Matthew 12:40

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

rstrats
Scholar

Matthew 12:40

Post #1

Post by rstrats »

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion� with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that the phrase “x� days and “x�nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely didn’t include at least parts of the “x� days and at least parts of the “x� nights?

rstrats
Scholar

Re: Matthew 12:40

Post #211

Post by rstrats »

Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:58 am

SUNDAY was the day of the resurrection, and it was the third day after Jesus' death. That means he died on Friday.
How do you account for the lack of a third night?

BTW, if Sunday was the third day after the Messiah's death, what would be the first day after His death?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #212

Post by Eloi »

rstrats wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:18 am
Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:58 am

SUNDAY was the day of the resurrection, and it was the third day after Jesus' death. That means he died on Friday.
How do you account for the lack of a third night?

BTW, if Sunday was the third day after the Messiah's death, what would be the first day after His death?
Not need of any third night for the prophecy to be fulfilled.

The expression "three days and three nights" is a hebraism meaning three days, not 72 hours.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #213

Post by Eloi »

With the development of events since Jesus' death in the afternoon, to the visit of the women to the tomb early in the morning on the first day of the week, Sunday, we can see that Jesus was three days (not 72 hours) dead. If Jesus died Friday, the third day is Sunday at any hour.

Friday 3.00 pm: Jesus died and is sepulted before the holy day.
Saturday: Nobody can go to see the body cause is holy day.
Sunday, early in the morning: women go the first time to see the body.

Disregarding the supposed literalness of the prophetic expression related to Jonah and mentioned only once in the entire NT (Matt. 12:39,40), we can see that the phrase on the third day is mentioned several times with reference to when Jesus would be resurrected; some are: Matt. 16:21; 17:23; 27:63; Luke 24:7,46.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #214

Post by rstrats »

Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:52 am

Not need of any third night for the prophecy to be fulfilled. The expression "three days and three nights" is a hebraism meaning three days, not 72 hours.

Maybe not 72 hours but how do you know that it doesn't mean at least a portion of each one of three daytimes and at least a portion of each one of three night times?

Also, again, if Sunday was the third day after the Messiah's death, what would be the first day after His death?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #215

Post by Eloi »

rstrats wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:38 pmMaybe not 72 hours but how do you know that it doesn't mean at least a portion of each one of three daytimes and at least a portion of each one of three night times?

Also, again, if Sunday was the third day after the Messiah's death, what would be the first day after His death?
I know that because what I just said before:
Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:26 am With the development of events since Jesus' death in the afternoon, to the visit of the women to the tomb early in the morning on the first day of the week, Sunday, we can see that Jesus was three days (not 72 hours) dead. If Jesus died Friday, the third day is Sunday at any hour.

Disregarding the supposed literalness of the prophetic expression related to Jonah and mentioned only once in the entire NT (Matt. 12:39,40), we can see that the phrase on the third day is mentioned several times with reference to when Jesus would be resurrected; some are: Matt. 16:21; 17:23; 27:63; Luke 24:7,46.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #216

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to Eloi in post #210]

Eloi,
re: "I know that because what I just said before:"

What you said before was: "The expression 'three days and three nights' is a Hebraism meaning three days, not 72 hours."

And how do you know that that Hebraism can't simply mean at least a portion of each one of three daytimes and at least a portion of each one of three night times?

Also, again, you wrote that that "SUNDAY was the day of the resurrection, and it was the third day after Jesus' death. That means he died on Friday." So if Sunday was the third day after the Messiah's death on Friday, what would the first day after Friday be?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #217

Post by Eloi »

I know what Jesus meant with the third day because of this he said:

Luke 13:32 And he said to them: “Go and tell that fox, ‘Look! I am casting out demons and accomplishing healing today and tomorrow, and the third day I shall be finished.’

When Jesus appeared to some of his disciples the same day he was raised from the dead, they told him:

Luke 24:21 (...)
καὶ σὺν πᾶσιν τούτοις __ and besides all these things
τρίτην ταύτην ἡμέραν ἄγει __ this third day is running
ἀφʼ οὗ ταῦτα ἐγένετο __ since these things occurred.

So, when 'those things occurred' was the first day.

As said before:
Eloi wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:26 am With the development of events since Jesus' death in the afternoon, to the visit of the women to the tomb early in the morning on the first day of the week, Sunday, we can see that Jesus was three days (not 72 hours) dead. If Jesus died Friday, the third day is Sunday at any hour.

You seem not to understand very well what is said to you. It's been a long time getting all kind of explanations and you're still asking for the same answers. Hopefully some day you will accept the biblical truth about this.

rstrats
Scholar

Post #218

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to Eloi in post #217]

re: "I know what Jesus meant with the third day because of this he said: Luke 13:32 And he said to them: 'Go and tell that fox, ‘Look! I am casting out demons and accomplishing healing today and tomorrow, and the third day I shall be finished.’"

The Luke passage would only be analogous with Matthew 12:40 if it included the number of daytimes and the number of night times which would be involved.

re: "You seem not to understand very well what is said to you."

How about putting in one sentence what it is that I am supposed to understand.

Also, you wrote that "SUNDAY was the day of the resurrection, and it was the third day after Jesus' death. That means he died on Friday." So, if Sunday was the third day after Friday, what would the first day after Friday be?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #219

Post by Eloi »

You got a few points to study:
Eloi wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:35 am I know what Jesus meant with the third day because of this he said:

Luke 13:32 And he said to them: “Go and tell that fox, ‘Look! I am casting out demons and accomplishing healing today and tomorrow, and the third day I shall be finished.’

When Jesus appeared to some of his disciples the same day he was raised from the dead, they told him:

Luke 24:21 (...)
καὶ σὺν πᾶσιν τούτοις __ and besides all these things
τρίτην ταύτην ἡμέραν ἄγει __ this third day is running
ἀφʼ οὗ ταῦτα ἐγένετο __ since these things occurred.

So, when 'those things occurred' was the first day.

As said before:

You seem not to understand very well what is said to you. It's been a long time getting all kind of explanations and you're still asking for the same answers. Hopefully some day you will accept the biblical truth about this.
Tell me when you finish. O:)

rstrats
Scholar

Post #220

Post by rstrats »

[Replying to Eloi in post #219]

Eloi,
re: "You seem not to understand very well what is said to you."

I understand what you're saying. What I don't understand is what your comments have to do with the issue of this topic.

re: "It's been a long time getting all kind of explanations and you're still asking for the same answers."

Because, with the possible exception of one example, no answers have shown examples (plural) which support an assertion that it was common to say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could be.

re: " Hopefully some day you will accept the biblical truth about this."

To what is "this" referring?