Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

1. Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus was “a god.” This is how the NWT reads (John 1:1).

Do JW’s believe Jesus was a true or false god?

2. JW’s say Jesus is a created being.

When was Jesus (capital or lower case g) created?

I look forward to your responses to one or both questions.

MissKate13
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #2

Post by Eloi »

What would a false god be to you?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 am 1. Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus was “ a god” This is how the NWT reads (John 1:1).

"and the Word was a god" - The New Testament, in an Improved Version, Thomas Belsham, Upon the Basis of Archbishop Newcom New Translation: With a Corrected Text, London.

"and the Word was a god" - The New Testament in Greek and English (A. Kneeland, 1822.)

"and the Word was a god" - The Monotessaron; or, The Gospel History According to the Four Evangelists (J. S. Thompson, 1829)

"and the Word was a god" - A Literal Translation of the New Testament (Herman Heinfetter [Pseudonym of Frederick Parker], 1863)

"and the Word was a god" - Das Evangelium nach Johannes (J. Becker, 1979)

"and the Word was a god" - Concise Commentary on The Holy Bible (R. Young, 1885)

"and the Word was a god" - The Coptic Version of the N.T. (G. W. Horner, 1911)

"The Logos existed in the very beginning, the Logos was with God, the Logos was divine" - James Moffatt

Dr. J. D. BeDuhn "And the Word was a god " The preponderance of evidence from Greek grammar supports this translation. - Truth in Translation , p. 132, University Press of America, Inc., 2003.

TRINITARIAN SCHOLARS
W. E. Vine John 1:1c is literally translated " ... a god was the Word" .- p. 490, An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1983 printing.

C. H. Dod , director of the New English Bible project, : "A possible translation [for John 1:1c] ... would be, The Word was a god. As a word-for-word translation it cannot be faulted" - Technical Papers for the Bible Translator, vol. 28, Jan. 1977.

Prof. Murray J. Harris also admits that grammatically John 1:1c may be properly translated, "the Word was a god" - p. 60, Jesus as God, Baker Book House, 1992.

Dr. Robert Young admits that a more literal translation of John 1:1cp. is and a god (i.e. a Divine Being) was the Word - 54, (New Covenant section), Young' s Concise Critical Bible Commentary, Baker Book House, 1977 printing.

Dr. William Barclay: "You could translate [John 1:1c], so far as the Greek goes: the Word was a God ... - Ever yours, p. 205, edited by C. L. Rawlins, Labarum Publ., 1985

FURTHER RESEARCH : http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com ... er_21.html
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:15 am, edited 17 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 am
A true god.

RELATED POSTS
How many Only True Gods exist?
viewtopic.php?p=1090732#p1090732

How many only true Christs have there been ? (tigger)
viewtopic.php?p=866476#p866476
FURTHER RESEARCH

[Only True God] http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com ... e-god.html
[No other God] viewtopic.php?p=1111842#p1111842
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:54 am, edited 5 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 am2. JW’s say Jesus is a created being.

Before the creation of everything else.
COLOSSIANS 1:15, 16
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him.

GENESIS 1:26
God said: Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness

PROVERBS 8:30, 31
I was beside him as a master worker. I was the one he was especially fond of day by day; I rejoiced before him all the time; I rejoiced over his habitable earth, And I was especially fond of the sons of men.

See related posts below ...
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

RELATED POSTS
FOOT NOTE :

ORIGEN
And to let us understand that the Word has His own definite place and sphere as one who has life in Himself (and is a distinct person), we must also speak about powers, not about power. Thus says the Lord of powers, (A.V. hosts) we frequently read; there are certain creatures, rational and divine, which are called powers: and of these Christ was the highest and best, and is called not only the wisdom of God but also His power. - Commentary on John #42
To learn more please go to to other posts related to ...

GOD, JESUS and ...THE "TRINITY TEXTS" DEBUNKED
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #7

Post by MissKate13 »

Eloi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:50 pm What would a false god be to you?

Thanks for your question!
In my humble opinion, a false god would be the exact opposite of our true God.

Our God by nature is love, righteousness, holiness, truth, grace and mercy.

A false god by nature would be the exact opposite: hate, unrighteousness, falsehood, no grace, and merciless.

MissKate13
Sage

Post #8

Post by MissKate13 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:04 am
MissKate13 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:39 am2. JW’s say Jesus is a created being.

Before the creation of everything else.
COLOSSIANS 1:15, 16
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him.

GENESIS 1:26
God said: Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness

PROVERBS 8:30, 31
I was beside him as a master worker. I was the one he was especially fond of day by day; I rejoiced before him all the time; I rejoiced over his habitable earth, And I was especially fond of the sons of men.

See related posts below ...
Thanks for responding and for your willingness to discuss this topic.

You quoted Colossians 1:15-16. I have a copy of the Kingdom Interlinear, which I use regularly along with lexicons when I’m want to know how the original language reads and what it means.

Comparing the Colossians passage with the KI and Greek lexicons, I see the NWT has added the word “other” four times to verses 16 and 17.

16 because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him and for him. 17 Also, he is before all [other things, and by means of him all other[/b]things were made to exist,

What is your opinion of the NWT adding “other” to the word of God? Do you believe it is acceptable to Jehovah?

My second question is this. How is firstborn defined in standard academic Greek lexicons?

In order to keep my post short, I did not address the other two verses. Long posts are difficult to respond to in a meaningful way, and much gets lost in the process.

Have a blessed day!

MissKate13
Sage

Post #9

Post by MissKate13 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:40 pm
A true god.

RELATED POSTS

FURTHER RESEARCH [Only True God] http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com ... e-god.html
I’m happy to know you believe Jesus is/was a true god. And for the record, whether a lower case or capital G is in front of the word god makes no difference to me. Capital letters were not used in the original language of the Greek extant manuscripts.

Since you believe Jesus is a true god, does this mean you believe there are two gods?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #10

Post by 2timothy316 »

MissKate13 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:51 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:40 pm
A true god.

RELATED POSTS

FURTHER RESEARCH [Only True God] http://examiningthetrinity.blogspot.com ... e-god.html
I’m happy to know you believe Jesus is/was a true god. And for the record, whether a lower case or capital G is before the word god makes no difference to me. Capital letters were not used in the original language of the Greek extant manuscripts.

Since you believe Jesus is a true god, does this mean you believe there are two gods?
There is only one True Almighty God. While Jesus is a mighty spirit being, a god even, he is second to Jehovah the Almighty. Jesus is not the True Almighty God or even equal to his Father. Jesus is never referenced to as the True God or a True God.

Satan is a god and his demons are gods in that they are mighty and powerful. People even worship them. People even worship angels as gods and Jesus as god but this is wrong according to Deuteronomy 6:10, Matthew 4:10 and Revelation 22:9. None of these can hold a candle to who Jehovah is according to Psalms 83:18.