'There's no school like old school!; Zoroastrianism?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas123
Sage

'There's no school like old school!; Zoroastrianism?

Post #1

Post by Thomas123 »

I borrowed this logo from a group ,I know, who restore vintage tractors. Why pursue such an endeavour? Many of these lovely people just love their tractors and regularly exhibit them with pride at charity fundraisers and rallies. Most of my friends, who do this ,work their restored vintage tractors regularly and develop their mechanical skills regarding the fundamentals of machinery maintenance, hence the logo.

Have a look at this,please! Zoroastrianism
Disassemble it, find holes, find rust, etc.
Go back to school on it,please!

This is the root of Messianic Judaism, and most of mystic Christianity.

Except its, cleaner, more informed, and more useful than either of the above in 2023, imho. Compare it to the more modern models, dismiss it with passion, whatever!

I will contend that this ,Zoroastrianism, is easier 'over the ground' than it's pimped up derivatives.

Thanks!

Thomas123
Sage

Re: 'There's no school like old school!; Zoroastrianism?

Post #11

Post by Thomas123 »

'To the biblical student, the Avesta and the religion of Zoroaster have more than one distinct point of interest. It may fairly be said that the sacred books of no other people, outside the light of the great revelation, contain a clearer grasp of the ideas,
of right and wrong, or a firmer faith in the importance of the purity alike of body and soul, a more ethical conception of duty ( considering the early times), or a truer, nobler, more ideal faith in the resurrection of the body, the coming of a Saviour,
and of the rewards and punishments hereafter for the immortal soul, than are to be found in the scriptures of ancient Iran, illuminated by the spirit of the great teacher himself, Zoroaster.'

AVESTA, THE BIBLE OF ZOROASTER.
By PROFESSOR A. V. W. JACKSON, PH. D.,
Columbia College

Thomas123
Sage

Post #12

Post by Thomas123 »

'It may likewise well be remembered that it was Cyrus, the ancient Persian king, a follower of the faith of Zoroaster, whom God called his 'anointed' (Isa. 45: 1 - 3), his 'shepherd' (Isa. 44: 28), and the 'righteous' one (Isa. 41: 2); and who gave command that the temple at Jerusalem should be rebuilt, and that the Jews be returned from captivity to their own city .'

Same reference as above....what does this mean?😲

Thomas123
Sage

Post #13

Post by Thomas123 »

Happy Pancake Tuesday!

Zoroastrianism

https://human.libretexts.org/Bookshelve ... ndividuals.

Zoroastrians believe that an individual, called the “Saoshyant,” will usher in this era and lead the battle against Angra Mainyu. The Saoshyant is a savior-figure who will be born of a virgin, which the text calls “Gobakabu”. The text talks about her lineage and how she is a descendant of certain individuals. This is important for Zoroastrians because they believe that the Saoshyant will be a descendant of Zarathustra, the original prophet of Zoroastrianism. This text tells the story of how she will bathe in a lake and become impregnated with the seed of Zarathustra, which has been kept intact for thousands of years by angels. Then she will give birth to the Saoshyant

Luke 1:26-56

26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth,
27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.
28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.
29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name Jesus.
32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:
33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?

Okay!... a simple question!

Who is 'calling dibs' on this one. WHY?
Answers on a postcard,.. see you all when Lent is out.
Thanks

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #14

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I have certainly noted that Zoroastrianism seems to have a few beliefs (it still exists as a rather minor religion being oppressed in Iran doesn't it?) that appear in Biblical thought or perhaps Christian thought that don't appear to originally be there. Given that the post exile Jews were well disposed towards the Persians who left their religion alone, I wonder whether they might not have adopted some ideas, for example the adversary which woulkd solve a lot of the knotty problems of why God appears to do evil. Ahriman is just the scapegoat to blame it on.

I would need some convincing that the nativity derives from Zoroastrianism,even though Chaldean Magi from the east were in fact Babylonian Persian Zoroastrians and were until Islam finally overran Persia at the Battle of Nihawand (if I remember the name right). That said, virgin births were not unknown in various religions. And I can see doctrinal and dogmatic requirements as being the cheese that the green mould of gospel fabrication would form up on.