Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Simple Test to see if Christians are really Followers of Christ

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

One thing about Christianity is the amazing lengths Jesus went to to tell his followers to be magnanimous. He died for all our sins, even mine, even yours, so it's a small thing to ask followers of Jesus to go a little out of their way for others. In fact, Jesus codified it in some of the most remarkable sayings ever attributed to an individual (go to the bottom to see the test):
Matthew 5:40-44
40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak also. 41 Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. 42 Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 5:38-42-43-47 The Message (MSG)
“Here’s another old saying that deserves a second look: ‘Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.’ Is that going to get us anywhere? Here’s what I propose: ‘Don’t hit back at all.’ If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously. “You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the supple moves of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.

Matthew 5:40-44 New Century Version (NCV)
If someone wants to sue you in court and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. If someone forces you to go with him one mile, go with him two miles. If a person asks you for something, give it to him. Don’t refuse to give to someone who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemies.’ But I say to you, love your enemies. Pray for those who hurt you.

Matthew 5:40-44 King James Version (KJV)
And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you

Matthew 5:40-44 New American Standard Bible - NASB 1995 (NASB1995)
If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

Matthew 5:40-44 New King James Version (NKJV)
If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you

Matthew 5:40-44 American Standard Version (ASV)
And if any man would go to law with thee, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy: but I say unto you, Love your enemies, and pray for them that persecute you

Matthew 5:40-44 The Passion Translation (TPT)
If someone is determined to sue you for your coat, give him the shirt off your back as a gift in return. And should people in authority take advantage of you, do more than what they demand. Learn to generously share what you have with those who ask for help, and don’t close your heart to the one who comes to borrow from you.” “Your ancestors have also been taught ‘Love your neighbors and hate the one who hates you.’ However, I say to you, love your enemy, bless the one who curses you, do something wonderful for the one who hates you, and respond to the very ones who persecute you by praying for them.

Matthew 5:40-44 Amplified Bible (AMP)
If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also [for the Lord repays the offender]. And whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR (fellow man) and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love [that is, unselfishly seek the best or higher good for] your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

Matthew 5:40-44 New International Version (NIV)
And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you

Matthew 5:40-44 English Standard Version 2016 (ESV)
And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Matthew 6:25-34
New International Version
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Luke 10:29-37
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.
31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.
32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.
34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.
35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.” Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Acts 20:35. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'”

The Widow’s Offering
41 Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents.

43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”

Matthew 16:24 ESV / 14 helpful votes
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Mark 10:21 ESV / 9 helpful votes
And Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

John 8:12 ESV / 8 helpful votes
Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

John 14:6 ESV / 7 helpful votes
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Mark 8:34 ESV / 7 helpful votes
And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

Matthew 9:9 ESV / 6 helpful votes
As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him.

Matthew 4:19 ESV / 6 helpful votes
And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

John 21:19 ESV / 5 helpful votes
(This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”

John 16:13 ESV / 5 helpful votes
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

John 12:26 ESV / 5 helpful votes
If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.

John 10:27 ESV / 5 helpful votes
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.

John 3:16 ESV / 5 helpful votes
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 1:43 ESV / 5 helpful votes
The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, “Follow me.”

Luke 14:27 ESV / 5 helpful votes
Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.

Luke 9:23 ESV / 5 helpful votes
And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

Mark 2:14 ESV / 5 helpful votes
And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him.

Matthew 28:19-20 ESV / 5 helpful votes
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Matthew 19:21 ESV / 5 helpful votes
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Matthew 10:38 ESV / 5 helpful votes
And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

Matthew 8:22 ESV / 5 helpful votes
And Jesus said to him, “Follow me, and leave the dead to bury their own dead.”

1 Peter 2:21 ESV / 4 helpful votes
For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

1 Corinthians 11:1 ESV / 4 helpful votes
Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

John 21:22 ESV / 4 helpful votes
Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!”

John 8:58 ESV / 4 helpful votes
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

John 8:31 ESV / 4 helpful votes
So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples,

John 3:16-17 ESV / 4 helpful votes
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

John 3:3 ESV / 4 helpful votes
Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

Mark 1:17 ESV / 4 helpful votes
And Jesus said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men.”

Matthew 7:21-23 ESV / 4 helpful votes
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

John 1:1 ESV / 3 helpful votes
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Luke 18:22 ESV / 3 helpful votes
When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “One thing you still lack. Sell all that you have and distribute to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Luke 6:46 ESV / 3 helpful votes
“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?

Luke 5:27 ESV / 3 helpful votes
After this he went out and saw a tax collector named Levi, sitting at the tax booth. And he said to him, “Follow me.”

Matthew 19:28 ESV / 3 helpful votes
Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

Matthew 7:13-14 ESV / 3 helpful votes
“Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Matthew 6:24 ESV / 3 helpful votes
“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

Matthew 5:16 ESV / 3 helpful votes
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 4:18-20 ESV / 3 helpful votes
While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Immediately they left their nets and followed him.

Genesis 1:26 ESV / 3 helpful votes
Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

Revelation 21:3 ESV / 2 helpful votes
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.

Revelation 3:21 ESV / 2 helpful votes
The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.

Revelation 3:20 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Revelation 3:12 ESV / 2 helpful votes
The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name.

Revelation 3:7 ESV / 2 helpful votes
“And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: ‘The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens.

Revelation 3:5 ESV / 2 helpful votes
The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels.

Revelation 2:26 ESV / 2 helpful votes
The one who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations,

Revelation 2:18 ESV / 2 helpful votes
“And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write: ‘The words of the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and whose feet are like burnished bronze.

Revelation 2:17 ESV / 2 helpful votes
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it.’

Revelation 2:11 ESV / 2 helpful votes
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death.’

Revelation 2:7 ESV / 2 helpful votes
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.’

Revelation 1:18 ESV / 2 helpful votes
And the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Jude 1:1-25 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and brother of James, To those who are called, beloved in God the Father and kept for Jesus Christ: May mercy, peace, and love be multiplied to you. Beloved, although I was very eager to write to you about our common salvation, I found it necessary to write appealing to you to contend for the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints. For certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into sensuality and deny our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ. Now I want to remind you, although you once fully knew it, that Jesus, who saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed those who did not believe. ...

3 John 1:1-15 ESV / 2 helpful votes
The elder to the beloved Gaius, whom I love in truth. Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. For I rejoiced greatly when the brothers came and testified to your truth, as indeed you are walking in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, ...

1 John 5:16-17 ESV / 2 helpful votes
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.

1 John 3:3 ESV / 2 helpful votes
And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

1 John 2:3-4 ESV / 2 helpful votes
And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says “I know him” but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him,

2 Peter 2:20 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first.

2 Peter 2:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Forsaking the right way, they have gone astray. They have followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved gain from wrongdoing,

1 Peter 3:18-22 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit, in which he went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison, because they formerly did not obey, when God's patience waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through water. Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers having been subjected to him.

1 Peter 1:14-16 ESV / 2 helpful votes
As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance, but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”

James 3:6-10 ESV / 2 helpful votes
And the tongue is a fire, a world of unrighteousness. The tongue is set among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the entire course of life, and set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.

James 2:20-24 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Hebrews 1:6 ESV / 2 helpful votes
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God's angels worship him.”

Hebrews 1:3 ESV / 2 helpful votes
He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Hebrews 1:1-2 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

Titus 3:5 ESV / 2 helpful votes
He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

2 Timothy 3:12 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted,

1 Timothy 3:14-15 ESV / 2 helpful votes
I hope to come to you soon, but I am writing these things to you so that, if I delay, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, a pillar and buttress of the truth.

2 Thessalonians 3:6 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Now we command you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is walking in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.

Colossians 1:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.

Philippians 3:20 ESV / 2 helpful votes
But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,

Philippians 3:18-19 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.

Philippians 2:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes
That you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,

Philippians 2:12-13 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Galatians 3:24-25 ESV / 2 helpful votes
So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,

Galatians 1:8 ESV / 2 helpful votes
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

2 Corinthians 7:1 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Since we have these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from every defilement of body and spirit, bringing holiness to completion in the fear of God.

2 Corinthians 5:17 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

1 Corinthians 14:37 ESV / 2 helpful votes
If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 11:1-2 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you.

Romans 14:9-13 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living. Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” So then each of us will give an account of himself to God. Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.

Romans 14:9-12 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living. Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we will all stand before the judgment seat of God; for it is written, “As I live, says the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.” So then each of us will give an account of himself to God.

Romans 12:3 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.

Romans 10:9-11 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.”

Romans 6:23 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 5:6-8 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 3:23 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 1:18 ESV / 2 helpful votes
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.

Acts 3:19 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,

Acts 2:38-39 ESV / 2 helpful votes
And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”

Acts 2:4 ESV / 2 helpful votes
And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

John 20:28 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”

John 18:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes
Simon Peter followed Jesus, and so did another disciple. Since that disciple was known to the high priest, he entered with Jesus into the courtyard of the high priest,

John 16:12 ESV / 2 helpful votes
“I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

John 16:2 ESV / 2 helpful votes
They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, the hour is coming when whoever kills you will think he is offering service to God.

John 15:8 ESV / 2 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

John 15:6 ESV / 2 helpful votes
If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

John 15:5 ESV / 2 helpful votes
I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

John 14:26 ESV / 2 helpful votes
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

John 14:15 ESV / 2 helpful votes
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments.
Here is the simple test:
Christians: Give me all your money.

Debate that either you have to give me your money (Matthew 5:40-44), or that you don't love Jesus (John 14:15) and that Jesus was wrong to say you'd be treated this way (2 Timothy 3:12).

(BTW, I'm not a monster. I'll give it back. Luke 6:34)
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Simple Test to see if Christians are really Followers of Christ

Post #2

Post by Eloi »

I see you consider yourself the "tester" of people ...
Do you think you can invent a test to see how truly moral an atheist is?

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by boatsnguitars »

Eloi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:36 pm I see you consider yourself the "tester" of people ...
Yes, give me money and see if I give it back.

Look, I think you see the problem. Jesus is clear. He judges his followers by these actions, he even says that many aren't true followers, they just say, "Lord, Lord..."

But, I didn't choose this religion. Christians chose to believe God himself walked the Earth in the form of Jesus and gave commandments to follow. Christians believe that. Perhaps you once believed it?

Or, at least, you claim you believe it. (Your 'whataboutism' is noted, but turning this back on me won't impress Jesus.)

The great irony is that I've been told forever that people become atheists because they don't want to follow all the commands of Jesus.

John said, "People reject Christ because they love their sin and they hate having it exposed by God’s light."
https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-18- ... ohn-319-21

That following Jesus is too hard - you can expect to be, as the apostles were, persecuted, even killed for the love of Jesus. They just don't want to put in the hard work. Jesus died for them, but they couldn't be bothered to go to church more than an hour a week and say Lord, Lord.

I guess that means Christians like you. It seems many who call themselves Christians don't believe Jesus when he said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Guess they don't want to be blessed by Jesus? Guess they just find it too hard to have Faith in Jesus to provide for them? Guess they just don't really believe.

BTW, I've been in prayer groups and Bible studies, and Christian Summer Camp. It was full of talk of people claiming that they'd do anything for Jesus. That they'd be like Saint Peter and gladly give their life. We all said it at one point.

We all said, "Lord, Lord." But, when it actually came to actually follow ALL of Jesus's commands, none ever did. And you know this is a common conversation among the Faithful. They constantly talk about how weak their faith is, and how much more they need to have Faith in Jesus - but their flesh is weak... And, Lord they try. They want to be so faithful!

But they can't. Why is that? Why can't they trust in Jesus? Why do they find it hard to follow Jesus when they claim it's the great thing in the world?

I'll tell you why every Christian fails this test, and why you do too: You don't really have the Faith you claim to have. You don't really believe.

Well, just before he shifts to the topic of worry, Jesus spoke of money, telling us, “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money” (v. 24).

Keep that in mind as you read verse 25: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?”

In other words, if you’ve chosen to serve God instead of money, and you’ve chosen to love God instead of all the stuff in your house, and you’ve chosen to be devoted to God instead of your stomach, do not worry about these other things. Life in the kingdom of heaven is infinitely more important than food. And our bodies in heaven are infinitely more important than clothes.
https://bible.org/seriespage/lesson-18- ... ohn-319-21

Not my words. That's a Christian pastor reciting the words of your Lord.

Want more from Christians:
https://www.compellingtruth.org/following-Christ.html
Why is following Jesus Christ difficult?
Following Jesus Christ is difficult. In fact, without the grace of God, following Jesus would be impossible (Matthew 19:25–26).

Jesus demands total surrender and complete submission. He will not settle for second place in our lives. Jesus calls us to be willing to give up anything and everything in following Him. Our most intimate family bonds, our careers, our material wealth, even our very own lives must be subordinate to our love and allegiance to Jesus (Matthew 10:37–39; Luke 14:26).

To follow Jesus means to recognize and submit to Him as our Savior, Lord, and God (Luke 2:11; John 20:28).

Following Christ is difficult because it demands not only a willingness to die for Him, but to live for Him through sacrificial service (Romans 12:1; Philippians 1:22).

Following Christ is difficult because it requires self-discipline and God's discipline (1 Corinthians 9:25–27; Hebrews 12:3–11).

In following Christ we must discipline our hearts, minds, and bodies so that we are fighting ready because following Christ also means that we are at war. Followers of Christ are at war with the Devil, the world, and the old sin natures that reside in us (Ephesians 6:11–12; 1 Peter 5:8; John 15:18; 1 John 3:13; Romans 7:21–25; Galatians 5:17).

Following Christ is difficult because it involves suffering (2 Timothy 3:12).

At this point you may see very little cause for rejoicing. However, our encouragement begins as we look to Jesus Christ. He is our high priest who has been tempted in all ways like us, yet did not sin (Hebrews 4:15). Because Christ took on human flesh, He can sympathize with our frailty and weakness. Jesus was a man of sorrows and was acquainted with grief. He knows what it is to be rejected, betrayed, beaten, and even crucified. Jesus, though Himself God, humbled Himself and took on the form of a servant in order to fully obey the Father's will and to give His life as a ransom for many (Philippians 2:8; Matthew 20:28). While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). Whatever difficulties we face or hardships we endure, they cannot be compared to the sufferings of Christ. Jesus alone knows what it is to suffer the punishment for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). Furthermore, Jesus has not left us alone in our difficulties but He has sent His Holy Spirit to dwell within us, guide us, comfort us, pray for us, and strengthen us (John 14:16, 26; John 16:13; 1 Corinthians 2:10; Romans 8:26–27).

Following Jesus is a narrow path (Matthew 7:13–14). In following Christ, we go against our natural, sinful natures and against the fallen and corrupted world system. We live contrary to the reign of Satan and sin in our world (2 Corinthians 4:4; Ephesians 2:1–3), and it can be challenging to go against the natural stream. We are set free from sin, yet also still struggle against it (Romans 7:15—8:2). Waging war against sin is hard, both because of sin's deceptive and alluring draw and the fact that, knowing it only leads to death and is displeasing to God, we hate it so much. The world at large is dead because of sin. In Jesus, we are spiritually alive (Ephesians 2:1–10). We know there is something much better and we yearn for it. We have the light so we more deeply understand the tragedy of the darkness. This understanding is both an encouragement in following Christ and a difficulty in living in this world as a follower of His.

God has granted it to us as a privilege not only to believe in Christ, but to suffer for His sake (Philippians 1:29). It is for our ultimate good and God's ultimate glory that following Jesus is difficult, because those who suffer for Christ will reign Him (2 Timothy 2:12; Romans 8:17). The process of being conformed into the image of Jesus Christ is not always easy or comfortable, but it is always a cause for rejoicing because it results in our maturity in Christ (James 1:2–4). Just as Christ's suffering resulted in His exaltation (Philippians 2:5–11), our sufferings are preparing for us an eternal weight of glory (2 Corinthians 4:17–18). God has promised those who follow Christ that our sufferings are not worth comparing to the glory to be revealed in us. For in heaven, we will be like Jesus, and we will dwell with Jesus forever in a place where there is no pain and no suffering (Philippians 3:20–21; Revelation 21:3–4).
So simple, no? This is your test, as Jesus was tested by Satan himself. I didn't choose your religion, you did.

So, give me your money, please.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Eloi »

Don't blah blah like a machine ...

Again: When you have given me the test to check atheist morality, then I will give you the test to see if you deserve my trust.

Those were my 2 c. contribution to your thread. O:)

Good bye.

POI
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by POI »

Eloi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:36 pm I see you consider yourself the "tester" of people ...
Your attempt at <diverting or deflecting> the presented issue, in the OP, does not go unnoticed :) The title of the post is quite clear. It is a test to see if you are a follower of Christ. If you are a follower of Him, why do you opt not to do what He asks?

One of Jesus's litmus tests for 'morality' looks to stem around giving away most/all possessions and/or wealth. Jesus does not seem to be too fond of possessions and/or wealth at all. Thus, to be safe, and also to demonstrate your faith in Jesus, why not give away the vast majority of your possessions.?.? Give it all to the poor, burn it, or what-have-you.... Just get all of it out of your possession entirely. Jesus will apparently be quite pleased, and it may even demonstrate to Jesus your Faith. Actions speak louder than words... Place your money where your mouth is.... Plus, your possessions/wealth will no longer serve as any distraction(s) from Jesus, since you will not own them any longer. You can then place all your efforts around Jesus, like Jesus wants.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

brunumb
Savant

Post #6

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to POI in post #5]

One way to ensure that you don't fail a test is to avoid taking the test.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

POI
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by POI »

Eloi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:07 pm Again: When you have given me the test to check atheist morality, then I will give you the test to see if you deserve my trust.

Those were my 2 c. contribution to your thread. O:)

Good bye.
Another interesting response... According to you, Jesus does not deserve your trust. Unless you wish to go on record, and demonstrate to Jesus you have given away almost all your possessions?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Eloi in post #4]
Don't blah blah like a machine ...
Moderator Comment

Please keep it civil. Review the forum Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics..
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

Moved to Random Ramblings. Please review the Rules and Tips on starting a debate topic.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:08 pm Your attempt at <diverting or deflecting> the presented issue, in the OP, does not go unnoticed :) The title of the post is quite clear. It is a test to see if you are a follower of Christ. If you are a follower of Him, why do you opt not to do what He asks?
Maybe it should be left for Jesus to decide who are truly his followers? I think this is his requirement:

Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, "If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
John 8:31-32
POI wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:08 pm One of Jesus's litmus tests for 'morality' looks to stem around giving away most/all possessions and/or wealth. Jesus does not seem to be too fond of possessions and/or wealth at all. Thus, to be safe, and also to demonstrate your faith in Jesus, why not give away the vast majority of your possessions.?.? Give it all to the poor, burn it, or what-have-you.... Just get all of it out of your possession entirely. Jesus will apparently be quite pleased, and it may even demonstrate to Jesus your Faith. Actions speak louder than words... Place your money where your mouth is.... Plus, your possessions/wealth will no longer serve as any distraction(s) from Jesus, since you will not own them any longer. You can then place all your efforts around Jesus, like Jesus wants.
It is true that God and Jesus should be higher than any earthly possessions. However, if you want to deprive someone, maybe it should be done directly in real life, not in the internet? As, that is how it happens in the Biblical scripture.