Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

1. Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus was “a god.” This is how the NWT reads (John 1:1).

Do JW’s believe Jesus was a true or false god?

2. JW’s say Jesus is a created being.

When was Jesus (capital or lower case g) created?

I look forward to your responses to one or both questions.

MissKate13
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

tigger 2
Student

Re: Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #391

Post by tigger 2 »

Let’s examine some other instances of the nouns used in the 5 Sharp’s “Trinity-proof” examples (as proclaimed by Sharp himself: Titus 2:13; 2 Peter 1:1; 2 Thess. 1:12; 1 Tim. 5:21; Eph. 5:5.

(1) The critical part of the “Trinity-proof” of 1 Tim. 5:21 is “Christ Jesus.” If this part of the verse in question had the definite article with it, it would no longer be in a “Sharp’s construction” and there would be no “grammatical” argument for trinitarians. But, since this part has no definite article (“in sight of the God and of Christ Jesus”), some trinitarians tell us it refers to the same person as the first half of the statement (“the God”).

But notice that Paul (and other NT writers) most often used “Christ Jesus” without the definite article!

As an example, 1 Tim. 4:6 says in the NT Greek: “you will be servant of Christ Jesus.” This is rendered: “you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus” - RSV. We see here, as in a majority of uses by Paul, that “Christ Jesus” does not need the article in the first place, so to conclude that its proper absence in a “Sharp’s construction” shows some special significance is specious and misleading!

Now let’s also examine 1 Tim. 6:13. In the NT Greek it says: “in sight of the God the (one) generating alive the all (things) and of Christ Jesus the (one) having borne witness upon Pontius Pilate.” This is rendered: “before God who gives life to all, and before Christ Jesus who gave a fearless testimony before Pontius Pilate” - LB.

Notice that, as usual, “Christ Jesus” does not have the article with it. But also notice that, even though it is in a “sharp’s construction,” context clearly shows Paul is considering these as two completely separate individuals! (Compare KJV.)

In fact, the phrase ‘Jesus Christ’ (and ‘Christ Jesus’) should be carefully analyzed in each of the 5 letters which contain the trinitarian (Sharp’s Rule) ‘proof’ that Jesus is God: Ephesians; 2 Thessalonians; 1 Timothy; Titus; and 2 Peter.

In Ephesians ‘Christ Jesus’/‘Jesus Christ’ is used 18 times, and in 16 of these it is without the definite article. 16/18 = 89% of the time that the phrase is used without a definite article!
In 2 Thessalonians ‘Jesus Christ’ is used 9 times and every one of them is without the article. 9/9 = 100% of the time that the phrase is used without a definite article!
In 1 Timothy there are 14 uses of ‘Christ Jesus’/‘Jesus Christ’ and every one of them is without the article. 14/14 = 100% of the time that the phrase is used without a definite article!
In Titus there are 4 uses of ‘Jesus Christ’/‘Christ Jesus’ and every one of them is without the article. 4/4 = 100% of the time that the phrase is used without a definite article!
In 2 Peter there are 8 uses of ‘Jesus Christ’ and every one of them is without the article. 8/8 = 100% of the time that the phrase is used without a definite article!

So, in all of these inspired letters by Paul and Peter there are 51 times (out of a total of 53) where the phrase “Jesus Christ”/“Christ Jesus” is used without a definite article. 51/53 = 96% of the time that the phrase is used without a definite article!

For anyone to pretend to find any great significance in the fact that “Christ Jesus” is without an article when it follows an articular noun is truly amazing. It would be much more surprising to actually find a few examples where it had the article with it!
(2) The critical part of the “trinity-proof” of 2 Thess. 1:12 is “Lord Jesus Christ.” Since this part has no definite article in the NT Greek, some trinitarians tell us it must refer to the same person as the first half of the statement (“the God of us”). But notice that Paul (and other NT writers) often used “Lord Jesus Christ” WITHOUT the article. Some examples are Ro. 1:7 (“peace from God Father of us and of Lord Jesus Christ”); 2 Cor. 1:2; Eph. 6:23; Phil. 1:2; Col. 3:17; 2 Thess. 1:1; 1:2; 3:12; Philemon :3; James 1:1.

Philippians 3:20 in the NT Greek says: “also Savior we are eagerly awaiting Lord Jesus Christ,” and this is rendered in the King James Version as: “also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ.” Since “the Lord Jesus Christ” was often written without the article, it should come as no surprise that occasionally (in accordance with the law of averages) a “Sharp’s Rule” construction would sometimes occur and would be no more meaningful to the writer than any other use of “the Lord Jesus Christ” with or without the article.

(3) The critical part of the “trinity-proof” of Titus 2:13 and 2 Peter 1:1 is “Savior.” Since this part has no definite article, some trinitarians tell us it must refer to the same person as the first half of the statement (“the God”). But notice again that Paul (and other NT writers) also used “Savior” without the article. Examples are: Phil. 3:20 (which we also examined above in #2); 1 John 4:14 (which says, “The Father has sent off the Son Savior of the world” in the NT Greek and which the KJV renders as “the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.”)
Since “Savior” was also written without the article even when understood to be “The Savior,” it should come as no surprise that occasionally (in accordance with the law of averages) a “Sharp’s Rule” construction would sometimes occur and would be no more meaningful to the writer than any other use of “the Savior” with or without the article.

So, we can see that even if we disregard the grammatical reasons for such usage, the NT writers frequently did use the critical terms found in the 5 “Sharp’s Rule” trinity examples both with and without the article (whether in a “Sharp’s construction” or not)! This alone makes “Sharp’s Rule” absolutely worthless.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #392

Post by boatsnguitars »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:14 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:11 am
onewithhim wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:04 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #341]

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" (Psalm 53:1)
I've flagged your post. You're literally calling me a fool. Rude.

Matthew 5:22
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

See you in Hell.
Are you a brother or sister of Christ? If not there is no judgement. Plus those were not OWH's words, those words came from the Bible, if you don't like what is written there then don't read it.
I highly doubt OWH is angry with you either. Most likely they feel pity for those that say in their heart, 'there is no God'.
Seems your Bible says differently. Again, see you in Hell.

2 Thessalonians 3:15
Do not regard him as an enemy, but keep admonishing him as a [believing] brother.

“The Christian must treat his enemy as a brother, and requite his hostility with love. His behavior must be determined not by the way others treat him, but by the treatment he himself receives from Jesus; it has only one source, and that is the will of Jesus.”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Of course, that's not in the Bible, so you'll reject it.
I do find it perplexing when an atheist tries to use the Bible in their defense though and then goes further to condemn someone to fiery hell. A place they don't believe exists and neither does the person they are condemning.
If we don't use the Bible, you guys claim, "Meh, it's not from the Bible, so we don't care."
Just trying to reach you through the only way you seem willing to engage.

I'm trying to save you. I love you. I hate seeing you guys ruin your lives.

I'd, personally, never call you a fool.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #393

Post by 2timothy316 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:43 am
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:14 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:11 am
onewithhim wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:04 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #341]

"The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" (Psalm 53:1)
I've flagged your post. You're literally calling me a fool. Rude.

Matthew 5:22
But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.

See you in Hell.
Are you a brother or sister of Christ? If not there is no judgement. Plus those were not OWH's words, those words came from the Bible, if you don't like what is written there then don't read it.
I highly doubt OWH is angry with you either. Most likely they feel pity for those that say in their heart, 'there is no God'.
Seems your Bible says differently. Again, see you in Hell.

2 Thessalonians 3:15
Do not regard him as an enemy, but keep admonishing him as a [believing] brother.
Ecc 9:5 "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all."
There is no hell.

Do you know why the book of Thessalonians an others like it are named the way they are? They are letters to Christian congregations in those cites. These letters are from Christians to Christians. Are you a Christian admonishing to another Christian? No. This quote from Paul's letter to the Thessalonian Christian congregation doesn't apply to you. You are not my spiritual brother. Do you want to be?
“The Christian must treat his enemy as a brother, and requite his hostility with love. His behavior must be determined not by the way others treat him, but by the treatment he himself receives from Jesus; it has only one source, and that is the will of Jesus.”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Of course, that's not in the Bible, so you'll reject it.
I didn't realize you were my enemy, but ok.

You're correct what you quoted I reject. The Bible says, "Honor men of all sorts, have love for the whole association of brothers, be in fear of God, honor the king." 1 Pe 2:17

You are not my brother and I didn't know until now that we are enemies. Unless you want to stop being enemies and become my brother and fear God like me and my spiritual brothers and sisters. Otherwise, I do have to treat you like a spiritual brother.
I do find it perplexing when an atheist tries to use the Bible in their defense though and then goes further to condemn someone to fiery hell. A place they don't believe exists and neither does the person they are condemning.
If we don't use the Bible, you guys claim, "Meh, it's not from the Bible, so we don't care."
Just trying to reach you through the only way you seem willing to engage.
Your use of the Bible holds no weight. You're not trying to strengthen my faith in God but trying to damage it.
I'm trying to save you. I love you. I hate seeing you guys ruin your lives.
I'm trying to do the same.
You could live forever. But you claim, 'Meh, its from the Bible, so I don't care'.
My life is great! I love my life.
I'd, personally, never call you a fool.
I wouldn't care if you did. I've been called a lot worse. I used to think there was no God and I was a fool to think it.
I'd never say 'see you in hell' to anyone.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #394

Post by boatsnguitars »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:07 am I used to think there was no God and I was a fool to think it.
The quote says that a fool says it. That is, according to your text, you are still a fool.
― Omar Khayyâm

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #395

Post by 2timothy316 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:14 am
2timothy316 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:07 am I used to think there was no God and I was a fool to think it.
The quote says that a fool says it. That is, according to your text, you are still a fool.
The scripture says, 'says it in his heart'. I don't say that to myself anymore so I don't apply that scripture to me concerning belief in God.

You're free of course to view the text however you want. And view me however you want. IDC.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #396

Post by boatsnguitars »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:00 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:14 am
The scripture says, 'says it in his heart'. I don't say that to myself anymore so I don't apply that scripture to me concerning belief in God.

You're free of course to view the text however you want. And view me however you want. IDC.
Thank you, I will then.
― Omar Khayyâm

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #397

Post by Difflugia »

I was just binge watching some Tom Scott videos on YouTube and ran across two that seem quite relevant to this thread and Granville Sharp's rule. In a nutshell, it seems to me they're all just saying the same thing I try to keep in mind: authors want to be understood. Occasionally, the author misses some ambiguity and a language construction is difficult to understand, but if one's theological apologetic consistently relies on such ambiguities being resolved in non-obvious ways, then perhaps the apologetic arguments simply aren't respecting the authors themselves.

My pronouns are he, him, and his.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #398

Post by JehovahsWitness »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:10 pm

POST #3 How do various translations render John 1:1 ?
viewtopic.php?p=1111348#p1111348

POST # 76How should John 1:1 be properly translated?
viewtopic.php?p=1112024#p1112024

POST #13 What did Paul mean when he refered to Jesus as the "firstborn of all creation" (Col 1:15)?
viewtopic.php?p=1111525#p1111525

MissKate13 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:05 pm JESUS = YHWH

Proof # 1

10 “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn. (Zechariah 12:10)
EXPLAINED : Who is pierced in Zechariah 12:10 ?( post #112)
viewtopic.php?p=1112235#p1112235

MissKate13 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:05 pm This is how Jesus could say, “I and My Father are one. (John 10:30)
EXPLAINED : John 10:30: What did Jesus mean by My father and I are one?
viewtopic.php?p=1112220#p1112220

MissKate13 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:12 am
Proof # 2

...YHWH is the first and last. Jesus is THE FIRST AND LAST
EXPLAINED : Who is "The first and the Last" ? ( post #146)
viewtopic.php?p=1112353#p1112353

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:42 am Proof # 3
BOTH are the first and last. BOTH are redeemer. [...] BOTH are YHWH!
EXPLAINED : How is it that BOTH Jesus and YHWH are called "The first and the Last" without them being the same person ? ( post #163)
viewtopic.php?p=1112478#p1112478

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:42 am13 “looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.... (Titus 2:13-14)
EXPLAINED :Does Paul call Jesus "our God and Saviour" at Titius 2:13? ( post #161)

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:14 pm Proof # 4

24 “... “I am the LORD, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who by Myself spread out the earth,” (Isaiah 44:24 )
EXPLAINED : How could Jesus be with God during creation if Isaiah 44:24 says YHWH was "ALONE" ?( post #170)
viewtopic.php?p=1112561#p1112561

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:17 pm Proof # 5

In the Old Testament, YHWH says, There is no Savior BESIDES ME (Isaiah 43:10; Hosea 13:4)
EXPLAINED : How could be our savior if Hosea 13:4 says "There is no Savior BESIDES ME" ?( post #173)
viewtopic.php?p=1112572#p1112572

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:59 am Proof # 6

Jesus is EVERLASTING

Micah 5:2 The prophet is speaking of Jesus whose goings forth are from old, from EVERLASTING
EXPLAINED : Does Micah 5:2 mean Jesus had no beginning ?( post #181)
viewtopic.php?p=1112696#p1112696

INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

onewithhim
Savant

Post #399

Post by onewithhim »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:08 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:10 pm

POST #3 How do various translations render John 1:1 ?
viewtopic.php?p=1111348#p1111348

POST # 76How should John 1:1 be properly translated?
viewtopic.php?p=1112024#p1112024

POST #13 What did Paul mean when he refered to Jesus as the "firstborn of all creation" (Col 1:15)?
viewtopic.php?p=1111525#p1111525

MissKate13 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:05 pm JESUS = YHWH

Proof # 1

10 “And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn. (Zechariah 12:10)
EXPLAINED : Who is pierced in Zechariah 12:10 ?( post #112)
viewtopic.php?p=1112235#p1112235

MissKate13 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:05 pm This is how Jesus could say, “I and My Father are one. (John 10:30)
EXPLAINED : John 10:30: What did Jesus mean by My father and I are one?
viewtopic.php?p=1112220#p1112220

MissKate13 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:12 am
Proof # 2

...YHWH is the first and last. Jesus is THE FIRST AND LAST
EXPLAINED : Who is "The first and the Last" ? ( post #146)
viewtopic.php?p=1112353#p1112353

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:42 am Proof # 3
BOTH are the first and last. BOTH are redeemer. [...] BOTH are YHWH!
EXPLAINED : How is it that BOTH Jesus and YHWH are called "The first and the Last" without them being the same person ? ( post #163)
viewtopic.php?p=1112478#p1112478

MissKate13 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:42 am13 “looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.... (Titus 2:13-14)
EXPLAINED :Does Paul call Jesus "our God and Saviour" at Titius 2:13? ( post #161)

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:14 pm Proof # 4

24 “... “I am the LORD, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens, who by Myself spread out the earth,” (Isaiah 44:24 )
EXPLAINED : How could Jesus be with God during creation if Isaiah 44:24 says YHWH was "ALONE" ?( post #170)
viewtopic.php?p=1112561#p1112561

MissKate13 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:17 pm Proof # 5

In the Old Testament, YHWH says, There is no Savior BESIDES ME (Isaiah 43:10; Hosea 13:4)
EXPLAINED : How could be our savior if Hosea 13:4 says "There is no Savior BESIDES ME" ?( post #173)
viewtopic.php?p=1112572#p1112572

MissKate13 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:59 am Proof # 6

Jesus is EVERLASTING

Micah 5:2 The prophet is speaking of Jesus whose goings forth are from old, from EVERLASTING
EXPLAINED : Does Micah 5:2 mean Jesus had no beginning ?( post #181)
viewtopic.php?p=1112696#p1112696

I will be interested to see how MissKate responds to JehovahsWitness' explanations.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #400

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Well there are an abundances of resources debunking the so-called "trinity" texts...

RELATED POSTS
Did Jesus ever claim equality with God?
viewtopic.php?p=1128967#p1128967

Did Jesus blaspheme by claiming to be "God's son"?
viewtopic.php?p=1128991#p1128991

How should PHILIPPIANS 2:5-6 [ properly be understood ?] "he did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped"]
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 98#p872798

Does Jesus saying that God "lived in him" [JOHN 14:10] amount to a claim to equality with God?
viewtopic.php?p=1128982#p1128982
To learn more please go to to other posts related to ...

GOD, JESUS and ...THE "TRINITY TEXTS" DEBUNKED
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8