Republicans: What's going on with your Party?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Republicans: What's going on with your Party?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Can Republicans explain what the *^%$ is going on in the GOP?

Let's face it, there are some real wackos in that party making a lot of headlines, and they seem to be fixated on Trans and Gay people. Is this what the Party of Lincoln has become? Trump, Boebert, Greene, Santos, Lake... I mean, I'll be here forever mentioning all the wierdness in the GOP.

Can you help me make sense of it?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: Republicans: What's going on with your Party?

Post #2

Post by Athetotheist »

boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:34 am Can Republicans explain what the *^%$ is going on in the GOP?

Let's face it, there are some real wackos in that party making a lot of headlines, and they seem to be fixated on Trans and Gay people. Is this what the Party of Lincoln has become? Trump, Boebert, Greene, Santos, Lake... I mean, I'll be here forever mentioning all the wierdness in the GOP.

The GOP is indeed a bastion of insanity these days, but I would caution against focusing exclusively on it. The Republican party wouldn't be able to do nearly as much as it's been getting away with without the bourgeois neoliberalism of the Democrat party letting it do so.

It's important to remember that the two-party system is a unit. Just look at the Commission on Presidential Debates, created and run by the two major parties themselves, which gives them control over who gets to participate----and gives us no choice other than them.

Letting ourselves be polarized keeps us powerless. I'm a big believer in abolishing our two-party political system.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:26 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:34 am Can Republicans explain what the *^%$ is going on in the GOP?

The GOP is indeed a bastion of insanity these days, but I would caution against focusing exclusively on it. The Republican party wouldn't be able to do nearly as much as it's been getting away with without the bourgeois neoliberalism of the Democrat party letting it do so.
So you think the Democratic party should handhold the GOP so it can function without falling on its face. I agree it would no doubt help, but don't sit up nights waiting for it to happen. The party has proven how incredibly dysfunctional it is, and will undoubtedly crash under the weight of its incompetence and self-serving interests.

Besides, I'm rather enjoying watching it self-destruct. :mrgreen:

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Miles in post #3
So you think the Democratic party should handhold the GOP so it can function without falling on its face.
I think you've misunderstood me. I don't expect the Democrat party to "handhold" the GOP (I refuse to call it the "Democratic" party; it's no more democratic than the Republican party is), but the D-party has consistently indicated that it's more interested in keeping the duopoly intact----and in holding onto its own corporate donors----than it is in actually opposing GOP extremes.

The Barbarian
Sage

Post #5

Post by The Barbarian »

Seems like there's been a major shift in GOP objectives. They've stopped talking about drag queens and Hunter's laptop, and moved on to "woke."

I'm not actually sure what "woke" is, but apparently, it's now become a term for "something I don't understand, that scares me."

Most notably, the failure of a major bank was not because Trump and the republicans (with the help of a few democrats) weakened rules meant to keep banks solvent, but because the bank became "woke."

Which in this case, meant "failed to keep adequate controls, because Dodd/Frank was weakened in 2018."

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

The Barbarian wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:32 am Seems like there's been a major shift in GOP objectives. They've stopped talking about drag queens and Hunter's laptop, and moved on to "woke."

I'm not actually sure what "woke" is, but apparently, it's now become a term for "something I don't understand, that scares me."

Most notably, the failure of a major bank was not because Trump and the republicans (with the help of a few democrats) weakened rules meant to keep banks solvent, but because the bank became "woke."

Which in this case, meant "failed to keep adequate controls, because Dodd/Frank was weakened in 2018."
"Woke" means you are aware of the struggles of People of Color. That you are aware of the existence of systemic racism (overt or covert).

Clearly something the Right wants to remain ignorant of.
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by boatsnguitars »

Trump has gained support in the aftermath of the Sexual Assault case and his disastrous townhall. Republicans are defending Santos, they elevate Greene to advisory positions, and continue to attack Democrats for trying to defend trans children.
Meanwhile, the GOP refuses to raise the debt limit - which will hurt everyone with a loan - basically everyone.
Say what you want about Dems, but I can't see a greater threat to America than the GOP.
― Omar Khayyâm

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #7
Say what you want about Dems, but I can't see a greater threat to America than the GOP.
What should be said about the Dems is that they're an impotent force at best. They could have stopped all this if they had really been dedicated to doing so, but apparently the preservation of the corporate-friendly two-party fiasco is more important to them than doing what they were elected to do. The Dems have made the GOP into the threat it is with their inaction. They sit on their hands spouting the drivel of "bipartisan consensus" while extremists of various stripes keep society divided and voices of unity among the people are ignored. The anti-nazi factions of 1930's Germany are looked on with disdain by today's American Left for their failure to unite into a powerful force, but the stubborn egotism of those same Leftists has them doing the same and they won't admit it even to themselves.

In the 1980's, the GOP tried to sell us trickle-down economics. "Changing the system from within" is trickle-down government reform. Trying to get anything beneficial passed through a Congress controlled by two corporate parties is just trying to use a broken system to fix the broken system. It will never work; it's like trying to drive your car to the mechanic to have it fixed because it won't start.

The two-party system has failed. It should be scrapped and replaced with a more democratically robust multiparty system----or political parties should be abolished altogether.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by boatsnguitars »

Athetotheist wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:13 pm [Replying to boatsnguitars in post #7
What should be said about the Dems is that they're an impotent force at best. They could have stopped all this if they had really been dedicated to doing so, but apparently the preservation of the corporate-friendly two-party fiasco is more important to them than doing what they were elected to do. The Dems have made the GOP into the threat it is with their inaction. They sit on their hands spouting the drivel of "bipartisan consensus" while extremists of various stripes keep society divided and voices of unity among the people are ignored. The anti-nazi factions of 1930's Germany are looked on with disdain by today's American Left for their failure to unite into a powerful force, but the stubborn egotism of those same Leftists has them doing the same and they won't admit it even to themselves.

In the 1980's, the GOP tried to sell us trickle-down economics. "Changing the system from within" is trickle-down government reform. Trying to get anything beneficial passed through a Congress controlled by two corporate parties is just trying to use a broken system to fix the broken system. It will never work; it's like trying to drive your car to the mechanic to have it fixed because it won't start.

The two-party system has failed. It should be scrapped and replaced with a more democratically robust multiparty system----or political parties should be abolished altogether.
The problem is that we saw what happens when a Third Party gains popularity in the USA: Trumpism.
― Omar Khayyâm

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #9
The problem is that we saw what happens when a Third Party gains popularity in the USA: Trumpism.
Trumpism didn't come out of any third party. Trump threatened to start a third party and GOP leaders caved to him because they were afraid of abandonment by their constituents.

The leaders of the D-party don't have to fear the same happening to them because Democrats are eiither good little tin solldiers who follow the marching orders of their party leaders without question or are content to sit at microphones and keyboards and complain uselessly without doing anything to change their party.
Last edited by Athetotheist on Sun May 14, 2023 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.