ID textbook

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Donray
Guru

ID textbook

Post #1

Post by Donray »

I am trying to find a textbook that explains ID (Intelligent Design). All I can find are anti Evolution. books. Since people want ID taught in schools there must be a textbook. So, can anyone recommend a textbook on ID that does not every try to discredit evolution theory. It should give a timeline and explain for example where Neanderthals and other non-modern humans fit the timeline. If ID thinks there was a flood it should explain the distribution of animals from the ark and also where the different races came from or evolved.

So does ID just try to discredit evolution or is there a real ID theory textbook?

glipsnort

Re: ID textbook

Post #21

Post by glipsnort »

Donray wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:09 pm
glipsnort wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:57 pm
Donray wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:56 pm
glipsnort wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:47 am
Donray wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:36 am No Christin can answer???? I thought Christion believed in ID (creation) theory?

I guess they (religous people) cannot explain their beliefs.
If you think that most Christians believe in ID theory, you need to learn more about the subject.
Are you saying that most Christians don't believe that a god created man and the bible is just myths and does not explain anything about creation?
No. Had I wished to say that, I would have said it. I commented on your statement about (presumably all) Christians believing in 'ID (creation) theory', which is a very specific and niche set of claims related to the Christian doctrine of creation. I very much doubt most Christians have even heard of ID theory much less embraced it. Going by denominational affiliation, most Christians have no problem with the idea that humans evolved. That is, most Christians believe that God created man, that God created every individual man and woman, that humans evolved, and that the Bible is more than just myths. That you think these ideas are contradictory suggests that you really need to learn about the basic issues at play here
first I stated that ID is nothing but creationism rebranded.
Which is correct. More precisely, it's a specific version of creationism rebranded and expanded upon.
And you are saying the Christinas believe in creation and therefore believe in ID.
No, I'm saying that belief in 'creation' -- belief that a creator is responsible for the physical universe -- is not the same thing as 'creationism', which is usually refers to a set of beliefs that includes the rejection of evolution (and sometimes of an old earth).
My point is that Christins want ID (Creation) taught and yet no one can point to a textbook that explains ID without bashing other theory's.
And my point is that you are wrong. Quite wrong on the facts. As I said, the most popular Christian denominations accept evolution, a fact which you have not addressed and one that disproves your claim. There are also plenty of Christian scientists (including me) who have not the slightest use for Intelligent Design theory. As far as I know, only a fringe of Protestant Christians, mostly Americans, want ID taught in schools. If you have evidence otherwise, present it. If not, stop making claims about subjects you haven't bothered to learn about.
Last edited by glipsnort on Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donray
Guru

Post #22

Post by Donray »

glipsnort: So Most Christins believe that man evolved from a common ancestor to humans and apes? For example, most Christians believe the following?

From: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180976807/
The long evolutionary journey that created modern humans began with a single step—or more accurately—with the ability to walk on two legs. One of our earliest-known ancestors, Sahelanthropus, began the slow transition from ape-like movement some six million years ago, but Homo sapiens wouldn’t show up for more than five million years. During that long interim, a menagerie of different human species lived, evolved and died out, intermingling and sometimes interbreeding along the way. As time went on, their bodies changed, as did their brains and their ability to think, as seen in their tools and technologies.

To understand how Homo sapiens eventually evolved from these older lineages of hominins, the group including modern humans and our closest extinct relatives and ancestors, scientists are unearthing ancient bones and stone tools, digging in
to our genes and recreating the changing environments that helped shape our ancestors’ world and guide their evolution.
Most Christians according to you do not believe the bible creation myths? Do I have your position correct?

Miles
Savant

Post #23

Post by Miles »

Donray wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:04 pm glipsnort: So Most Christins believe that man evolved from a common ancestor to humans and apes? For example, most Christians believe the following?

The long evolutionary journey that created modern humans began with a single step—or more accurately—with the ability to walk on two legs. One of our earliest-known ancestors, Sahelanthropus, began the slow transition from ape-like movement some six million years ago, but Homo sapiens wouldn’t show up for more than five million years. During that long interim, a menagerie of different human species lived, evolved and died out, intermingling and sometimes interbreeding along the way. As time went on, their bodies changed, as did their brains and their ability to think, as seen in their tools and technologies.

To understand how Homo sapiens eventually evolved from these older lineages of hominins, the group including modern humans and our closest extinct relatives and ancestors, scientists are unearthing ancient bones and stone tools, digging in
to our genes and recreating the changing environments that helped shape our ancestors’ world and guide their evolution.
Most Christians according to you do not believe the bible creation myths? Do I have your position correct?
Just as a matter of record, ". . . . of Americans in the 12 largest Christian denominations, 89.6% belong to churches that support evolution education! Indeed, many of the statements in Voices [for Evolution (Matsumura 1995)] insist quite strongly that evolution must be included in science education and "creation science" must be excluded."
source

glipsnort

Post #24

Post by glipsnort »

Donray wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:04 pm glipsnort: So Most Christins believe that man evolved from a common ancestor to humans and apes? For example, most Christians believe the following?

Short answer: yes.
Slightly longer answer: Rejection of evolution by Christians is more common in the US than almost anywhere else. Even in the US, roughly half to a clear majority of Christians accept the evolution of humans, although the number depends a lot on how you ask the question (see https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... -about-it/, for example). Recall also that your original claim was that Christians believed in 'ID theory', which is a very specific set of arguments in favor of creationism/against evolution. The vast majority even of creationists have no idea what those arguments are.
Most Christians don't think the Biblical creation story presents accurate historical information. Or at least most Christians for whom this is a live question. I have no idea what, say, a typical Nigerian Christian thinks about the details of creation.