Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Bible Study: Religious Tactics

Post #1

Post by boatsnguitars »

This is going to be a future Bible study. I'd appreciate your thought son how to refine it.
Introduction: Religious organizations have been known to use various tactics to motivate individuals to contribute time and money. Among these tactics are group dynamics, emotional appeal, charismatic leadership, and a sense of purpose. This Study Group will explore these mechanisms and how they are used in religious organizations.

Scripture:
1 Corinthians 12:12-14: "For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit. For the body does not consist of one member but of many."

Matthew 13:3-9: "And he told them many things in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away. Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty."

Hebrews 13:17: "Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you."

Philippians 3:13-14: "Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Discussion:

Group Dynamics: In what ways does being part of a community or group influence our decision to contribute time and money? How can this sense of belonging be both positive and negative? How can we ensure that our involvement in a community is healthy and not manipulative?

Emotional Appeal: How do stories and personal testimonies impact our emotions and decision-making process? How can we discern when emotional appeals are being used in a manipulative way?

Charismatic Leadership: How do charismatic leaders influence our decision to contribute time and money? What is the role of authority in religious organizations? How can we ensure that we are not blindly following a charismatic leader?

Sense of Purpose: In what ways can having a sense of purpose and meaning motivate us to contribute time and money? How can we discern when our sense of purpose is being manipulated? How can we ensure that our sense of purpose is aligned with our values and beliefs?

Conclusion: While religious organizations may use similar tactics to motivate individuals to contribute time and money, it is important to examine these mechanisms critically and ensure that our involvement is healthy and not manipulative. As we navigate these dynamics, we can seek guidance from Scripture and prayer to discern our actions and motivations.
References:

Group Dynamics:
Acts 2:44-46 describes how the early Christian community was devoted to one another, sharing their possessions and breaking bread together.
1 Corinthians 12:12-27 uses the analogy of the body to describe how each member of the church is important and has a role to play in the community.

Emotional Appeal:
John 11:35-38 tells the story of Jesus weeping after his friend Lazarus died, showing his emotional connection and compassion for his followers.
2 Corinthians 2:4 describes how Paul wrote a letter to the Corinthians "out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears," demonstrating his emotional investment in their spiritual well-being.

Charismatic Leadership:
Matthew 4:19-20 describes how Jesus called his disciples to follow him, and they immediately left their fishing nets to do so.
Acts 14:12-14 tells the story of how the people of Lystra mistook Paul and Barnabas for gods because of the miraculous healings they had performed.

Sense of Purpose:
Matthew 28:19-20 records Jesus' command to his disciples to go and make disciples of all nations, giving them a clear sense of purpose and mission.
Acts 20:24 describes how Paul saw his own life as a mission to spread the gospel, saying "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."
“And do you think that unto such as you
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew
God gave a secret, and denied it me?
Well, well—what matters it? Believe that, too!”
― Omar Khayyâm

Savant

Re: Bible Study: Religious Tactics

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:40 pm ...
Introduction: Religious organizations have been known to use various tactics to motivate individuals to contribute time and money. ...
I think all Christians should know this early christian writing about those who ask money:

And when an Apostle goes forth let him accept nothing but bread till he reach his night's lodging; but if he ask for money, he is a false prophet.
Didakhe XI:6 (http://www.thedidache.com/)

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:12 am
Introduction: Religious organizations have been known to use various tactics to motivate individuals to contribute time and money. ...
I think all Christians should know this early christian writing about those who ask money:

And when an Apostle goes forth let him accept nothing but bread till he reach his night's lodging; but if he ask for money, he is a false prophet.
So you're no fan of Paul, then:
In 1 Corinthians 9:11-14, Paul argues that it is reasonable for ministers of the gospel to receive financial support from those they minister to. He compares this to the idea of a farmer who sows seed and then reaps a material harvest. Paul also notes that this practice is in line with the Lord's commandment that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from it.

In 1 Timothy 5:17-18, Paul emphasizes the importance of supporting those who are leading and teaching in the church. He quotes two Old Testament passages to support his argument: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages." These quotes emphasize the idea that those who work hard deserve to be compensated for their labor.

In Galatians 6:6, Paul encourages believers to share all good things with their instructors in the word. This includes financial support as well as other forms of assistance. This passage highlights the importance of supporting those who are teaching and leading in the church.

However, I believe you are right. I believe true Christians shouldn't ask for money. I imagine that makes most of the Church body led by false Christians.
― Omar Khayyâm

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:40 pm This is going to be a future Bible study. I'd appreciate your thought son how to refine it.
Sense of Purpose:
Matthew 28:19-20 records Jesus' command to his disciples to go and make disciples of all nations, giving them a clear sense of purpose and mission.
Acts 20:24 describes how Paul saw his own life as a mission to spread the gospel, saying "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."
What is it you wanted to debate?

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:25 pm

In 1 Corinthians 9:11-14, Paul argues that it is reasonable for ministers of the gospel to receive financial support from those they minister to. He compares this to the idea of a farmer who sows seed and then reaps a material harvest. Paul also notes that this practice is in line with the Lord's commandment that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from it.
Receive their living is not necessary asking money. Apostle is allowed to ask a place to spend his night and food.

Into whatever city or village you enter, find out who in it is worthy; and stay there until you go on. As you enter into the household, greet it. If the household is worthy, let your peace come on it, but if it isn’t worthy, let your peace return to you. Whoever doesn’t receive you, nor hear your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake off the dust from your feet.
Matt. 10:11-14

But the message of God should be free, because:

...Freely you received, so freely give.
Matt. 10:8

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by boatsnguitars »

1213 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:27 am
boatsnguitars wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:25 pm

Receive their living is not necessary asking money. Apostle is allowed to ask a place to spend his night and food.

Into whatever city or village you enter, find out who in it is worthy; and stay there until you go on. As you enter into the household, greet it. If the household is worthy, let your peace come on it, but if it isn’t worthy, let your peace return to you. Whoever doesn’t receive you, nor hear your words, as you go out of that house or that city, shake off the dust from your feet.
Matt. 10:11-14

But the message of God should be free, because:

...Freely you received, so freely give.
Matt. 10:8
Interesting. You say "I think all Christians should know this early christian writing about those who ask money" implying that asking for money is not only wrong, but being a false prophet (and we know what the Bible says we should do with false prophets!), so i get you a quote from Paul himself about him asking for and receiving money, and you counter with a verse from Matthew - a different person altogether and you ignore Paul, as if Matt's comment overrides Paul's comment.

Is there anything else you feel we can ignore from Paul?

(Also, what you've done is shown another contradiction in the Bible. Paul clearly contradicts Matt.)

In 1 Timothy 5:17-18, Paul emphasizes the importance of supporting those who are leading and teaching in the church. He quotes two Old Testament passages to support his argument: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain," and "The worker deserves his wages." These quotes emphasize the idea that those who work hard deserve to be compensated for their labor.

In Galatians 6:6, Paul encourages believers to share all good things with their instructors in the word. This includes financial support as well as other forms of assistance. This passage highlights the importance of supporting those who are teaching and leading in the church.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/paying_the_pastor

Also, I have to wonder how you feel about Dr. William Lane Craig, Josh McDowell, Televangelists, and all those people who clearly ask for money to spread the gospel....
― Omar Khayyâm

boatsnguitars
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by boatsnguitars »

Miles wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:58 pm
boatsnguitars wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:40 pm This is going to be a future Bible study. I'd appreciate your thought son how to refine it.
Sense of Purpose:

Group Dynamics: In what ways does being part of a community or group influence our decision to contribute time and money? How can this sense of belonging be both positive and negative? How can we ensure that our involvement in a community is healthy and not manipulative?

Emotional Appeal: How do stories and personal testimonies impact our emotions and decision-making process? How can we discern when emotional appeals are being used in a manipulative way?

Charismatic Leadership: How do charismatic leaders influence our decision to contribute time and money? What is the role of authority in religious organizations? How can we ensure that we are not blindly following a charismatic leader?

Sense of Purpose: In what ways can having a sense of purpose and meaning motivate us to contribute time and money? How can we discern when our sense of purpose is being manipulated? How can we ensure that our sense of purpose is aligned with our values and beliefs?
― Omar Khayyâm

bjs1
Sage

Post #8

Post by bjs1 »

I tried to look at this the way that I would any other Bible study I might lead in a regular setting. Here is the conclusion I came to:

This is a manipulative study. The author has chosen an end goal and then tried to find a way to justify that belief by forcing the scripture to fit it.

A healthy study on any topic (be it he Bible or something else) starts with the material being studied and then draws conclusions from that. This starts with the desired conclusion and tries to justify that conclusion. This is not a Bible study. This is a study of this author’s beliefs.

My recommendation on how to refine this as a Bible study: Start from scratch. Burn this study, go back to the source material, and try to find what the source material is saying instead of what the author wants to say.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

boatsnguitars wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:58 am
Miles wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:58 pm
Sense of Purpose:

TEN questions!! You've got to be kidding. In any case . . .

lots of luck and have a good day.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

w$z%

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

1213 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:27 amReceive their living is not necessary asking money.
Once you make a business of something, a business is all it will be.
- Purple Knight

Once, Socrates asked of Thrasymachus, "Is the physician, taken in that strict sense of which you are speaking, a healer of the sick or a maker of money?"

And what should have been the answer, is a maker of money. The one who doesn't make money will go out of business, losing to the one who does. This creates all kinds of perverse incentives including that the physician does better if he never makes his patient completely healthy.

Some things shouldn't be businesses.