Is homosexuality inherently harmful?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Wyn Morrigan

Is homosexuality inherently harmful?

Post #1

Post by Wyn Morrigan »

In another topic ( Is patriarchy inherently wrong? ), mms20102 and I strayed a bit off topic to the question of whether homosexuality is harmful to the participants in itself, and per their suggestion, I have moved that aspect of the discussion to another thread.
mms20102 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:06 am
Every major medical and psychological research and treatment organization in the world agrees that homosexuality is a real, natural phenomenon, and that there are individuals who are attracted only to individuals of the same sex, though I'm not going to waste my time finding lists of all of them. Psychologists used to consider homosexuality a mental disorder - but they don't anymore.

And to be sure, I am not telling you that science is infallible; scientists make mistakes all the time.
But what I am telling you is that international scientific organizations, and large groups of scientists and researchers? Don't like to change their mind on established science. If they do, it will mean that many of them have wasted years or decades of their lives in irrelevant research.
They only reverse themselves on previous established theory when presented with overwhelming mountains of evidence they cannot ignore.

I'm not saying that science is never wrong; what I AM saying is that if large bodies of scientific researchers pull a complete 180? change their minds completely upon a specific point or theory?
It is possible that they are still wrong. But it is an effective certainty that they were wrong.
They call what you just said Bandwagon Fallacy. Where you are basing your argument on the majority of people accepting it other than focusing on the idea itself.
You disagreed with all the overwhelming studies of past but you are only agreeing with current studies only because it fits your personal preference not because it shows real evidence.
Yes organizations and psychologists had to do this because some idiots used wrong methods to identify homosexuality and wrong methods to treat it (Thanks to the church and pastors) and in return we have some psychologists that made a great work for the favor of making homosexuals understand their probem and engage back in hetrosexual relationships.
and I will mention two books that I don't expect you to read but only for the sake telling you that what you think is not the ultimate truth:
1- Battle for Normality by Gerard J.M. van den Aardweg (about gay relationships)
2- The Heart of Female Same-Sex Attraction Janelle Hallman (about lesbian relationships)

Of course not to mention the health problems and risks happened due to out of marriage and same-sex relationships

now do you know that only the attempt of helping homosexual get rid of his feelings is considered as crime ?
Not only homosexuality was forced to be normal for political reasons but also people who seek treatment are ignored and forcedly pushed to stay homosexual.

I'm not here to discuss homosexuality so if you want to discuss it then open another thread since this thread speaks about patriarchy which you avoid speaking about.
We also strayed to the related question of whether having same-sex parents is harmful to children:
Looking over your response, it appears that you believe that...
Such women <Note - this is referring to women in same-sex marriages who have children> should break apart a happy marriage and traumatize their children in order to take a long shot in the dating lottery that they can find a man who would be a better provider for them and their children?
And you think this would be less harmful to them and/or their children?
As a Muslim yes they should not use sperm of unknown men to have children that they don't know who is their real father and live in house without a father where they are fully prone to psychological disorders due to the lack of a father.

And you can check those sites here to see what are the risks and again those are few out of many

https://oureverydaylife.com/psychologic ... 41414.html
https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/P ... t-A-Father
https://drprem.com/globalhealthcare/fat ... -on-a-girl
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... her-hunger

Now you will argue as long they are two the child won't feel the difference this child has a different opinion
https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/six-da ... u1ue5.html
Topics for debate:
1) Are homosexual relationships inherently harmful to the involved partners?
2) Is having parents of the same sex inherently harmful to children?

Miles
Savant

Re: Is homosexuality inherently harmful?

Post #41

Post by Miles »

Just as an FYI.

LGBT and the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)

DSM-I (1952)
Homosexuality is listed as a sociopathic personality disturbance.

DSM-II (1968)
Homosexuality continues to be listed as a mental disorder

DSM-II (1974)
Homosexuality is no longer listed as a category of disorder. The diagnosis is replaced with the category of “sexual orientation disturbance”.

DSM-III (1980)

The diagnosis of ego-dystonic homosexuality* replaces the DSM-II category of “sexual orientation disturbance.” Introduces gender identity disorder.

DSM-III-R (1987)

Ego-dystonic homosexuality is removed and replaced by “sexual disorder not otherwise specified,” which can include “persistent and marked distress about one’s sexual orientation.”

DSM-V

Includes a separate, non-mental disorder diagnoses of gender dysphoria to describer people who experience significant distress with the sex and gender they were assigned at birth.
source

* "ego-dystonic homosexuality": "If one's sexual orientation or attractions are at odds with their idealized self-image, causing anxiety and a desire to change their orientation or become more comfortable with it."
source: Wikipedia.

Keep in mind that those who are quite content with their homosexuality would not fall into any homosexual DSM category.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by JoeyKnothead »

The greatest harm caused by homosexuality is the way the haters react to it.

I've never walked me by a gay guy scared he'd cause me harm. There's plenty far right wing zealots I'd cross the road to avoid.

I'm just kinda a little bit upset the gay guys don't talk me up :|
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Sallymilr

Post #43

Post by Sallymilr »

The consensus among major medical and psychological organizations is that homosexuality is a natural variation of human sexuality and not a mental disorder. There is no evidence to suggest that same-sex relationships are inherently harmful to the involved partners. Similarly, research on children raised by same-sex parents has shown that they are not at a disadvantage compared to children raised by opposite-sex parents in terms of mental health, academic achievement, or social behavior.

It is important to note that any relationship, regardless of sexual orientation, can be unhealthy or harmful if it involves abuse, neglect, or lack of consent. However, this is not a feature unique to same-sex relationships. The focus should be on ensuring that all individuals are in safe and healthy relationships, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by boatsnguitars »

Sallymilr wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:44 am The consensus among major medical and psychological organizations is that homosexuality is a natural variation of human sexuality and not a mental disorder. There is no evidence to suggest that same-sex relationships are inherently harmful to the involved partners. Similarly, research on children raised by same-sex parents has shown that they are not at a disadvantage compared to children raised by opposite-sex parents in terms of mental health, academic achievement, or social behavior.

It is important to note that any relationship, regardless of sexual orientation, can be unhealthy or harmful if it involves abuse, neglect, or lack of consent. However, this is not a feature unique to same-sex relationships. The focus should be on ensuring that all individuals are in safe and healthy relationships, regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
Yep, the only reason this question exists is because ancient men wrote it down, and not only wrote that homosexuality was icky, but that it should be violently, murderously dealt with - and people today choose to agree with them. It's horrible.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #45

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:53 pm* "ego-dystonic homosexuality": "If one's sexual orientation or attractions are at odds with their idealized self-image, causing anxiety and a desire to change their orientation or become more comfortable with it."
source: Wikipedia.
Weird how we can accept that someone's gender might be at odds with what they're supposed to be, and offer them help to change it, but we can't accept that some gay guys might want to be straight, some straight guys might prefer to be gay, and some women who like men might be better off if they didn't.

Oh, and some ugly women might be getting legitimately mistreated throughout their whole lives and a fraction of the cost of a transgender surgery might solve it. But of course, they just gotta deal.