear, its the breath of life that makes one alive. And one becomes a living soul, not has a living soul. Gen 2:7
Ghost is a very poor translation. I’ve never used the word ghost to describe the Holy Spirit. I’m very thankful that the New King James Version translators chose to not use it.

In 1 Cor. 2:11, James 2:26 and 1 Thess. 5:23, which I posted to you, each use the Greek word PNEUMA, which is spirit in English. PNEUMA is also used in reference to the Holy Spirit.

Yet you say the spirit of man is alive, but the Holy Spirit is dead. Go figure!

I have just one more question for you, and then I’ll move on to another topic. Do you believe the Holy Spirit lives/dwells in you?

Here’s a passage that might help you.
John 14:15-17

15 “If you love me, keep my commands.
16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—
17 the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Everyone thinks a spirit being is ghostlike.