Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Should I become an atheist and why?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Should I become an atheist and why?

What are the benefits, practices, beliefs? Any good conversion stories?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Should I become an atheist and why?

Post #201

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Glancing back at the topic, the exchanges above make me value being an atheist at least as it seems to avoid the tunnel vision that we get, otherwise.

That we may doubt the fact of the crucifixion, though I credit it, myself, either way it does not alter the question about how or why the sheer act, nasty though it was, served to provide an escape - clause in the law of sin -death. There had be far worse,and permanent decease, too, ordered by God or done by Hasmoneans, Herod and Romans before then, and God did not see fit to make a get - out of Sin - death thereby. It was this one crucifixion (and cut short, too) with Jesus in heaven an hour or so later, according to Luke, and only coming back to inhabit his body, with identification marks, so as to appear to various people as evidence that the resurrection - claim was true.

It has to be either that the blood was magical because Jesus in the flesh was holy or it was the 'son of God' that it was done to worked the magic, except that it wasn't done to the spirit, which didn't die and one doubts whether it felt a thing as the body of Jesus the man was nailed up.

Yes, I'm thankful to be an atheist as I don't have to try to make sense out of what makes no sense, or simply switch to Faith -mode and not worry about whether it makes sense or not.

I'm almost inclined to leave alone the debate on morals inscribed on our hearts which apparently is what stops us eating each other, but I have to observe that this is inscribed on all our hearts even with cultures that had never heard of Jesus (even though some cultures did at times eat humans), but that only means it is an instinct, and even if one credits that to a cosmic creator that wrote instinct on our hearts rather than evolution locking it into our human DNA, it doesn't tell us which particular god or religion can take the credit for it. So, like all these arguments from morality, I don't see it as advancing the case for any organised religion, if that is what the idea is.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #202

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:20 pm Should I become an atheist and why?

What are the benefits, practices, beliefs? Any good conversion stories?
Ought you change your beliefs? Is that possible for you? Did you decide to be a Theist? If so, then I would highly encourage you to choose to be an atheist and if you don't like it, choose to be a Theist again. I don't see the problem, if you can choose what you believe. I can't imagine God being offended, in fact, He might be flattered that you came back.

There are many benefits that you will be aware of the moment you stop believing in a God. Just do it and see. Let us know what you've discovered.

No practices or beliefs I am aware of, but you could become a Humanist, which does have beliefs and practices.

My story is not good - or bad.

So, let us know how it goes. How long do you think you'll decide to stop believing in God? A day, week, year? Why not give it at least a month?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #203

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Clownboat wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:31 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:20 pm I dont think you understand. I fully recognize humans dont struggle with eating people. Even the law is written on the hearts of gentiles (Romans), and all humans are created in the image of God (Genesis).
You seem bewildered that atheists are not eating people,
Oh man, I just poured that coffee.

:wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin