Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Is God's Existence Meaningful?

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

Wootah wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:19 am I suspect that if you can do anything you want then everything is meaningless.
Is God's Existence Meaningful? Are we meaningful to God?

Wootah clearly indicates that if we have Omni-Powers, or complete freedom to do what we want, this would be a meaningless existence. In fact, "everything" would be menaingless, even other people's lives.

So, how does this apply to God? And what is God's purpose? What reason does God have to 'get up in the morning'?

God has already experienced the life of everyone alive, and has lived, with perfect knowledge ever nanosecond in all history, and for all eternity into the future. There is literally nothing God is waiting to see. God isn't curious, isn't waiting to see what happens at Sally's dance recital, or with Ukraine, or with ChatGPT.

It's all known to God. No challenges for his perfect mind, no secrets to discover, no souls to meet.

We don't know how God happened to be this torturous, boring and ridiculous character, but it's what Theists claim exists.

How is this meaningful? How do we have meaning just because a God exists? What does Theism offer us? It sounds like an eternity of being absorbed into a tragic Borg with no goal other than to collect souls to praise it.

Atheism, at least, offers an escape from an eternity of boredom.
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

AquinasForGod
Sage

Re: Is God's Existence Meaningful?

Post #51

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to boatsnguitars in post #1]

The problem I see here is that you are thinking of God as though he is a being among beings but without our limitations. This is not God. God is not a temporal being. God is one eternal act, so it makes no sense to ask why does God get up in the morning? It is not like God has to wait around for things to happen. It is not like God actually created things in some order like first made stars then the earth etc. This is not Classical Theism. This is not Catholicism which is Christianity.

Rather God is one eternal act. Have you ever read anything by Saint Thomas Aquinas about the nature of God? Have you looked into Classical theism at all and how different it is from TBN preachers idea of God?

You could check out David Bently Hart, Ed Feser, Gregory Pine and others to learn about it.

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Re: Is God's Existence Meaningful?

Post #52

Post by boatsnguitars »

I was speaking in parable.

What is the meaning of God's existence? There is none, correct?
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm