Are members of the Trinity really "co-equal"?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

polonius
Prodigy

Are members of the Trinity really "co-equal"?

Post #1

Post by polonius »

After the “Ascension of Jesus� the Jewish Christians continued as very observant members of Judaism and worshipped in the Temple. This means that they had to believe the most basic of Jewish teachings – “Hear O Israel, the Lord is One�

Although the Old Testament made clear that the Messiah was a man (not divine) as does Acts, about 85 AD, Christians began to claim that Jesus was divine himself. This resulted in them being anathematized from Judaism labeled “minim� or apostates and excluded from Jewish synagogues. (see the gospel of John written in 95 AD).

To remedy this problem, about the third century the idea of a Trinity was invented. It’s three members were said to be absolutely consubstantial (same substance), co-eternal, and co-equal.

But the “co-equal� claim is self-defeating. If two things are absolutely “co-equal� they are the same. There is no characteristic to distinguish them. If they can be distinguished, obviously they are not the same or co-equal.

Ross
Scholar

Re: Are members of the Trinity really "co-equal"?

Post #41

Post by Ross »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:19 pm
Ross wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:25 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:29 pm some erring scribes have taken out the Name in the Christian Greek Scriptures.
God has preserved the Bible for the benefit of all mankind against all odds. His inspired Word. But couldn't prevent dishonest scribes from removing his name in the NT; and needed you guys in the 1950's to put it back?
Yup.
I actually am amazed that you admit this so freely. Can you not see how absurd this thinking is? God needed the help of a Jehovah's Witness Translating Committee in the 1950's because he couldn't preserve the integrity of the Bible?
If I start a new thread on this subject, will you be prepared to discuss it with me, as this is somewhat off topic to this thread?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by Eloi »

Ross wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:43 pm
Eloi wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:16 pm
Ross wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:28 pm Why insist on using the name Jehovah today for God when it is not present in the Greek scriptures, or even the LXX, other than attempting to manipulate people into believing that that YHWH is the Father only, and that the Christ is insignificant and not 'co-equal?'
Ask Jehovah why he insists on his people to use his personal name:

Mal. 3:16 At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance was written before him for those fearing Jehovah and for those meditating on his name.
17 “And they will be mine,” says Jehovah of armies, “in the day when I produce a special property. I will show them compassion, just as a man shows compassion to his son who serves him. 18 And you will again see the distinction between a righteous person and a wicked person, between one serving God and one not serving him.”
The name that Christians are admonished to revere is the name of Jesus, not YHWH. This is stated clearly in NT scripture.

(...)
Do you need to despise Jehovah in order to love his Son? Bad thing.

The honor that is given to the Son of God is by command of his Father. How can you despise Jehovah to worship Jesus? Do you think Jesus is pleased with that?

Ross
Scholar

Post #43

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:30 am
Ask Jehovah why he insists on his people to use his personal name:

Mal. 3:16 At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion, and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening. And a book of remembrance was written before him for those fearing Jehovah and for those meditating on his name.
17 “And they will be mine,” says Jehovah of armies, “in the day when I produce a special property. I will show them compassion, just as a man shows compassion to his son who serves him. 18 And you will again see the distinction between a righteous person and a wicked person, between one serving God and one not serving him.”
You must then conclude that the Jewish nation are Gods people still, because that is who those words were addressed to?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Eloi »

These words of Jehovah:

... were adressed to the Israelites and Jews who returned from exile and had already rebuilt Jerusalem, its walls, its gates, had already repopulated the capital-city, and restored the priestly service in the rebuilt temple. However Jehovah speaks of a possession that he would have in the future... Obviously he speaks of a new nation, not the one he had at that moment.

JEHOVAH INSISTS that to become part of that "special possession" of Him, the persons must use His name.

Ross
Scholar

Post #45

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:32 pm These words of Jehovah:

... were adressed to the Israelites and Jews who returned from exile and had already rebuilt Jerusalem, its walls, its gates, had already repopulated the capital-city, and restored the priestly service in the rebuilt temple. However Jehovah speaks of a possession that he would have in the future... Obviously he speaks of a new nation, not the one he had at that moment.

JEHOVAH INSISTS that to become part of that "special possession" of Him, the persons must use His name.
OK. Are you able to enlarge upon your interpretation of this scripture and explain what you actually mean? And I don't quite get this next bit:
Eloi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:32 pm JEHOVAH INSISTS that to become part of that "special possession" of Him, the persons must use His name.

Ross
Scholar

Post #46

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:32 pm
I do not see that in the text you supplied from Malachi, nor have I read that in any Bible.

What I have read though is this:

Acts 4:10-12 " let it be known to all of ​YOU​ and to all the people of Israel, that in the name of Jesus Christ the Naz‧a‧rene′.... there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”"

What do YOU think about that?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by Eloi »

I read this in the NT:

Acts 15:14 Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name. 15 And with this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written:

16 ‘After these things I will return and raise up again the tent of David that is fallen down; I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, 17 so that the men who remain may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things, 18 known from of old.’ [Am. 9:11,12]

19 Therefore, my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, 20 but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood. 21 For from ancient times Moses has had those who preach him in city after city, because he is read aloud in the synagogues on every sabbath.”

Ross
Scholar

Post #48

Post by Ross »

Eloi wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:02 pm I read this in the NT:

Acts 15:14 Symeon has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name. 15 And with this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written:

16 ‘After these things I will return and raise up again the tent of David that is fallen down; I will rebuild its ruins and restore it, 17 so that the men who remain may earnestly seek Jehovah, together with people of all the nations, people who are called by my name, says Jehovah, who is doing these things, 18 known from of old.’ [Am. 9:11,12]

19 Therefore, my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, 20 but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood. 21 For from ancient times Moses has had those who preach him in city after city, because he is read aloud in the synagogues on every sabbath.”
Very prompt and impressive response Eloi. Thank you for engaging with me, I appreciate it.

I will reply tomorrow when I have some more time.

You did not however comment on the scripture I quoted from Acts about the name of Jesus Christ.

How do you understand this apparent conflict of interest in 'names?'

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #49

Post by Eloi »

There is not any conflict of interest in names.

John 12:26 (...) If anyone would minister to me, the Father will honor him. 27 Now I am troubled, and what should I say? Father, save me out of this hour. Nevertheless, this is why I have come to this hour. 28 Father, glorify your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have glorified it and will glorify it again.”

Phil. 2:9 For this very reason, God exalted him to a superior position and kindly gave him the name that is above every other name, 10 so that in the name of Jesus every knee should bend—of those in heaven and those on earth and those under the ground— 11 and every tongue should openly acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father.

Matt. 6:9 “You must pray, then, this way:
“‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. 10 Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth. ..."

Ross
Scholar

Post #50

Post by Ross »

Eloi,
Please note Isiah 45:22-24

"Turn to me and be saved,
all the ends of the earth!
For I am God, and there is no other.
23 By myself I have sworn;
from my mouth has gone out in righteousness
a word that shall not return:
To me every knee shall bow,
every tongue shall swear allegiance.'"

Then compare this with:

Philippians 2:10-11
"that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

This demonstrates that Jesus is God, YHWH, whom you call Jehovah.

Acts 4:10-12 " in the name of Jesus Christ the Naz‧a‧rene′.... and there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”"

This is the reason why there is no YHWH in the Greek scriptures. Jesus is the name. The only name for Christians. There is no 'name' in this sense given to The Father. It is wrong to attribute the YHWH name in the Masoretic Text to The Father only. This is why your leaders were in such confusion regarding their desperation to add 'Jehovah' to their NT Bible. You miss the whole point about the Lords prayer too.